Ejection

Guest John
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1012 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Can someone explain to me how you can miss a belt high inside pitch by 6 inches then eject the scorekeeper sitting behind the plate for saying "that's literally inside the inside batters box". This was the first thing I said the entire game. I did not yell it. I said it just loud enough to hear so I would not be showing him up. He turns around and rips his mask off and points his finger at me as he walks to the backstop yelling not another word. I said "why?" Cause I didn't say anything worth a turn or a glance let alone him stopping the game mid at bat to yell at me. He then yells loudly to the coach "You need to put a lid on this kid". I am not a kid and he is not old enough to call me a kid so I said back "I am not a kid" he then throws me out. He then taunts me and waives. So evidently me questioning his judgement that I am a kid is now an ejectable offense. He escalated the whole situation and caused this whole thing. He got in my face. He was the one yelling. He was the one wrong. But of course there's no accountability for him.

Let it be known that I do not yell that often. I will say things quietly when bad calls happen because I know it happens. But I also am very nice when the umps do good and say thanks and good game, I know how hard the job is but I don't appreciate going to the ump show. There is no room for calls 6 inches inside or balls above his chin called a strike like in the first inning.

We have had him in the past and he has been fine. I haven't said anything to him before. Is he really just that sensitive?

Video: https://youtu.be/mx0rAAPnEcI

14 hours ago, Guest Nate said:

If you can find in the rule book where it says scorekeepers can’t cheer, I’ll write a complaint. That’s not a rule. I’m not saying what the scorekeeper did was right, because frankly it wasn’t, but he’s aloud to cheer

Nate - not sure if you saw my follow up. My first statement was an attempt to give the OP a direct answer (if he was in a place to hear it). 

Given you bothered to post, I'll assume you're in a place to hear me: Regarding your "that's not a rule" argument: baseball is different than so many other games. Social norms apply in a way unlike other sports. 

Every basketball game has an official scorer sitting at the little table at half court. Football has scoreboard runner who doesn't do much. Rec soccer doesn't even have one. Baseball has zero to three.

Additionally, in baseball the PU is stationary. "Sitting target" comes to mind. :)  Tennis and volleyball are only similar sports that come to mind. Football, basketball, soccer, hockey, certainly don't.

I could go on but won't. Just like society, we don't need a rule. Social norms can be applied in a self-correcting way and we can simple "play ball". 

On 7/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Guest John said:

I criticized the call. Not him.

First off that is a strike.  Listen to what the coach said he gave some great advice.  There is no reason to say anything.

Just because some kid jumps back on an inside pitch doesn't mean its a ball.  

Why is the ONLY person complaining the scorekeeper?  "I didn't even do anything".

John - are you old enough to know the phrase....  best to be seen and not heard........???

that's best for the SK, in effect you argued balls and strikes.... what did you expect to happen...  

Also keep in mind, if any portion of the ball, a thread of the stitching, crosses the plate it's a strike, the person best positioned to call that is PU, the video you posted it's impossible to tell, a ball can look off the plate where it's caught and still have crossed in the zone.....  

4 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Nate - are you old enough to know the phrase....  best to be seen and not heard........???

that's best for the SK, in effect you argued balls and strikes.... what did you expect to happen...  

Also keep in mind, if any portion of the ball, a thread of the stitching, crosses the plate it's a strike, the person best positioned to call that is PU, the video you posted it's impossible to tell, a ball can look off the plate where it's caught and still have crossed in the zone.....  

Nate is not the OP, and his question was addressed.  He misread the “official” SK (paid position) with a typical parent SK you see at youth games.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Guest John said:

Can someone explain to me ...... [blah blah blah]

When you started writing this post, I bet you thought you'd be supported and lauded for your alleged restraint and sense of Right And Wrong.

...... how'd that work out for ya?

If you're serving as the official scorekeeper, then you're supposed to be a neutral observer and recorder of events.  And as that neutral party, then STFU in general, and don't criticize the umpire's calls, period.

If that's just too much to ask - for you to quell your outrage, don't take the scorekeeping gig.

(And stay off YouTube.)

On 7/10/2021 at 3:28 PM, Guest Nate said:

This site is to ask questions on rules or any weird situation that may have happened in a game you saw, or umpired. This is not a site to get on and critique and criticize another umpire. If you are at the game and have questions on something the umpire did, that’s fine to ask, but accusing them of a call that was not wrong (or if it was, not by much) is not acceptable. 

Yep and you asked a question and got your answer

I have not listened to the video but the comment about guys here can FO  yeah childish.. 

grow up

I froze it just before the ball hit the glove, so close to the back end of the strike zone.  Also circled the ball bc it’s tough to see.

in what universe is this inside of the chalk as the OP says?

It’s about 4 feet from the batter, but bc he backed out it must be a ball?

6F1B6C43-5CD0-4AFC-BE5D-BF5A2C6818C5.jpeg

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1012 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.