Appeal Play

NWO Ump

Wanted confirmation on my interpretation here...FED rules.

R3, 1 out.  Fly ball to F8.  R3 scores but left early on the tag.  Defense goes for a live ball appeal.  In doing so, the ball is thrown into dead ball territory.  Knowing what the defense was appealing and after touching home, R3 heads back to 3B to retouch and then heads back to touch home again.  Questions are 1) Can the defense still appeal leaving the base early and 2) Is R3 permitted to to go back and retouch 3B?

My contention is the defense does not lose the ability to appeal because I can't find anything that prohibits it.  And R3 cannot go back and retouch 3B due to 8-2-6d: "A runner may not return to touch a missed base or one left too soon on a caught fly ball if: 1)he has reached a base beyond the base missed or left too soon and the ball becomes dead"

Therefore, the defense would win a dead-ball appeal as R3 is unable to retouch.  Would I be correct in my interpretion?

• Like 1

You are correct about the defense: they may appeal again if the live-ball appeal goes out of play.

Whether R3 may return depends on the timing. If he touched HP and THEN the ball became dead—actually went out of play, not the time of the throw—then he may return and correct his error. Technically, he needs to touch HP first on the return, but if he touches it on the last time by his miss will be nullified. Note that in this scenario, R3 must be given time to "complete his base-running responsibilities" before we rule on a dead-ball appeal.

But if the ball became dead and THEN he touched HP, per the rule you cited, R3 may not legally return to 3B. Even if he actually does so, we should grant a subsequent retouch appeal on him. In this scenario, I would NOT wait until he finished running between 3B and HP to rule on the appeal, because his doing so doesn't count.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maven said:

Whether R3 may return depends on the timing. If he touched HP and THEN the ball became dead—actually went out of play, not the time of the throw—then he may return and correct his error. Technically, he needs to touch HP first on the return, but if he touches it on the last time by his miss will be nullified. Note that in this scenario, R3 must be given time to "complete his base-running responsibilities" before we rule on a dead-ball appeal.

I think that's true in OBR, but not in FED.

In FED, the OP is correct.

Didn't we just (within the past week or so) discuss this?