Slow pitch softball rule on commit line going joy.

Guest Tim
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1008 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

Not sure what ruleset or level this is, but in the men's softball league I play in, you cannot tag the runner after they pass the commit line. Runner will be awarded home.

We play under USSSA slow pitch rules. Not sure if that is in the USSSA book, or a local rule the complex has implemented. Like flyingron said, consult the league that is in charge.

In the vast majority of cases the runner scores (I don't believe it's a dead ball or anything like that, but some leagues may have a higher degree of enforcement - dead ball, all runners advance, maybe even ejection).

On 7/11/2021 at 10:28 AM, flyingron said:

If you're going to allow tags, why have the commit line at all then?    

I have seen at least one league that allowed tagging - one reason is to eliminate the gamesmanship that comes with standing at the commit line and waiting for the catcher to chase you or start a run down.  Leading to a foot race between the runner, to the line, and the catcher to the plate.   Which also forces the ump to determine if the tag happened before or after the line, and dealing with the positioning in doing so.  Much easier to just watch the play at the plate to see if the ball beats the runner.

There are still no slides at the plate or anything like that...it just lets a catcher tag a runner when they are both, for example, ten feet from the plate.  I don't like the rule, but I can understand where it makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Guest Thanks said:

Thanks for input but was hoping for actual rule in manual.  My understanding of rule is the same as most have quoted.

Alas, there's no mention of the line in the rules (at least not NCAA or USSSA Fast/Slow/Youth).    The USSSA slowpitch shows the commitment line in the depiction of the field marking but mentions nothing about it anywhere.

31 minutes ago, Guest Thanks said:

Thanks for input but was hoping for actual rule in manual.  My understanding of rule is the same as most have quoted.

You need to reference your league's, or, if applicable, tournament's, bi-laws...I've seen at least three different ways this rule is documented, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are half a dozen others.

1 hour ago, Guest Thanks said:

When it comes to rules like that, we all hope for an actual rule in an actual rulebook.  Maybe it's telling when we don't find that.

2 hours ago, Guest Thanks said:

Use Google.   I found these in about 8 seconds of effort.  And there were plenty more.  Search for commit or commitment within the docs...notice the third one specifically allows tags, the others don't.

Point is, there are dozens of variations, from what can and can't be done past the commit line...whether or not sliding is allowed...how far from home plate it is drawn, etc, etc.

https://brocku.ca/recreation/intramurals/rules/slow-pitch/

http://www.basl.ca/pdf/BASL_Rec_SloPitch_Rules.pdf

http://qsbl.ca/2016_SPN_Rulebook_Web.pdf