Malicious Contact or Just an Out?

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 999 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

MC. Runner definitely extends his arms out when initiating contact.

In addition, like noumpere suggested perhaps there was some earlier chirping taking place in the game that makes this decision easier for the calling umpire.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll start with - in real time, first instinct was to say MC...breaking it down, it's not as cut and dry as it first looks.

I don't think he put up his arms to push through F2, but to brace himself.

At the last second...about two steps before the runner arrives, F2 takes a short hop to his left to catch the ball...right into the path of the runner...until then, runner had a path to the plate...now, suddenly, there's a human being in front of him (at that point, whether that human holds a baseball is irrelevant to what is or is not imminent)...he now has about a tenth of a second to realize what's happening and make a decision -  slide/give up...try to continue to veer outside his original path...try to take a turn inside...or brace himself for impact...and I think he tried to do a little of both the third and fourth options.

it's borderline...if he had one more step, I'd say he had plenty of time...one less step, no time at all...he's right on that cusp and straddling the line between "I can get out of the way" and "wtf else am I supposed to do"?  His first reaction sitting on the ground seems to say the second...and I think it's a genuine reaction, not staged.

I think his demeanor after the collision is telling too...if there had been earlier chirping or animosity I don't think he'd try to apologize to the catcher.

Maybe MC is the right call in the end...but I don't think there's any malice here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

I'll start with - in real time, first instinct was to say MC...breaking it down, it's not as cut and dry as it first looks.

I don't think he put up his arms to push through F2, but to brace himself.

At the last second...about two steps before the runner arrives, F2 takes a short hop to his left to catch the ball...right into the path of the runner...until then, runner had a path to the plate...now, suddenly, there's a human being in front of him (at that point, whether that human holds a baseball is irrelevant to what is or is not imminent)...he now has about a tenth of a second to realize what's happening and make a decision -  slide/give up...try to continue to veer outside his original path...try to take a turn inside...or brace himself for impact...and I think he tried to do a little of both the third and fourth options.

it's borderline...if he had one more step, I'd say he had plenty of time...one less step, no time at all...he's right on that cusp and straddling the line between "I can get out of the way" and "wtf else am I supposed to do"?  His first reaction sitting on the ground seems to say the second...and I think it's a genuine reaction, not staged.

I think his demeanor after the collision is telling too...if there had been earlier chirping or animosity I don't think he'd try to apologize to the catcher.

Maybe MC is the right call in the end...but I don't think there's any malice here.

When you brace yourself….let’s say you are chasing after a thrown frisbee or football, at last second you realize you’re gonna run into a wall…do you hit the wall and extend your arms?  No.  You brace, curl up, cringe, flinch, tuck your neck (head to shoulder).  You do not extend.

You extend when you hit. Watch any football player blow up a receiver, their arms explode through the contact bc they are delivering the force.

Laws of physics are on our side here

• Like 2

The umpire is in good position to see F2 set up well up the line and more or less right on the line. The runner takes a common route in foul to the back of the plate.

The throw takes F2 into the path of the runner. At that point, for FED, I'd be considering OBS (legal in OBR): he's in the runner's path, blocking access, without the ball. The runner is too close for F2 to move into his path without obstructing him.

However, the runner deviates INTO F2, moving a step toward fair rather than going farther into foul, and does nothing to avoid. He has time to do something that looks like avoidance, and fails to do it. At that point, OBS is off the table and it's MC.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, SH0102 said:

When you brace yourself….let’s say you are chasing after a thrown frisbee or football, at last second you realize you’re gonna run into a wall…do you hit the wall and extend your arms?  No.  You brace, curl up, cringe, flinch, tuck your neck (head to shoulder).  You do not extend.

You extend when you hit. Watch any football player blow up a receiver, their arms explode through the contact bc they are delivering the force.

Laws of physics are on our side here

You haven't watched enough people run into a wall. One usually extends the arms to act as a shock absorber.