11-12 (Majors) LL Allstars

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1009 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a run of the mill MC ejection the other night in our District All Stars game:

Details of Ejections:

Top of 5th inning, 1 out, bases loaded, game tied 4-4. Sea View player #XX became involved in a run down between 3rd and Home. As #XX was attempting to score, the catcher for HV (#YY), with possession of the ball tagged #XX for the 2nd out of the inning. As #XX was tagged, he lowered his shoulder and arms in a non-defensive manner and purposely created contact by driving his shoulder up and into the lower chin of HV player #YY.

I immediately called time, declared #XX out as he was tagged prior to achieving home plate and the catcher retained possession of the ball, and ejected him from the game for his unsportsmanlike and dangerous conduct. 

Post Ejection:

The game was delayed for approx. 5 minutes as HV player #YY was shaken up in the play. The umpire crew, along with the scorer and TD conferred to ensure all available players had met MPR and needed to determine the bench player who would be recalled from the bench for ejected player #XX.

After the delay, the game resumed with no further issues.

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Good Ejection!

I hope said player gets a 2 game sit down from that too.  Was not only against the rule must attempt to avoid contact but was malicious in his attempt to blow up the play/player.

Isn’t it a 1 game suspension?

3 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I wonder how long it's going to be until humanity sits around saying, "Hey...remember when guys used to truck catchers?"

Good ejection as described here.

~Dawg

When I worked for Circuit City Chad Kreuter was a customer of mine once in the summer of 96 or 97.  Wondering why he was in my store in the middle of a season he explained that he had been in a collision at the plate and was at home showering and passed out.  Turns out he had internal bleeding due to the collision.  And don't forget Ray Fosse.  That truck job by Rose was the most unnecessary collision in the history of MLB.   An exhibition game.

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

When I worked for Circuit City Chad Kreuter was a customer of mine once in the summer of 96 or 97.  Wondering why he was in my store in the middle of a season he explained that he had been in a collision at the plate and was at home showering and passed out.  Turns out he had internal bleeding due to the collision.  And don't forget Ray Fosse.  That truck job by Rose was the most unnecessary collision in the history of MLB.   An exhibition game.

Rose/Fosse happened the year before I was born but, when I was 11 and had been catching for two years, I saw the clip while watching that year's All-Star Game. You know..."Great All-Star Game Moments" and all that.

I turned to my father and said, "So, that could happen to me?" There was a long pause, a tear formed in the old man's eye as he gave a thousand yard stare and said quietly..."Yup." I lost some innocence about the world that day...

I went to practice a few days later and told my Coach what I had seen and my fears. He made a point of finding a Dad of one of the kids on the team who had played catcher and we talked at great length about positioning, playing throws into the plate and yeah...part of the risk of the position are collisions.

I guess it's like Mr. Rogers used to say...When bad things happen, look for the helpers.

Years later, when Rose was run out of baseball for gambling, I remember saying, "Well, yeah...that's the guy who trucked Ray Fosse...in an All-Star game."

~Dawg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Rose/Fosse happened the year before I was born but, when I was 11 and had been catching for two years, I saw the clip while watching that year's All-Star Game. You know..."Great All-Star Game Moments" and all that.

~Dawg

Dawg, I'm old enough to have watched that play live on TV as a young little leaguer. I thought it was a dirty play at the time as did most people.

I think that play damaged Rose's reputation so much it helped keep him out of the Hall.

Yes, the gambling instigated it, but Fosse minimized any goodwill that might have helped overcome people's reluctance to deny such an obvious talent their place in the Hall. 

• Like 1

Had a play at the plate the other night (LL Majors LLWS Districts) that illustrates another rub.

R3, wild pitch, F2 retrieves, tries to toss to F1 covering and there is a collision.  F1 did not have the ball, nor was he in a position to make a play.   

Ruled the runner safe as no play was made.  I judged that there was NOT malicious contact.  While F1 was being attended to, the DM got into my face and said, "Now, there's a MUST SLIDE RULE......"  And that's when all the trouble started.

Mike

Las Vegas

On 7/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

Had a play at the plate the other night (LL Majors LLWS Districts) that illustrates another rub.

R3, wild pitch, F2 retrieves, tries to toss to F1 covering and there is a collision.  F1 did not have the ball, nor was he in a position to make a play.   

Ruled the runner safe as no play was made.  I judged that there was NOT malicious contact.  While F1 was being attended to, the DM got into my face and said, "Now, there's a MUST SLIDE RULE......"  And that's when all the trouble started.

Mike

Las Vegas

Sounds like obstruction to me.

Slide or avoid contact...

To which the runner did neither.  However F1 without the ball Yup obstruction, But damn kid dont run into the player, just slide.... sigh

On 7/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

Mike

Las Vegas

On 7/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, catsbackr said:

Sounds like obstruction to me.

Gotta admit had a play at 1st the other night in a Majors LL AS game (12U) 2 man system 2 outs no one on, I was BU in A

Ground ball to 1st he kicks it and it squirts 3 feet towards 2nd, F3 quickly takes a step grabs it and makes a dash for 1B  I get into position to see everything happen and Im watching to see who's foot hits bag 1st.

F3 beats BR by a full step but then what happens they cross paths and BOOM train wreck.  They both go to the ground, the ball never came out of his glove.  OUT!  3rd out  F3 picks himself up and trots for the 3B dugout, not even a whimper.

UGH  BR starts to ball as he rolls around on the ground holding his shoulder.

I mean come on kid YOU ran into him, YOU are wearing the helmet not him.  He was the one YOU CLOCKED.

took him 2 minutes or so but he was back out on the field by the time it was thrown down to 2nd

On 7/9/2021 at 3:34 AM, agdz59 said:

I think that play damaged Rose's reputation so much it helped keep him out of the Hall.

Yes, the gambling instigated it, but Fosse minimized any goodwill that might have helped overcome people's reluctance to deny such an obvious talent their place in the Hall. 

Umm...no.

He was a first ballot lock before he retired, before breaking Cobb's record...even before getting 4000 hits.  Fosse wasn't going to change that at all.  In 1991, when his vote would have occurred, every MLB player with 2800 or more hits was in the Hall.   He was the hit leader.   He played in more won games than any other MLBer.  Five years before he retired, ten years after Fosse, he was called "Future Hall of Famer"...the enshrinement party was set and invitations were in the mail, so to speak.  It was inevitable.  Maybe not unanimous...but Hell, Ted Williams and Willie Mays weren't unanimous.   But it was inevitable.   Until the gambling. 

The Hall changed the voting rules to make Rose ineligible to take the vote out of the hands of the Writers Association, because they feared Rose was going to get in that next winter.    So, though it would have ultimately been better to keep him eligible and see him get less than 5% of the votes to stay on the ballot, the Hall committee couldn't trust that to happen, so they changed the rules.  The couldn't risk someone who gambled on baseball...who also just served time for tax evasion...to be enshrined.   So they took it out of the voters' hands.

The interesting part of that assessment was the writers never needed such a rule to keep out Shoeless Joe...He got 2 votes the first year of HOF voting and fell off the ballot - the writers kept him out of the Hall without needing a rule declaring him ineligible.   And he was otherwise admired and liked, and never convicted of anything.  There's a good chance Rose wouldn't have got in anyway.  But it had nothing to do with Fosse.