Check swing appeal

Guest Daryl M

Question

Guest Daryl M

Can anyone explain why it is perfectly acceptable for a catcher to appeal a check swing to the 1st/3rd base umpire but a batter can’t?

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

No player can appeal a check swing. F2 can request that the plate umpire do so. I did a 1-umpire game once, and F2 asked me to appeal a check swing call. So I checked with the batter's 1st base c

Only the defense can appeal Batting Out of Turn (duh) Really weird, unfair rule one: On a third strike if the catcher drops the ball the batter can run and try to reach first base. But,

Wow...just wow.   In your world every umpire should go for help to all his partners to make sure every judgment call has a consensus. Umpires don't go to other umpires just to get a second opinio

Posted Images

On 7/19/2021 at 7:54 PM, SH0102 said:

To add to my comment, 99% of non-umpires have little understanding of what constitutes a half-swing or an “offer”.

A study was done on mlb half-swings and found that upon appeal, 50% were called swings and 50% weren’t.  But sports science analyzed with technology the half-swings and found that 80% actually offered, meaning even MLB umps were missing out on 30% of the check swing strikes.

My point is, when a batter starts a swing, 80% of the time they actually offer.

So next time you’re at a game; count the number of times the plate umpire says “yes he did” and how many times they say “ball” on their own.  

then add the number of appeals and keep track of how many times BU says “yes” and “no”

If they are getting less than 80% of those strikes, they are missing strikes 

Just to add to this enthralling parade of shrugs and emphatic points to the rule book ... 😉

If an umpire is calling 50% when the expected number is 80% ... he is missing 37.5% of the calls, not 30%.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, SH0102 said:

But sports science analyzed with technology the half-swings and found that 80% actually offered

(Not picking a fight, I swear. Just ask my wife she'll back me that I don't... do... that. Oh, never mind.)

How can technology judge "offering"? Do you have a cite?

3 hours ago, Velho said:

(Not picking a fight, I swear. Just ask my wife she'll back me that I don't... do... that. Oh, never mind.)

No, was told that at an NCAA clinic

And perhaps it just means going back and looking at them in slow-mo, I’m not sure .

On 7/26/2021 at 4:56 PM, Velho said:

The same way it calls a strike that bounces through the zone.

• Haha 1
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.