Partner runs 12u coach for saying "YOU SUCK!!" Coach later apologizes

12u playoff game, I'm doing bases and my partner is on the plate. First couple innings I hear some stuff about what my partner is calling but nothing deserving of a warning. Then 1 out with runners on, he calls strike 3 for the 2nd out of the inning.

The pitch looked a little high, but I ultimately didn't have his angle. Neither did anyone on the HT but they all wanted to cut his head off anyway. There was a lot of yelling from the HT dugout that I couldn't make out but obviously they hated the call. Coach is arguing "HE FRAMED IT FROM UP HERE!!!" (pointing at his shoulders) my partner is yelling back "THAT WAS RIGHT HERE!!!" (Pointing at his chest) not taking SH*# from anyone. I liked that.

So the inning ends, and as I'm going to my partner for feedback on my performance so far (This was only my 8th career game on the bases) I hear the coach arguing the call again and finishing off by saying "YOU SUCK" 

My partner asks back "I suck? I suck?" Then tells the HT manager that his assistant is ejected for saying he sucked. 

The game ends with a furious comeback from the HT who went from being down 6-1 to winning 7-6 by scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the 5th, then turning a double play with 1 out in the top of the next inning when the batter hit a screaming line drive to the first baseman who caught it and promptly stepped on the bag to end the game. I guess the ejection must have fired up his team. For all I know he got ran on purpose to fire them up. I've heard stories like that on this forum.

As the HT was celebrating, the ejected HTAC returned to the field and shook hands with both of us and apologized for his behavior. Which is fine but he still should've left the area after being ejected. My partner was indifferent to me pointing this out to him so I let it go but obviously I don't want it to happen again.

I point out to people often that if there is a penalty for something, then it isn't "illegal" but part of the game.    If you can do the time, you can do the crime.   It's pretty clear that there are times the coaches feel they have to "make a statement" knowing they're going to get ejected in the process.

9 hours ago, MulletUmpTheSecond said:

12u playoff game, I'm doing bases and my partner is on the plate. First couple innings I hear some stuff about what my partner is calling but nothing deserving of a warning. Then 1 out with runners on, he calls strike 3 for the 2nd out of the inning.

The pitch looked a little high, but I ultimately didn't have his angle. Neither did anyone on the HT but they all wanted to cut his head off anyway. There was a lot of yelling from the HT dugout that I couldn't make out but obviously they hated the call. Coach is arguing "HE FRAMED IT FROM UP HERE!!!" (pointing at his shoulders) my partner is yelling back "THAT WAS RIGHT HERE!!!" (Pointing at his chest) not taking SH*# from anyone. I liked that.

So the inning ends, and as I'm going to my partner for feedback on my performance so far (This was only my 8th career game on the bases) I hear the coach arguing the call again and finishing off by saying "YOU SUCK" 

My partner asks back "I suck? I suck?" Then tells the HT manager that his assistant is ejected for saying he sucked. 

The game ends with a furious comeback from the HT who went from being down 6-1 to winning 7-6 by scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the 5th, then turning a double play with 1 out in the top of the next inning when the batter hit a screaming line drive to the first baseman who caught it and promptly stepped on the bag to end the game. I guess the ejection must have fired up his team. For all I know he got ran on purpose to fire them up. I've heard stories like that on this forum.

As the HT was celebrating, the ejected HTAC returned to the field and shook hands with both of us and apologized for his behavior. Which is fine but he still should've left the area after being ejected. My partner was indifferent to me pointing this out to him so I let it go but obviously I don't want it to happen again.

Your partner needs to learn how to STFU. By going tit-for-tat in the argument, he's legitimizing the complaint and delegitimizing his authority.

Also, don't go to your partner for an evaluation during the game, because they have their own things to do. Also, and specific to this situation, I wouldn't trust anything your partner said, because it's readily apparent that his advice is worth less than the time it would take to get it. 

Lastly, and supporting my previous assertion, your partner didn't give a SH*# about you being right about what he did. Thus, even with your relative inexperience, it would seem that you are ahead of him in skill.

• Like 1

+1, @Matt...we don't want to get into exchanges like that. We don't "illustrate" where the pitch was. We don't have to explain judgement.

There is not taking static from anyone on the field...and there is escalating a situation. Your partner escalated that, OP. All that was needed there was a stop sign and a calm, "Coach, that's enough. By rule you are not permitted to argue judgement calls. If you continue, you will be ejected." ...and then proceed with your discipline escalation should he continue.

The more they yell, the more we keep cool and speak with an even tone. It's like managing your best friend when they are drunk.

~Dawg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MulletUmpTheSecond said:

my partner is yelling back "THAT WAS RIGHT HERE!!!" (Pointing at his chest) not taking SH*# from anyone. I liked that.

This is not an appropriate reaction. The admonition Ignore-Acknowledge-Warn-Eject does not include "Respond."

14 hours ago, MulletUmpTheSecond said:

My partner asks back "I suck? I suck?" Then tells the HT manager that his assistant is ejected for saying he sucked

See my above comment and responding.

FWIW, I don't like wordy warnings. I'd shorten SeeingEyeDog's warning down to this: "Coach, that's enough. If you continue, you will be ejected" or even "Coach, that's enough." The consequences are implicit. But YMMV.

• Like 1

An automatic:  "Call them the same for both teams, Blue!"  - Bango!  He's questioning the integrity of the umpire crew.  Or any kind of foul language.

Stern warning:  "That's two you owe me, Blue!"  [Hey pal!  You won't be here to question #4!]

Those are two examples of things that require immediate correction.

Questions about a ruling or a play might escalate, so giving some quarter in order to explain the rule and the judgement used helps--if he'll let you talk.  If he doesn't, adios!  While you are not there to conduct a rules clinic, the manager (not the coach!) is entitled to understand the rule upon which the call was made.  [Try to explain RLI to a Little League manager!]  Do not entertain much from a coach.  He does NOT have standing with you.  I have ejected more assistant coaches than players or managers.

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 1

By local custom and usage, we don't have managers, just head coaches and assistant coaches. With that semantic distinction, I agree with Mike that I'll only talk to the HC, and ACs, like children--an apt comparison!--are to be seen, not heard.