Olympics

According to the website olympicbaseball.wbsc.org/ these are the umpires (don’t know how they were selected)--

Umpires - Baseball
Director - Gustavo Rodriguez (USA)
Jorge Niebla Rodriguez (CUB)
Kevin Sweeney (USA)
Trevor Grieve (CAN)
Chi Hua-Wen (TPE)
Jairo Mendoza (NCA)
Fernandez Duarte Gaspar (MEX)
Fabrizio Fabrizi  (ITA)
Edwin Hernandez (PUR)
Trent Thomas (AUS)
Mark Winters (USA)
Kang Kwang Hoe (KOR)

The World Baseball Softball Confederation appoints them. The WBSC was created by the merger of the International Baseball Federation (IBF) and International Softball Federation (ISF) in 2013 and headquartered in Switzerland. WBSC has 3 levels of umpires: A, B, C. 'A' umpires can work the baseball world cup, the Olympic umpires were chosen from this pool of umpires based on their evaluations over the past 3 years.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Rodiguez is on the staff at the WBSC.    The two other Americans, Mark Winters has done a lot of college stuff including the college world series and some of the professional international leagues.    Kevin Sweeney also has a lot of NCAA experience, but works in the hotel industry.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just based on the heading "olympics" and not towards the OP question but continuing chat on the title

Why the hell are the girls softball games on a baseball diamond.. I mean it looks like crap I cannot imagine its playing any better..

EEsh poor planning by the host nation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Just based on the heading "olympics" and not towards the OP question but continuing chat on the title

Why the hell are the girls softball games on a baseball diamond.. I mean it looks like crap I cannot imagine its playing any better..

It was removed after the 2008 Olympics.  Added back in 2016 for the 2020 games. Should have had plenty of time, especially with Japan being a SB power.  

5 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Nope. Don’t go blaming Japan on this one. 

Japan may have had complete softball facilities built, or at least underway, when COVID shut everything down. Japan has extreme land/space management, and doesn’t have the luxury of creating large-scale, purpose-built, role-specific buildings… only for them to sit idle and unused (unusable/off-limits). 

Compounding this, the IOC has draconian design and building codes for its venues, the least of which govern such things as security, stand-off distance, climate control, accessibility, and peak capacity dynamics. Then throw in LEED and sustainability of materials protocols, and labor tracking, and these projects take on enormous complexities that hinder nations / cities in the best of times and circumstances. 

What likely happened here is that this baseball field that they are using qualifies, as a venue, to all the IOC specifications including the additional COVID distancing … crap … that the IOC or national government has saddled upon the JOC, with the minimal amount of financial impact compared to completing the planned / underway softball-specific facility. 

Blame COVID.

From what I came to understand it was a financial decision, mainly for future potential Olympics. SB and baseball were added as a favor to the host nation and are not planned going forward. Stadium they played in was modifiable enough to make it work. SB was fully aware of the situation, and didn’t care.  

Overall goal going forward, if BB/SB return, would be for one stadium built, but with some type of hybrid (best way I can think of stating it) field design. 

Japan has a women’s professional softball league that started play in June so venue availability seems a red herring. https://www.wbsc.org/news/japan-softball-league-2021-season-kicks-off-olympic-ace-yukiko-ueno-injured-in-opening-weekend

As @eagle_12 says, this is self admitted financial by Japan Olympic committee https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/why-is-softball-played-on-baseball-fields-at-2021-olympics-48435466 

Arguably there is a COVID component as @MadMax said.

IMO this is sexist IOC BS and the finance aspect is further IOC hypocritical corrupt BS as well. Take your pick of what % of which is which. 

15 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

From what I came to understand it was a financial decision, mainly for future potential Olympics. SB and baseball were added as a favor to the host nation and are not planned going forward. Stadium they played in was modifiable enough to make it work. SB was fully aware of the situation, and didn’t care.  

Overall goal going forward, if BB/SB return, would be for one stadium built, but with some type of hybrid (best way I can think of stating it) field design. 

The biggest reason softball/baseball were pulled is they're only played in a relatively small number of nations, especially softball (over 5 Olympics only 14 countries have participated, total...and only eight countries have been to more than one Olympics)...Olympic hosts have provided feedback in the waste creating both a softball and baseball facility that end up with at least one, if not both, NEVER being used ever again after the Olympics.  eg. Athens, Barcelona...it would have been true for London, Rio, and for Paris.

So, that's why it was brought back for Japan...and why it MIGHT be brought back for LA and Brisbane....they will either already have appropriate facilities...or can justify the long-term use of a new facility.

Japan's decision was indeed a financial one, meant to show the feasibility of requiring only one facility in future Olympics  - in the hopes it may have SOME kind of future use - ultimately the softball players said it played perfectly fine...up until NCAA, most softball players are used to playing on baseball fields, at least part of the time.   

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:13 PM, Velho said:

IMO this is sexist IOC BS and the finance aspect is further IOC hypocritical corrupt BS as well.

If we really want to advance the cause of womens’ rights and equality – globally – then there is nothing... nothing ... that will elicit a change more (and faster) than to mandate that any nation that wishes to enter into an international sports event (Olympics, World Cup, etc) must demonstrate they subsidize not only a mens team, but also a womens team. 

70k plus room/board and expenses per year in Japanese pro women's league with extra incentives for performance. 5000k to 6000k per year for US Pro women's league except Abbott who signed 1 million 5 or 6 year deal a while ago.

It's absurd that softball shares its venue with baseball. This is not an ice hockey/figure skating situation. Softball is meant to be played on a dirt infield. Baseball is meant to be played on a grass infield. I'm sure it saves a great deal of money, energy and other valuable resources to have them use the same venue. If they are looking for ideas...why not do what the AZ Cardinals did and have a grass field on rails that can be moved outside the stadium complex? You could do that with baseball/softball and have the softball surface underneath. 

Bottom line, if you're going to bid for the Games, softball and baseball should have their own facilities and fields.

~Dawg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 1:06 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Bottom line, if you're going to bid for the Games, softball and baseball should have their own facilities and fields.

And this will guarantee that baseball and softball won't be Olympic sports ever again.

Because the alternative is hosting would be limited to a dozen or so countries that play baseball and softball...or one city becomes the permanent host of the Olympics.

No city wants to build two facilities where they know at least one of them, if not both, will never be used again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

And this will guarantee that baseball and softball won't be Olympic sports ever again.

Because the alternative is hosting would be limited to a dozen or so countries that play baseball and softball...or one city becomes the permanent host of the Olympics.

No city wants to build two facilities where they know at least one of them, if not both, will never be used again.

Which brings me to...

Why "must" we build new Olympic facilities every 4 years? Build 2 or 3 Olympic sites and rotate. Use the off years to renovate and remodel.

~Dawg

7 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Why "must" we build new Olympic facilities every 4 years? Build 2 or 3 Olympic sites and rotate. Use the off years to renovate and remodel.

it will get there - I suspect one city for each...maybe even the same city for both - in either case you have four years to do maintenance (pending other events, like World Championships)...every Olympiad there are less and less cities applying to host...IOC has even encouraged cities/countries to share Olympics to make it more attractive/palatable - because more and more cities are realizing the return isn't what people think/hope it is.    Montreal took about 40 years to pay off its deficit from the '76 Olympics.   At best it is now a cash grab to try to get some infrastructure funding...or an attempt to gets some advertising to generate tourism...and it isn't working.

With the corruption in the Olympic committees and the amount of perks (i.e. bribes) they receive by cities wanting to host the games, this makes cities compete against each other throwing more perks to the committees. They will never choose one or two cities on a permanent basis because of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

With the corruption in the Olympic committees and the amount of perks (i.e. bribes) they receive by cities wanting to host the games, this makes cities compete against each other throwing more perks to the committees. They will never choose one or two cities on a permanent basis because of this. 

Which brings me to...

Why have the Olympics at all?

~Dawg

23 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

21 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Which brings me to...

Why have the Olympics at all?

Why do “we” have the Academy Awards (Oscars), SAGs, Emmys, MTV Movie Awards, BAFTAs, People’s Choice Awards, and any number of worthless, glitz-&-glam award shows? Annually?!

Everyone wants to be told they’re pretty, and the shows are ego-strokes for opulence.