Pickle , baserunner tuck and spin can be safe?

Guest Mobileumpire942

Question

Guest Mobileumpire942

This was fed travel

1 man, ( not that it should excuse me)

R1 is picked off and in pickle, I take off mask and strait running to right side of hump, they are not expecting it well but it goes on. Last throw is closer to second base, F4 goes to tag runner tummy tucks and spins and slides into base.  I judge he’s safe.  

How many have you had runners safe like me or are the mostly out when something like this happens , again I had 1 man umpire angle .?

My rules I remember are 3 feet which is step and a reach, from a decade ago in cadet class.   Coach comes out heated I said it’s a step and a reach, he yells that’s softball, I said I don’t know nothing about softball, he yells you know nothing about baseball , I point and said loud that’s it, he says maybe if I hustled , boom your gone.  

( I was at the hump at 2nd throw)

thoughts rules? Sorry it’s late I’m mobile, alone, and pissed as  other then that it was a beut

8 answers to this question

You have the rule correct-ish, but your operationalization of it and game management need rethinking.

A runner is out when he runs more than 3 feet from (around) a fielder trying to tag him. To be called out, we need a runner and a fielder with the ball making a tag attempt. Otherwise, runners may go where they will.

Ducking, rolling, jumping (as long as it's not over the fielder) do not violate this provision. If that's what you saw, and the runner did not go more than 3 feet wide of the fielder, then I'd say you ruled correctly.

"A step and a reach" is, however, considerably more than 3 feet for all but the very smallest players. Most men's arms are about 3 feet: if they have to move at all to reach a runner avoiding a tag, then we should call the out. I love this provision, and never miss an opportunity to call runners out for violating it. We can avoid many a clown rodeo by availing ourselves of it.

The phrase "a step and a reach" shows up in umpire manuals not for this rule, but for judging whether a fielder who boots a batted ball is still protected. Only if the booted ball remains within a step and a reach does the protection remain; otherwise, he's liable for OBS as usual.

You didn't ask about your game management approach, but I recommend that you reconsider yours. When coach comes out "heated," he's got something to get off his chest. Don't interrupt with information you think he needs: that comes off as confrontational.

Let him have his say. Listen carefully. But I don't allow coaches to yell at me: "Coach, I'm right here listening, please stop yelling."

When he got personal, you said "that's it!" What does that mean? I suggest communicating more directly: if you're warning/restricting him, then say so directly. "Coach, we're done here, and this is your warning. You're restricted to the dugout." [This was a FED game.] Merely saying "that's it!" could mean anything.

Given what he said, the EJ is a no-brainer—no problem there. My point is that better game management might have defused the situation. And even if it didn't, it would look better (including on the fans' videos of the game).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maven said:

You have the rule correct-ish, but your operationalization of it and game management need rethinking.

A runner is out when he runs more than 3 feet from (around) a fielder trying to tag him. To be called out, we need a runner and a fielder with the ball making a tag attempt. Otherwise, runners may go where they will.

Ducking, rolling, jumping (as long as it's not over the fielder) do not violate this provision. If that's what you saw, and the runner did not go more than 3 feet wide of the fielder, then I'd say you ruled correctly.

"A step and a reach" is, however, considerably more than 3 feet for all but the very smallest players. Most men's arms are about 3 feet: if they have to move at all to reach a runner avoiding a tag, then we should call the out. I love this provision, and never miss an opportunity to call runners out for violating it. We can avoid many a clown rodeo by availing ourselves of it.

I didnt say stay and a reach, i say 3 feet, step, or reach.

2 hours ago, maven said:

The phrase "a step and a reach" shows up in umpire manuals not for this rule, but for judging whether a fielder who boots a batted ball is still protected. Only if the booted ball remains within a step and a reach does the protection remain; otherwise, he's liable for OBS as usual.

You didn't ask about your game management approach, but I recommend that you reconsider yours. When coach comes out "heated," he's got something to get off his chest. Don't interrupt with information you think he needs: that comes off as confrontational.

Let him have his say. Listen carefully. But I don't allow coaches to yell at me: "Coach, I'm right here listening, please stop yelling."

When he got personal, you said "that's it!" What does that mean? I suggest communicating more directly: if you're warning/restricting him, then say so directly. "Coach, we're done here, and this is your warning. You're restricted to the dugout." [This was a FED game.] Merely saying "that's it!" could mean anything.

Given what he said, the EJ is a no-brainer—no problem there. My point is that better game management might have defused the situation. And even if it didn't, it would look better (including on the fans' videos of the game).

I did want to bring up thoughts on game management but i was mobile and didnt want to ask to many question in thread, thanks for this input as well.

This was not a restriction situation, as it would have put him actually closer to me ,  normally i would restrict coaches that are 1b or 3b coaches.  But normally use this is regulation, county, state HS games.    This was 17u travel, under FED.

see these where tag was avoided,  If i see a tag with the runner not doing anything, i could assume hes out of the baseline.  Again, im solo here with no angle, take everything here with grain of salt

1 hour ago, Umpire942 said:

I didnt say stay and a reach, i say 3 feet, step, or reach.

All we can go by is your words.  Here's the OP:

12 hours ago, Guest Mobileumpire942 said:

My rules I remember are 3 feet which is step and a reach

2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

And the answer didn't give any indication that it only applied to FED.

You cannot possibly be this ignorant as to how discourse works.

Hell, I'm autistic and still grasp it. Think about sitting TF down every now and then.

• Like 2

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.