Diamond metal indicator

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 990 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If you can't find one here's my favorite, with the balls on top.  It's got big numbers and is especially easy to read at night (UmpAttire didn't have this model, at least not last time I checked):

https://purchaseofficials.com/collections/ball-bags-plate-brushes-indicators/products/3-way-large-plastic-umpire-indicator-with-balls-on-top

19 hours ago, Minnz said:

All-star makes a good metal indicator and it is notched too.

This one.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/UC5-BC/All-Star-4-Dial-Die-Cast-Metal-Umpire-Indicator-3-2-2-Count

Once you use it, you won't want to go back to any other.

I swear I need to put together a 3-D printable "system", where you can select your layout (3 up-and-down, 2-across-the-top, etc), and your dials (3, 4, 9, notched or not), and just let everybody decide what they like on their own.

• Like 5

On 7/22/2021 at 12:21 PM, Catch18 said:

He said balls on top; those aren’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do prefer it. I have a plastic one with balls on top but its thicker and doesn’t fit the hand as nice. I tried switching to the All Star heavyweight one but couldn’t get used to it so it went back.

I use the 4-dial Champro that @ArchAngel72 posted.  I have to replace them every couple of years due to the ridges wearing down and just general gunk build-up (sweat, sunblock, and dirt). I had been getting them from our USA rep for $5.

I’ve eyeballed the All-Star a few times, @kylehutson, but that price tag has always held me back.

Call me odd, but I have always wanted to start collecting indicators.  Not sure what odd ones are out there.  I remember seeing a blue “see through” plastic one a few years back at a clinic, but I’ve never come back across it since.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:35 PM, The Man in Blue said:

I’ve eyeballed the All-Star a few times, @kylehutson, but that price tag has always held me back.

I don't understand this.

I mean, yeah, I understand that you can get several cheapo's for the same price. But seriously, it's under $20. I've spent over double that on new mask pads that I didn't even need because I thought they looked better. I've spent more than that on shirts that I haven't even worn in the 3 years since I bought them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kylehutson said:

I don't understand this.

I mean, yeah, I understand that you can get several cheapo's for the same price. But seriously, it's under $20. I've spent over double that on new mask pads that I didn't even need because I thought they looked better. I've spent more than that on shirts that I haven't even worn in the 3 years since I bought them.

Wait until the Electronic Indicator actually hits the market (maybe). That as been going for $90 for the preproduction model. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, kylehutson said:

I don't understand this.

After 10 years of being cheap and stingy (and getting most of the kids out of the house) I am starting to spend more money on better gear.

I agree it isn’t much in the grand scheme, but when you are used to spending $5 that lasts 2-3 seasons ... Then again, I look at money spent on more foolish things ...

On 7/26/2021 at 10:54 PM, BT_Blue said:

Wait until the Electronic Indicator actually hits the market (maybe). That as been going for $90 for the preproduction model. 

Not spending that much ... but I have fantasized about an electronic indicator that has a timer built into it.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, kylehutson said:

This one.

I have that one and you are correct it is built like a tank and will probably last my lifetime. It is excellent quality and worth $18.  The problem I have with it is it is HEAVY, at least 3 times heaver than the one below.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

I prefer the champro one 

This is the one I use as well.

21 minutes ago, aaluck said:

The problem I have with it is it is HEAVY, at least 3 times heaver than the one below.

Solution: lift more weights. It's 4.4 oz. If you can't lift a quarter-pounder cheeseburger, you have other issues.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, The Man in Blue said:

Not spending that much ... but I have fantasized about an electronic indicator that has a timer built into it.

It has one. Plus a whole slew of other bells and whistles. But it has been almost a year since the first pre-production run. And I feel like it has lost a ton of the momentum it had at the start.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, aaluck said:

I can lift it...just don't care to carry it on the field with me.  (At least in my hand) :lol:

Side thought. The Johnny Bench/Blue Emu commercial they run on the MLB App between innings ALWAYS makes me laugh!

• Like 1