Have you started handling/holding balls yet

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1015 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

16 answers to this question

HS baseball has been normal ball handling since the season started. HS softball has been each team has 4 balls and they are the only ones that touch them. They will continue through state playoffs. These are NJSIAA standards.

Aside from the 3 adult-league games I called... solo... from behind the mound in April 2020, I have called every game since from behind the plate, and with all balls in my possession. 

COVID wasn’t and isn’t on the baseballs.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Every morning and several times a day.

1E33F359-A610-4484-80B0-3D95EC4E5E3D.jpeg.c50470ba0c526fd3f454b3213d2b5c10.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, ArchAngel72 said:

With things beginning to loosen up a lot more  Myself as well as the UiC have both gone back to holding balls during our games.

Have you done this also?

We never stopped here.

In Michigan, umpires had the option of handling balls or letting the home team be responsible for them this year.

In the first game I umpired this season, I opted to let the home team handle them. In all subsequent games, my partners always chose to handle game balls, so I eventually did the same for the rest of the season because I felt like I was the odd person out. In those games, I sanitized my hands between games, after games, and even between half-innings when I was able after putting a different ball into play.