Low Profile CP for short umpires?

BlueMagic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1006 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I’m 5’6 and about 160 and looking for the lowest profile chest protector I can find. I currently wear a Champion P2, which I love, except for the shoulder pads. I truly look like a linebacker. I’ve tried several different protectors and just can’t seem to find the right fit.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated!

I am generally the same size as you are, 5-8, 175.  For what you describe, I like the Douglas/Smitty CP with an upgraded harness (S7, UL or F3) and the T hooks.  I am waiting to order an All-Star Cobalt when they come back in stock.  There is always going to be some bulk there as it needs to protect the collarbone.  

2 hours ago, BlueMagic said:

I’m 5’6 and about 160 and looking for the lowest profile chest protector I can find. I currently wear a Champion P2, which I love, except for the shoulder pads. I truly look like a linebacker. I’ve tried several different protectors and just can’t seem to find the right fit.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated!

My question would be what level of ball do you work and what level of protection are you comfortable with?

I’m slightly taller and much heavier, so I prefer low profile CPs as well.

I take flak for this, but I have loved my DaviShield for far too many years.  I have worn it for Varsity baseball and low-level college softball.  I’ve never had an issue with getting hit and it not doing the job.  I particularly like the fit and protection around my collarbone.  I love the flexibility of it, but my biggest gripe is the way it traps heat in.  For a system based on multiple smaller plates, it should have a better heat transfer system.

I have purchased a Schutt HDX in an effort to better handle the heat.  It is NOT low profile.  The first time I put it on, one of my housemates asked me if I was going to go play football.  I do not like the look and I need to dial the fit in (which I am not sure if it is going to be possible for my build).  I’ve only used it a few times and haven’t take a hit, but I’m confident in it’s protection.

At the same time, because I got a bargain and knew I could pass it on if I didn’t like it, I tried the Adams Low Profile as well. I hoped it would be a happy mix of the two worlds.  Again, I haven’t used it much, but I wasn’t happy with the harness fit.  There just wasn’t enough snugging it up to my body, so it didn’t feel right to me.

44 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

My question would be what level of ball do you work and what level of protection are you comfortable with?

I take flak for this, but I have loved my DaviShield for far too many years.  I have worn it for Varsity baseball and low-level college softball.  I’ve never had an issue with getting hit and it not doing the job.  I particularly like the fit and protection around my collarbone.  I love the flexibility of it, but my biggest gripe is the way it traps heat in.  For a system based on multiple smaller plates, it should have a better heat transfer system.

I have purchased a Schutt HDX in an effort to better handle the heat.  It is NOT low profile.  The first time I put it on, one of my housemates asked me if I was going to go play football.  I do not like the look and I need to dial the fit in (which I am not sure if it is going to be possible for my build).  I’ve only used it a few times and haven’t take a hit, but I’m confident in it’s protection.

At the same time, because I got a bargain and knew I could pass it on if I didn’t like it, I tried the Adams Low Profile as well. I hoped it would be a happy mix of the two worlds.  Again, I haven’t used it much, but I wasn’t happy with the harness fit.  There just wasn’t enough snugging it up to my body, so it didn’t feel right to me.

I umpire at the HS and college level. I’ve tried the Douglas, the Wilson Gold, and the All Star Cobalt, but none gave me the fit/look I’m after. Perhaps I didn’t give them enough time, but I am really anxious to find a solution.

46 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I believe the HDX has a lot of velcro connections that make it very customizable. I watched a video at ump-attire on adjusting it. You may want to check that out. When I got mine adjusted, it covered the collarbone just fine.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

I believe the HDX has a lot of velcro connections that make it very customizable. I watched a video at ump-attire on adjusting it. You may want to check that out. When I got mine adjusted, it covered the collarbone just fine.

Ok thanks, agddz59.

F3 V3

I've tried almost all of the big name CPs' except a Carlucci and the original Douglas WV - and, for me, the F3 V3 is the lowest profile and best form-fitting CP I've ever put on.   Next to it, the Douglas can be pretty low profile if you take the time to form it.  But then, many of these CP's will conform to you much better if you spend some time with them and a heat gun.   Mold it, heat it, re-mold it and then flash freeze it for memory.  Be careful not to overheat it or you'll melt the plastic completely.

I'm quite a bit heavier, but found the Schutt to be quite conforming after spending some time with it.  Next to my F3 V3, I also am a big fan of the Wilson Gold (minus the wings).  It sits pretty low profile considering the thickness of the pads after removing the wings and getting the shoulders bent to fit me.

Champion, AA, V-Sport and others normally fit pretty well too, so I'm a little surprise you don't find the fit good for your size.  If it's just the shoulders that are too big, maybe buy a Schutt/Adams and use their shoulder pads instead.  I think they're more rounded and less "large" looking.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agdz59 said:

I know that I found several of those velcro spots trying to put my shirt on and take it off.  I kept "ripping" pieces off!  🤪

I did take the bicep extensions off, those things went down to my elbows!

5975669994ed388575bf26a4e855997c.gif

22 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

F3 V3

I've tried almost all of the big name CPs' except a Carlucci and the original Douglas WV - and, for me, the F3 V3 is the lowest profile and best form-fitting CP I've ever put on.   Next to it, the Douglas can be pretty low profile if you take the time to form it.  But then, many of these CP's will conform to you much better if you spend some time with them and a heat gun.   Mold it, heat it, re-mold it and then flash freeze it for memory.  Be careful not to overheat it or you'll melt the plastic completely.

I'm quite a bit heavier, but found the Schutt to be quite conforming after spending some time with it.  Next to my F3 V3, I also am a big fan of the Wilson Gold (minus the wings).  It sits pretty low profile considering the thickness of the pads after removing the wings and getting the shoulders bent to fit me.

Champion, AA, V-Sport and others normally fit pretty well too, so I'm a little surprise you don't find the fit good for your size.  If it's just the shoulders that are too big, maybe buy a Schutt/Adams and use their shoulder pads instead.  I think they're more rounded and less "large" looking.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

9 hours ago, BlueMagic said:

I umpire at the HS and college level. I’ve tried the Douglas, the Wilson Gold, and the All Star Cobalt, but none gave me the fit/look I’m after. Perhaps I didn’t give them enough time, but I am really anxious to find a solution.

The Force 3 is extremely low profile

If the pitching is 90+ i would go with the Douglas... It just takes time to get it molded. Try using a hair dryer with it on as tight as you can wear it. Once you get it molded it should fit pretty good. Also if you don't have the T-hooks mod done on it get that done, that will help conform it to your body it to your body better.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, BlueMagic said:

I currently wear a Champion P2, which I love, except for the shoulder pads. I truly look like a linebacker. I’ve tried several different protectors and just can’t seem to find the right fit.

We need to see a photo or two of you wearing your current CP. Something doesn’t read right. 

The very reason the Champion P2xx got to be so popular amongst MiLB umpires was because it was so low profile, it made the wearer look slim, trim & athletic. And, at 1/3rd the cost of a Wilson Gold, it has an exceptional cost-to-protection value. 

If I can see how you’re wearing it, I can devise a course of adjusting it; or, suggest a better alternative… 

… that isn’t sofa cushion-based.

But I devise all my plans from the sofa-cushions.  Except for the really good plans ... you don't want to know where I am sitting when I come up with those.  😁

@MadMax, I know I have seen a few lengthy posts about fitting the Schutt.  Do you have a "101" or sticky anywhere that you recommend rather than wading through all those?