The Pause That Refreshes....

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the mods do in their personal life is of no concern to me

And just ignore the ridiculousness of the hybrid rule once again. 

I can't wait to start awarding balls to the batter next season: "Illegal pitch! Time, that's an illegal pitch! Failure to lean!" "Illegal pitch! Time, that's an illegal pitch! Yes, he leaned

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Please tell me that a "lean" is not required, only a look.

There's another thread on this already.

I think F1 has to "nod" or "shake off" the pretend signs. Or it's, you know, a balk, right? Isn't everything F1 does wrong a balk?

56 minutes ago, maven said:

There's another thread on this already.

I think F1 has to "nod" or "shake off" the pretend signs. Or it's, you know, a balk, right? Isn't everything F1 does wrong a balk?

This was here before that thread. Mods probably will merge.

49 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Still might be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Merging is still illegal in 47 of the 50 states.

I don’t understand this rule change. Pitcher steps on. Stands up and down. Goes set. I’m sorry there youngster, you didn’t lean in…?

I don’t think I’ve ever had a pitcher take a signal directly from the dugout. If I have, he sure hasn’t tried to quick pitch, or take it while set, or whatever this rule is trying to prevent. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I don’t understand this rule change.

You know what this smells of? Number codes coming in from the dugout, and the pitcher looking at his wrist (or belt) card. Now armed with the “sign”, he steps on and engages, then comes set, and pitches in one legal sequence. Offensive coaches would be complaining because without the giving & taking of a sign, their runners can’t get the lead offs they’ve routinely gotten in the past. 

Why? Why do we constantly complicate things that are simple?

Quit changing rules that don't need to be changed!

We now have fake shake-offs? Another waste of time.

I can't wait to start awarding balls to the batter next season:

"Illegal pitch! Time, that's an illegal pitch! Failure to lean!"

"Illegal pitch! Time, that's an illegal pitch! Yes, he leaned, but he did not pretend to receive a sign from the catcher when he did so!"

Of course, if NFHS publishes approved signalling and audible mechanics for those calls, I'll certainly utilize those with zeal!

There's already a Quick Pitch Rule. Why not simply make that a point of emphasis? If quick pitching is an issue in some states, just reiterate and emphasize that rule. It already prohibits the harm this new rule is trying to address. Or, even add a section to 2.0 and define exactly what a quick pitch is and isn't. This seems silly to me.

• Like 2
On 7/10/2021 at 3:19 AM, MadMax said:

You know what this smells of? Number codes coming in from the dugout, and the pitcher looking at his wrist (or belt) card. Now armed with the “sign”, he steps on and engages, then comes set, and pitches in one legal sequence. Offensive coaches would be complaining because without the giving & taking of a sign, their runners can’t get the lead offs they’ve routinely gotten in the past. 

Strange question ... when can a runner take a lead?

NFHS says runners must touch the base after the ball becomes dead ... but I don't see any language about when they can start their lead.  Retouch and lead while the ball is still dead?  Not supposed to get off until the ball is live?

Admittedly, I think I have gotten sloppy on this.

Back on point ... I can't say for sure, but I believe Max is probably right about the wristbands.  And this is one rule that I can say with confidence came from softball.  I don't know how well it translates to baseball as the pitching sequence is obviously quite different.  I agree with @Recontra that the quick pitch rule already exists, enforce it here.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:11 PM, Recontra said:

There's already a Quick Pitch Rule. Why not simply make that a point of emphasis? If quick pitching is an issue in some states, just reiterate and emphasize that rule. It already prohibits the harm this new rule is trying to address. Or, even add a section to 2.0 and define exactly what a quick pitch is and isn't. This seems silly to me.

It's a sad situation, really. Instead of properly communicating what a QP is and isn't to coaches and players, they just write a rule and dump the situation in the umpires' laps.

Funny thing about balks, QPs and other illegal pitch related concerns...Once they are called, they are seldom (not never) a problem again in that game. And isn't that really true of any call (or non-call) by an umpire? But balks, QPs that are not called and should be called? That creates a very miserable game experience to all.

~Dawg

• Like 1

We'll see how this goes given the "emphasis" on the hybrid stance and how I saw it in 75% of the 24 varsity games I watched this year and never called. I feel for you all.

“…must now simulate taking a sign…”

“Coach, in my judgement, to me it looked like he looked at his catcher.”

Problem solved. Ask yourself this: in your local areas, will your coaches expect a run on uber-enforcement of this?

Let me be clear - you did not just interpret me saying “I’ll decide which rules I follow.” Not at all. I just don’t think this will be a problem. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know. But time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk