Runner misses base on Grand Slam

Guest Ump Supporter

Question

Guest Ump Supporter

Summer College league game last night, and the batter hit the ball over the fence with the bases loaded and two outs in the 6th inning. R1 missed home plate and was called out on appeal, which was the third out of the inning. R2 and R3  were allowed to score, so two runs were properly counted and two were “taken off the board.”  The batter was only awarded a single, however - is this correct? I know the batter can not be scored with a home run but I would have thought a double (at least) would have been scored. 

Also, if there were less than two outs in this situation, I believe that R3 would be ruled out on appeal, but BR would be allowed to have his run count. Is this correct?  Would this be considered a home run?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Guest Ump Supporter said:

R2 and R3  were allowed to score, so two runs were properly counted and two were “taken off the board.”

Right: the missed-base appeal is a time play, so R3's and R2's runs count. R1 was out on appeal, and the BR's run can't count if a preceding runner makes the 3rd out.

The batter was only awarded a single, however - is this correct?

Who knows? I don't keep score.

Also, if there were less than two outs in this situation, I believe that R3 would be ruled out on appeal, but BR would be allowed to have his run count. Is this correct?

Assuming you mean R1, yes.

Would this be considered a home run?

Of course, why not?

Guest Ump Supporter
5 hours ago, maven said:

Assuming you mean R1, yes.

Yes - I meant R1. Thanks. 

Still wondering why the batter only gets credit for a single. Doesn’t seem right to me. 

To our guest, by rule the batter-runner cannot be credited with a triple because a preceding runner was declared out at the plate—

2021 NCAA rule 10-6b Note: Do not credit the batter with a three-base hit when a preceding runner is put out at the plate, or would have been out but for an error. Do not credit the batter with a two-base hit when a preceding runner trying to advance from first base is put out at third base, or would have been out but for an error.

When the R1 was appealed and called out, the out is considered to have occurred at the time of the infraction. If your batter-runner had only legally attained first base and not yet touched second base when R1 missed the plate he would be credited with just a single.

• Like 1

Guest Ump Supporter

Thanks for the clarification. It would take sharp eyes to know where BR was when R1 crossed the plate without touching it. I doubt he was more than two bases behind, but I understand the rule now. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Guest Ump Supporter said:

Thanks for the clarification. It would take sharp eyes to know where BR was when R1 crossed the plate without touching it. I doubt he was more than two bases behind, but I understand the rule now. Thanks!

This is what happens when a batter show boats and watches his blast for too long.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.