Any Runners or Cyclists Out There?

Looking for runners or cyclists to weigh in.

Maybe age is catching up to me (I'm 56) but when I work the plate, even if it's just one game, I find my runs are a little more  difficult the next day - especially when the road starts going up. It  doesn't seem to effect my bike rides though. Anyone have similar issues? If so, I'd like to hear if you've found anything that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sut'n Blue said:

Maybe age is catching up to me (I'm 56) but when I work the plate, even if it's just one game, I find my runs are a little more  difficult the next day

I recommend fiber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'm an avid cyclist, not a runner, and also quite a bit older than you, Sut'n Blue. After a plate job, take a ride the next day and don't run, if that's become harder than you'd like. Think of it as a recovery work-out. Age catches up to us.

• Like 1

I have long since stopped recreational running due to knee issues.  I still cycle or row during the season as my schedule permits.  I think it aids in the recovery process. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boyinr said:

I think it aids in the recovery process. 

Rest and recovery is important.  I took the day off after my last game and felt so good that I'm now approaching 1,500 consecutive days of recovery.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

I run but not on game days.  Depending on how I feel the day after a game I may or may not run.  I don't have a "regime", just lace up the shoes and go pound the pavement, so I'm not worried about a schedule.  I just go with how I feel that day.  May be 2 miles, may be 7.  I'm slightly younger than you (50) so I'm getting slower as I go also :)

I actually just got back on the road after taking several weeks off from running after taking a line drive to my calf when on the bases.  That was my fault.  Three came my way from that batter.  I avoided the first two.  Third one got me.

"Rest and recovery" = If it's too difficult to run the day after a plate job, either go for a bike ride (you say this is ok) or take the day off. Rest days are as important as working out, so don't feel like you need to push hard every day.

Exactly.  I gauge any day I plan to run based on how I feel and how hard I may have gone the day before.  Sometimes I will take the day off, others I will make a slower/flatter/shorter route.  Biggest gauge for me is pain vs discomfort.  I'll workout when sore.  I won't workout when it hurts.

Running (for me) is as much about my mental health as about my physical health.  If the running is taking too big a toll on my physical, it's not helping the mental.

Running.. 

🤣😂🤣

That's what I do when the damn 13 yr old on the 50/70 field decides he's taking 2 on a dropped ball to short Center.  I'm playing greyhound to his rabbit when I am out on the bases ( the little bastard is quick too) 

Hell no am I running at any other point during the week it takes me a week to recover from that jerks stunt..

https://www.padousa.com/

Without any prompting, Ms. Dawg (no doubt hearing me bark at the moon after games) bought me one of these for our anniversary this year. I read the intent of the gift wrong upon opening it so...THAT was a good time. But, not THAT kind of a good time.

Anyway, I have a go bag that goes back and forth with me between the Dawg Van and the house and this is always in it. I use it between games of a double header and post-game when I get home...5-7 mins on each leg and I am good to go.

~Dawg