MLB Ejection 101 - Jeremy Riggs (1; Luis Rojas)

HP Umpire Jeremy Riggs ejected Mets manager Luis Rojas (fair ball call; QOCY) in the bottom of the 1st inning of the #Mets-#Pirates game. With one out and the bases loaded, Pirates batter Kevin Newman hit a 0-1 sinker from Mets pitcher Taijuan Walker softly on the ground up the third base line,...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

5 hours ago, SH0102 said:

Suspension should be tripled bc he was wrong and did that to an umpire who made the correct call

+1...I'm tired of seeing MLB managers who either don't know the rules, don't care about the rules or just flat out wanna' go out there and go after an umpire because they wanna' "rep their squad". And this bs move by managers, coaches and or players where when they get ejected they get to "get their money's worth" and just keep cursing and cussing the umpire. Grow up! One time...just one time, I'd love to see a guy tossed and simply walk off the field. For no other reason than he simply respects the umpire's decision to remove him from the game. There needs to be additional games added to suspensions or more if you get ejected in a situation where the umpire made the correct call. At some point all of this stops being about alleged grown men being played millions of dollars to play a children's game and starts to become a manhood issue.

~Dawg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

+1...I'm tired of seeing MLB managers who either don't know the rules, don't care about the rules or just flat out wanna' go out there and go after an umpire because they wanna' "rep their squad". And this bs move by managers, coaches and or players where when they get ejected they get to "get their money's worth" and just keep cursing and cussing the umpire. Grow up! One time...just one time, I'd love to see a guy tossed and simply walk off the field. For no other reason than he simply respects the umpire's decision to remove him from the game. There needs to be additional games added to suspensions or more if you get ejected in a situation where the umpire made the correct call. At some point all of this stops being about alleged grown men being played millions of dollars to play a children's game and starts to become a manhood issue.

~Dawg

Namely bc youth reflects MLB.  They see those guys do it, so they do it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Haha F*#K ESPN….. “for excessive arguing.” This is why I don’t watch their crap product anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which echoes my objection to using the words “This is your warning …”.  It leads one to incorrectly infer there is an acceptable and expected amount of arguing.

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

It leads one to incorrectly infer there is an acceptable and expected amount of arguing.

But there is. Even in the MLB, coaches come out to argue a lot. Most of them don't lead to ejections or even warnings.

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

But there is. Even in the MLB, coaches come out to argue a lot. Most of them don't lead to ejections or even warnings.

... and that is part of the culture of the game that needs to change. 

I am not talking about coach coming out and asking about a call or presenting what they think/hope happened.  The practice of allowing them to act like an idiot UP TO A POINT needs to change.  If the culture of hate towards umpires is going to change, that is a place where it needs to start.

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

... and that is part of the culture of the game that needs to change. 

Know how / where we (amateur) umpires can do our part, as a starting point? 

• Stop saying at plate meetings, “If you disagree with a call (they all do, or will eventually), call time (they don’t call Time, only we (umpires) can / do), go to the umpire who made the call (they don’t, or won’t). We’ll get together and render our judgement (which is the source of the “go for help! You have to go for help!” pleadings).. “ Just stop it. 
  • Stop caving in and attempting to placate or appease the pleaders by “going for help” unwarranted. 
  • Like 5