Quick Pitch

Sut'n Blue

Question

When the pitcher quick pitches I suppose I should let him do so and then assess the penalty but I come up and try to stop him from pitching in hope of preventing the batter from getting nailed when he isn't looking. The problem is if I kill it the offense won't get the benefit of the penalty bcause I killed it. Example from last night: R2, F1 quick pitches while the batter is looking down and adjusting his grip, I come up and try to stop F1 from pitching but he pitches and hits totally oblivious batter (who ended up going to ER as they thought his wrist was broken). Since I came up and tried to stop the pitch I killed play and didn't assess the balk - which really isn't fair. Should I have assessed the balk anyway? How do you handle these situations?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

It's situational and umpire judgement...

Generally speaking, my guiding principle is this...I would rather have to have a "discussion" with a manager about "taking away an opportunity" then I would having to look at the faces of parents or guardians as they watch their child get loaded into an ambulance because I let a quick pitch go and they sustained a serious injury. And I have told managers this who have complained. It's "fun" to see the light of realization go on for them.

Understand...when I kill those plays, I am also calling the manager over and talking to them and their batter and saying, "Do not step into the batter's box unless you are ready to hit. If you need a moment to get ready, just put your hand up and I'll know you're not ready."

~Dawg

11 hours ago, Sut'n Blue said:

R2, F1 quick pitches while the batter is looking down and adjusting his grip,

How does a F1 “quick pitch” when there is R2? Does he not have to use the Stretch position, and Come Set? If he rolls right through his stop, that’d be a no-stop Balk. 

50 minutes ago, MadMax said:

How does a F1 “quick pitch” when there is R2? Does he not have to use the Stretch position, and Come Set? If he rolls right through his stop, that’d be a no-stop Balk. 

He could use some sort of abbreviated wind-up position -- at least the first time, this would likely also catch the runner off guard and he wouldn't advance.  And, I suppose this could be LL (or similar) where the runner can't leave until the ball reaches the plate (I don't work LL, so forgive me if that isn't exactly correct, or there's something else in the OP that indicates this can't be LL)

When I get a pitcher that has a tendency to go faster than the batters are ready, I make a habit of putting up my "stop sign" until the batter is ready. Not to say a pitcher can't take you off-guard, but it's usually not a one-off. In any case, I come up big and loud with a "time!" or "no pitch!" if the batter isn't ready as soon as he starts his motion - that helps the batter to know something is up.

Last time I called a quick-pitch, I asked about it here and got a pretty good discussion, from which I learned much.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Understand...when I kill those plays, I am also calling the manager over and talking to them and their batter and saying, "Do not step into the batter's box unless you are ready to hit. If you need a moment to get ready, just put your hand up and I'll know you're not ready."

~Dawg

Rule 6.02(a)(5) Comment: A quick pitch is an illegal pitch.
Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the
batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:34 AM, Sut'n Blue said:

How do you handle these situations?

At younger ages and with unsophisticated rec league players, where signs are often not given, handling this requires a lot of preventive officiating and some teaching.

"Time." Umpire goes to mound: "Son, I don't want you starting your motion until the batter is set. This is for safety. Got it?" "Yes, sir." 

Considering the quality of some of my partners, if the PU does not address this, I, as BU, will do so to protect both the batter and my partner, who may not be set properly when the pitcher delivers.

The other night, 14u game, foul ball that F2 went for, I tossed a new ball to F1 and as F2 and I were putting on our masks, I glance up and see F1 just about to release the pitch. I yelled TIME! so loud and moved F2 and I out of the way. Luckily, my yelling caused F1 to spike the ball. 

I explained to F1 that a foul is a dead ball and he can't pitch until I decide everyone is ready and put the ball back into play. Which he did for the next 2 foul balls and then was back at it. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.