Jump turn with back foot going behind rubber

Guest Guest

Question

Guest Guest

RHP with a runner on 1st. Pitcher does a jump turn with his back foot coming down behind the rubber, and his front foot gaining ground towards 1b. He does not throw the ball. I did not call a balk because he stepped off the back of the rubber, but feel like I should have as my baseball instincts tell me this isnt legal. Is this sort of move considered "stepping off?"

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

A legal disengagement is when the pitcher clearly steps back off the rubber. For this to be legal the pivot foot must be placed on the ground behind the rubber before the free foot is moved or the hands are separated. And the first movement must be the pivot foot in a rearward direction (not upward as in the jump step).

Your pitcher’s action does not meet these requirements. A jump turn pickoff is considered to be in contact with the rubber. So when he did his jump step and did not throw to first he balked.

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

A legal disengagement is when the pitcher clearly steps back off the rubber. For this to be legal the pivot foot must be placed on the ground behind the rubber before the free foot is moved or the hands are separated. And the first movement must be the pivot foot in a rearward direction (not upward as in the jump step).

Your pitcher’s action does not meet these requirements. A jump turn pickoff is considered to be in contact with the rubber. So when he did his jump step and did not throw to first he balked.

Not in regard to the OP but some latitude is given to the bolded when this happens quickly.

8 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

And the first movement must be the pivot foot in a rearward direction (not upward as in the jump step).

Can anyone explain how the first move of F1's pivot fort, while engaged with the rubber in the set position, can be backward and not upward?

43 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Can anyone explain how the first move of F1's pivot fort, while engaged with the rubber in the set position, can be backward and not upward?

It's not a "physics" description; it's an observation description.

Mr. Kevin_K, it was only two months ago that I gave a full citation for that nugget of baseball brilliance. Here it is again just for your edification--from the 2019-2020 College Baseball Rules Study Guide (p. 140) written by George Demetriou:

Once the pitcher has assumed either position, he may switch to the other only by first properly disengaging the rubber (stepping off). To be legal, the first movement must be the pivot foot in a rearward direction (9-1a5).

I would say that if you still object to its language you should take it up immediately with Mr. Demetriou.

6 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

The foot's movement vector has to be directly away from HP. Up and down are ignored for this rule.

Too often this jump turn no throw is not balked. I’ve called it numerous times and every time I get the same thing….. A pitcher pointing to his right foot behind the rubber saying “ I stepped off!” 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.