How to see bunt vs. batters feet?

I'm looking for help on the best way to watch a bunt so you 1. see the attempt, 2. follow the ball for fair foul, 3. watch the feet for being out of the box / on the plate.

I got a clear on-the-plate out earlier this year but the kid was 1. crowding the plate to the extent his toes were outside the box and 2. he had several failed bunt attempts already where he squared so that his right foot was on the plate.

This weekend I had a kid bunt successfully the first attempt.  The ball bounces down and up and hits him as his torso is between the batters boxes.  My attention was on the ball the whole time, I did not see his feet.  Called foul, defensive coach comes out to argue he was out of the box.  I told him foul stands as I think to myself I can't call what I didn't see.

Which brings up my question: Is there a habit I can get into so I see the ball and the feet in most cases?  Do you guys follow the ball and then when it touches the player take a quick look at the feet? Or do you always see the bunt, look at feet, then back to the ball? 

Thanks.

The only way to do this is to have your right eye focus on the feet and the left eye focus / track the bat and the middle eye focus / track the ball.

If you can't do that, then something has to give.  It's usually the feet. ;)

24 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

I'm looking for help on the best way to watch a bunt so you 1. see the attempt, 2. follow the ball for fair foul, 3. watch the feet for being out of the box / on the plate.

1 and 2 are easy, because they happen sequentially. First watch 1. Then watch 2.

Nobody ever sees 3. Don't worry about it.

The only time we'd ever call 3 would be a case where the batter was 10 feet toward the mound before contacting the ball.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:10 AM, agdz59 said:

crowding the plate to the extent his toes were outside the box

Remember too that the foot has to be on the ground outside the box, i.e. if the heel is on the chalk, the BR is still in the box -even if they are on the plate. [he says nervously to see if he's right 🤞]

1 hour ago, Velho said:

Remember too that the foot has to be on the ground outside the box, i.e. if the heel is on the chalk, the BR is still in the box -even if they are on the plate. [he says nervously to see if he's right 🤞]

Depends on the code.

And, depends on whether this is while the batter is hitting the ball (assumed above)  or while he is taking his stance (in which case the entire foot needs to be ion the box -- and the lines are part of the box)

And remember @agdz59, fair/foul, safe/out are judgements. That coach can ask for time, wait for time and clarify what you called there but, anything more than that? He's questioning your judgement. Less is more from us...and warn when you need to. Don't tolerate anything beyond clarification there or you are promoting coaches coming out on judgement.

~Dawg

• Like 1