Umpire changes call

Guest Joe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 995 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I  play senior softball , I hit a ball and beat it out  umpire called me safe. Umpire walked over to me and said your out claiming I didn’t step on runners base which I argued saying why did you call me safe and I believe I did step on rubbers base because I would have ran into the first base men can he change his call by the way we were losing by 15 runs at the time 

12 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Guest Joe said:

by the way we were losing by 15 runs at the time 

That probably cost you the game. But seriously, not familiar with softball. Others here may know about the runners bag.

He probably instinctively called safe because he usually makes the call based on timing (stepping on bag and pop of ball in mitt), and then realized his eyes saw you step on fielders bag.

That means he made a call too quickly, but yes, if he realized you didn’t step on runners base, he can change the call.

No different than an umpire calling the batter out because the ball beat him, only to realize 1B dropped the ball, so he changes call to safe.  It’s poor timing, but gets the call correct

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guest Joe said:

I  play senior softball , I hit a ball and beat it out  umpire called me safe. Umpire walked over to me and said your out claiming I didn’t step on runners base which I argued saying why did you call me safe and I believe I did step on rubbers base because I would have ran into the first base men can he change his call by the way we were losing by 15 runs at the time 

I need to ask a question to clarify something.

What's your F*#King point?

You know, on one hand I feel as if we have been piling on to some of the guests recently.  On the other hand, we keep getting posts like these ... Do you have a video on Youtube that you would like to direct us to?

I will try to give it some seriousness though.  Guest Joe:

• If you are down 15-0, don't argue anything.  If you are up 15-0, don't argue anything.  Get out of that game as fast as you can and go have another beer.
  • If you down 1-0, don't argue anything.  If you are up 1-0, don't argue anything.  It is senior softball.  You should be having fun and getting some exercise.  If you aren't having fun, quit playing.  
  • Missed bases are an appeal play.  Don't ask why (the answer is the rulebook says so).  That means an umpire cannot initiate the call.  The umpire is going to make a call as if everything was fine and then the defense will appeal and you will be called out.
  • Did I mention don't argue anything.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

• Missed bases are an appeal play.  Don't ask why (the answer is the rulebook says so).  That means an umpire cannot initiate the call.  The umpire is going to make a call as if everything was fine and then the defense will appeal and you will be called out.

This "might" not be a "missed base"...if he only touched the "fair" base it is typically treated as a missed base, but only if he entirely misses the foul base...if the runner catches any piece of the foul base it typically doesn't matter if he touched the other half...he touched the proper base and is safe...but I have seen some slow pitch leagues where touching the wrong side of the base at all is an auto-out - basically an EXTREME safety measure to make sure the fielder and runner don't collide (especially common in mixed leagues where you may have a 95 pound girl playing first and a 280 pound idiot running down the line).

1 minute ago, The Man in Blue said:

True @beerguy55.  All dependent on code.

I've never heard it called the "fair base" and the "foul base" before though.  

Here's an excerpt from the International Rules of Softball, which you would have seen in the Olympics earlier this week.   I think they got away from colors as it wasn't always orange...and with the rules allowing the runner/fielder to switch the colored side was no longer the safety side...so I think they just went with fair/foul to describe the halves/sides...

2. The double base is approved for use at first base. This base shall be of the dimensions set out in Appendix 1-D and made of canvas or other suitable material. Half the base is secured in fair territory, and half the base (of a different solid contrasting color) is secured in foul territory.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY TO THE DOUBLE BASE:

a) A batted ball hitting the fair portion is declared fair, and a batted ball hitting the foul portion only is declared foul.

b) If a play is made at first base on any batted ball, or (FP ONLY) the batter runs on a dropped third strike, and the batter-runner touches only the fair portion, and if the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to the fair portion of first base, the batter-runner is out. NOTE: This is treated the same as missing the base.

c) A defensive player must use only the fair portion of the base at all times. EXCEPTION: On any live ball play made from first base foul territory, the batter-runner and the defensive player may use either base. When the defensive player uses the foul portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory and if hit by a throw from the foul side of first base, it would not be interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the batter-runner would be out. NOTE: The one meter line is doubled on throws from foul territory.

d) After over-running the base, the batter-runner must return to the fair portion.

e) On balls hit to the outfield when there is no play being made at the double base, the batter-runner may touch either portion of the base.

f) When tagging up on a fly ball, the fair portion must be used.

g) On an attempted pick-off play (FP ONLY) the runner must return to the fair portion.

h) Once a runner returns to the fair portion, should he stand on the foul portion only, it is considered not in contact with the base and the runner shall be called out, if 1. He is tagged with the ball, or 2. He stands on the foul portion of the base, while the pitcher has possession of the ball within the pitcher’s circle.

• Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 995 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.