Runner interferes with thrown baseball

SeeingEyeDog

Men's league 50+, OBR...with R1 at first, batter hits a sharp ground ball up the middle. F6 ranges over, fields the ball, steps on 2B and throws to 1B. I grab the out at 2B. As I am turning, I see R1 is slow and has taken perhaps two or three steps towards 2B. R1 is on a line directly between 1B and 2B and thus directly in the path of the thrown baseball. The throw comes in low to R1's feet, gets by him without contacting him and is fielded cleanly by F3 who has secure possession of the baseball and contact with 1B prior to the batter/runner touching 1B. So, I grab that out, too.

What constitutes runner interfering with the throw? Does he have to attempt to unscreen F3 visually from the baseball? Is contact with the baseball required to meet or exceed the rule for interference? I have this cite:

5.90(b)(3) (A runner is out when...) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball

The second out was made here so, we take the result of the play. But, without F3 making that out...I have the runner interfering with F3 so, the batter/runner would indeed also be out but, I cannot find that cite. Thoughts, brothers?

~Dawg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (p. 108):

Flight of Thrown Ball and Tag Attempts

A runner has interfered with the flight of a thrown ball, a throw absent a batted ball, or a tag attempt only if such runner

(1) commits an intentional action that falls outside the scope of trying to get to a base safely and to stay on a base if it cannot be overrun, and

(2) such action hinders a fielder trying to throw or trying to tag.

NOTE:  Interference with the flight of a thrown ball does not require contact. Also, a runner is not exempt from interfering because he has become out or touched or passed home plate. Such runner can still interfere and cause the out of another runner. A runner is allowed to continue to advance after being put out (e.g., believes is not out) and such an advance is not to be considered intent to interfere.

On 6/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Men's league 50+, OBR...with R1 at first, batter hits a sharp ground ball up the middle. F6 ranges over, fields the ball, steps on 2B and throws to 1B. I grab the out at 2B. As I am turning, I see R1 is slow and has taken perhaps two or three steps towards 2B. R1 is on a line directly between 1B and 2B and thus directly in the path of the thrown baseball. The throw comes in low to R1's feet, gets by him without contacting him and is fielded cleanly by F3 who has secure possession of the baseball and contact with 1B prior to the batter/runner touching 1B. So, I grab that out, too.

What constitutes runner interfering with the throw? Does he have to attempt to unscreen F3 visually from the baseball? Is contact with the baseball required to meet or exceed the rule for interference? I have this cite:

5.90(b)(3) (A runner is out when...) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball

The second out was made here so, we take the result of the play. But, without F3 making that out...I have the runner interfering with F3 so, the batter/runner would indeed also be out but, I cannot find that cite. Thoughts, brothers?

~Dawg

Read more:

Rule 6.01(a )(5) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues
to advance or returns or attempts to return to his last legally
touched base after he has been put out, he shall not by that act
alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the
fielders.

I know this isn’t quite what the OP was asking, but this is a debate on another forum that I frequent ...

Interference is an immediate dead ball.  If you have interference it should be called IMMEDIATELY, not waiting to see what happens on the back end.

On that forum there are a couple of different scenarios posted where the umpire did NOT make the interference call, the defense successfully made the play, and afterwards the umpires said it was interference.  In one case it changed who the lead off batter was the next inning, in the other case the umpires erased a double play erroneously.

Barring an immediate call, I can only surmise there was no interference as was evidenced by the successful play.  If I did not make an immediate call, I am not going back (barring a conference with my partner — but still one of us should have called it).