Jump to content

At least it was the only thing that went poorly..


Recommended Posts

11U district finals losers bracket last team to go, next game is for championship (double elim) 

I got plate for a 3 man crew, guys I have been there done that with before so no big plate meeting just signals and run everything as per normal right? yep OK

GET thru lineups and National Anthem ( Phew no one kneeled ) 

I noticed the plate looked very nice and white so yeah they sprayed it.

HT pitcher warms up and catcher tosses down to 2nd 

I give the plate the ole 1st inning dust off and AWESOME, Its still wet and 50% of that nice new paint comes off with my brush and 50% of the dirt that was on the plate is now embedded in the tacky paint that was left there..

 

Sigh, just hope the rest of the game does not go like this.....

 

It did not decent game finished in 6 innings 1hr 30 min  HT won 9-0   couple bang bang calls don't feel anyone blew any. Had 2 issues but we got them correct

1 HT in bottom of 4 R1,R2 no outs, batter hits a shot between P5.P6 hole and R2 collided with P5 after ball has gone thru. they both tumble to the ground and BU2 standing right on it says nothing... UGH..   I note the INT  and watch  the player gets up and runs to 3rd his coach sends him to which he is thrown out by a country mile, Well ok more like 10 feet but yeah you get it.

I call him out and the 3B coach ( MGR)  calls time and walks down.  Hey blue did you not see the interference the 3rd baseman caused.  I said "Yes I noted it, and I would have given him 3rd BUT you sent him home and he is on his own at that point.  I at the time would not have judged him to be safe at any point at home based on his running.  Coach nodded and then smiled and said "but he's really fast blue," big grin on his face.  I chuckled and said sorry call stands.  Gave the out signal.  He knew he should not have done what he did in send the kid but he was giving it the ole college try..

The other was VT up at the plate bases loaded. Ball hit to P6 and he makes about 5 steps to 2nd and gives the slowest under hand toss to P4  However R1 was pretty quick and had already slid into 2nd safe.  AWKWARD..  If R6 had thrown the ball from where he was the runner would have been out by at least 4 steps.     BU1 called it correctly and was right on top of it.  One of those ?HUH? moments.

other than that pretty uneventful game.

Just wished it had a better start that a paint smeared plate and brush LOL

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

1 HT in bottom of 4 R1,R2 no outs, batter hits a shot between P5.P6 hole and R2 collided with P5 after ball has gone thru. they both tumble to the ground and BU2 standing right on it says nothing... UGH..   I note the INT  and watch  the player gets up and runs to 3rd his coach sends him to which he is thrown out by a country mile, Well ok more like 10 feet but yeah you get it.

I call him out and the 3B coach ( MGR)  calls time and walks down.  Hey blue did you not see the interference the 3rd baseman caused.  I said "Yes I noted it, and I would have given him 3rd BUT you sent him home and he is on his own at that point.  I at the time would not have judged him to be safe at any point at home based on his running.  Coach nodded and then smiled and said "but he's really fast blue," big grin on his face.  I chuckled and said sorry call stands.  Gave the out signal.  He knew he should not have done what he did in send the kid but he was giving it the ole college try..

What is "P5/P^?" -- I assumed it was just a typo for F5/F6 -- but you used it again in the next section.

It was OBS, not INT

No need to give a second "out" signal after you talked with the manager

Now you know not to brush off the spray painted plate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, noumpere said:

What is "P5/P^?" -- I assumed it was just a typo for F5/F6 -- but you used it again in the next section.

It was OBS, not INT

No need to give a second "out" signal after you talked with the manager

Now you know not to brush off the spray painted plate

Yeah I am using P for position instead of F   for F me.. whoops messed that up

OBS yes but the coach said Interference and I went with his wording my mistake on that too

Why no need to give a 2nd out signal?  cause I was correct in my call and did not reverse it?  I just assumed you either changed the call and or signaled it to let everyone know what the outcome of the discussion was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Well ok more like 10 feet

Only 10? If a player got completely knocked down, it's quite likely they would have run 10 feet in the time it takes them to get back up and get back to speed.

Now if it was 30 feet, that's a horse of a different color.

Your judgment, obviously, but if a player gets completely knocked down (as opposed to a stumble), I'm giving him quite a lot

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Can I ask: Why didn’t you signal the OBS?  

 

Cause the Base umpire was standing right there observing the whole thing and I did not want to step on his toes...  I honestly thought to and will chat with him if I see him again soon but I do not know if I will due to scheduling.

But I did find it odd he did not call it out

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Only 10? If a player got completely knocked down, it's quite likely they would have run 10 feet in the time it takes them to get back up and get back to speed.

Now if it was 30 feet, that's a horse of a different color.

Your judgment, obviously, but if a player gets completely knocked down (as opposed to a stumble), I'm giving him quite a lot

Yeah but they fielded the ball and stood there with it too the ball was picked up by the left fielder in SHORT LF and he could not throw to 3rd as F5 was still getting up.  So they only thru home once R2 headed home.   Again I am basing it off where F5 and R2 collided and when the ball was picked up.  I know you cannot see it but based on that no way would he have attempted home normally. I am positive the coach sent him in hopes the throw would be offline and or he could argue the OBS.  But I marked the clear OBS and my head said he makes 3rd but not home.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

 

Cause the Base umpire was standing right there observing the whole thing and I did not want to step on his toes...  I honestly thought to and will chat with him if I see him again soon but I do not know if I will due to scheduling.

But I did find it odd he did not call it out

 

Then why address it with the coach?

"You're asking the wrong one coach"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Yeah but they fielded the ball and stood there with it too the ball was picked up by the left fielder in SHORT LF and he could not throw to 3rd as F5 was still getting up.  So they only thru home once R2 headed home.   Again I am basing it off where F5 and R2 collided and when the ball was picked up.  I know you cannot see it but based on that no way would he have attempted home normally. I am positive the coach sent him in hopes the throw would be offline and or he could argue the OBS.  But I marked the clear OBS and my head said he makes 3rd but not home.

Arright. Sounds fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Then why address it with the coach?

"You're asking the wrong one coach"

 

That coach called time and went to the BU there and he then pointed to me.. WhIcH I FoUnD OdD 

 

but I was like meh I saw it and if he the BU wants my judgment on the issue then I will chat with the coach about it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

 

That coach called time and went to the BU there and he then pointed to me.. WhIcH I FoUnD OdD 

 

but I was like meh I saw it and if he the BU wants my judgment on the issue then I will chat with the coach about it.

 

So your P threw YOU under the bus lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tborze said:

So your P threw YOU under the bus lol

I was PU

Thinking back on it more while I discuss it, IT IS possible as he was in a shallow C He may have been moving and missed the contact.

I honestly looked for him when I saw it and thought HE saw it but He may still have been "coming about" after moving toward D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I was PU

Thinking back on it more while I discuss it, IT IS possible as he was in a shallow C He may have been moving and missed the contact.

I honestly looked for him when I saw it and thought HE saw it but He may still have been "coming about" after moving toward D

 

P=Partner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the Evans/Nelson Maximizing Manual, a recognized secondary duty of the PU is to watch out for and call any obstruction or interference that the BU may have missed. If BU doesn't point and make a call or give a "that's nothing" call after a collision which results in both players on the ground, then I've got to assume BU either didn't see it or didn't see enough of it to know whether the fielder actually obstructed or was still in the motion/momentum of trying to field a ball that has now passed by, so at that point, if I'm PU, I need to step in and make a call (if I got one) or a "that's nothing" safe mechanic if it were just a train wreck--then it's my call for a coach to challenge. If neither umpire makes a call after two players end up on the ground, and a coach comes out (guaranteed one or both will be coming out), optically it's probably a good time for the umpires to get together and speak with one voice (as opposed to having successive conversations with the coach). Just my two cents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Recontra said:

According to the Evans/Nelson Maximizing Manual, a recognized secondary duty of the PU is to watch out for and call any obstruction or interference that the BU may have missed. If BU doesn't point and make a call or give a "that's nothing" call after a collision which results in both players on the ground, then I've got to assume BU either didn't see it or didn't see enough of it to know whether the fielder actually obstructed or was still in the motion/momentum of trying to field a ball that has now passed by, so at that point, if I'm PU, I need to step in and make a call (if I got one) or a "that's nothing" safe mechanic if it were just a train wreck--then it's my call for a coach to challenge. If neither umpire makes a call after two players end up on the ground, and a coach comes out (guaranteed one or both will be coming out), optically it's probably a good time for the umpires to get together and speak with one voice (as opposed to having successive conversations with the coach). Just my two cents.

Yup. If the primary doesn't make a signal of some sort, then the secondary can (I would say has to) step up. I trust my partner to make some sort of signal, so if they don't, and I don't have a good look at it, it's nothing, and that will be the explanation. Likewise, if I don't have a look at it as BU, and I do nothing, I trust my partner to take care of the call. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I was PU

Thinking back on it more while I discuss it, IT IS possible as he was in a shallow C He may have been moving and missed the contact.

I honestly looked for him when I saw it and thought HE saw it but He may still have been "coming about" after moving toward D

 

I think if a guy got knocked on his ass, that's kind of hard to miss.  And if your partner doesn't make the call, and it's an 11U, you should probably go ahead and call obstruction to clear up the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...