Verbalizing outs at first

How often do you verbalize an out at first? Obviously if it's a whacker that's a given, but on an easy toss to first that clearly beats the runner, do you say anything? I used to stay silent and just give a fist but more recently I've just been saying a crisp and loud "out!". Just looking for opinions. 

1 hour ago, Scissors said:

How often do you verbalize an out at first? Obviously if it's a whacker that's a given, but on an easy toss to first that clearly beats the runner, do you say anything? I used to stay silent and just give a fist but more recently I've just been saying a crisp and loud "out!". Just looking for opinions. 

I was taught to verbalize all calls at 1B, but with an intensity proportional to how close the play was. On plays that aren't close, F3 probably can't hear me.

And the call is "He's out!" not merely "out." Two words helps distinguish the call from the one-word call of "safe." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maven said:

I was taught to verbalize all calls at 1B, but with an intensity proportional to how close the play was. On plays that aren't close, F3 probably can't hear me.

And the call is "He's out!" not merely "out." Two words helps distinguish the call from the one-word call of "safe." 

Except my son was BU for a 12u game and said “he’s out”, not realizing the batter was a girl….so there’s that…

But I agree in principle

• Haha 1

I've wondered on this before and have never been given a good reason why we verbalize all out calls at first, but I have been told that we do verbalize all out calls at first. I've gotten to the point that I just shrug my shoulders and do it because that's what's expected, and it doesn't hurt my ability to umpire well.

2 hours ago, SH0102 said:

Except my son was BU for a 12u game and said “he’s out”, not realizing the batter was a girl….so there’s that…

But I agree in principle

Did your son ask the "girl" her pronouns? Maybe "he's out" was correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, Scissors said:

How often do you verbalize an out at first?

Only when there are multiple runners (besides the B/R), and less than 2 outs. Why? Because that call changes the status of the B/R, and is information that the other participants – runners & their base coaches, fielders, and partner umpires – likely need to hear because they are visually focusing on something else. 

2-man Examples: 

• No one on, BU in A. Ground ball to F3. Collects it, jogs over to the bag, touches it before BR arrives. BU mechanics "Out" silently. 
  • R1, BU in B. Ground ball to F3. Smothers it, touches 1B. BU vocally calls "Out", mechanics "Out" (if he has time to), and pivots with F3's throw to 2B. Because there was a vocalized "Out", F3 knows that he got BR Out at 1B, and F4 & F6 now know (better) that they have to tag R1; R1 now knows that the FPSR is now off at 2B. 
  • R2, BU in C. Ground ball to F4, who checks R2, then throws to 1B. BU moves through working area, across centerline, to approximately B, and calls (& mechanics) "Out", then prepares to recover to 3B if F3 releases a throw to 3B/F5. The vocalization of "Out" assures F3 that he has the out, since he's shifting his focus to 3B and R2. 

3-man Example: 

• R2, less than two outs, U1 in B-deep, U3 in D. Ground ball to F6. Looks back R2, throws across to F3. U1 gets a better angle, and calls the "Out" at 1B. R2 makes a dash for 3B, and draws a throw across to F5. U3 works the bag, and judges the play accordingly. 

A simple call of "Out" is useful; what's not necessary is "Out At First!!!" that I've heard from (local) colleagues (in youth baseball) on several occasions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

A simple call of "Out" is useful; what's not necessary is "Out At First!!!" that I've heard from (local) colleagues (in youth baseball) on several occasions. 

Why if you are the only BU or the only PU, would the base local of the out not be useful?

I find in LL that it IS very useful a lot of times these 8-10u runners do not know if they are out or not and some will wander back from 2nd towards the dugout thinking its 3 outs or they were thrown out. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Catch18 said:

“They” is plural, where’s the 2nd out?emoji91.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone stole my wallet...I think they picked it out of my coat pocket.

"They" has always been an acceptable, and grammatically correct, replacement for the singular "he or she"...where gender is either unknown, or irrelevant.   It's only been in use in that context for a few hundred years, so I'm sure some people missed the memo.