So tell me about your ball bag

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 976 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:29 PM, The Man in Blue said:

This may be a controversial take ... but that's easy to say when you are the guy getting a free extra hour for your money instead of working a pointless extra hour for no money.

I agree with you that an umpire shouldn't lie about the time.  One second?  Sorry man, most of the time I'm telling you "game over."  In my experience, the games that run over rarely do so because they are a good game that went extra innings.  I won't say never.  However, in my experience, easily 90% of games that run over do so because they are a blowout with the "wrong home team" and that team didn't manage to push across the last run to kill it or prevent a meaningless run that extended it.

I would say that umpires should manage the clock better.  That plate is a little dirty and you should probably double check the count with your partner, just to make sure.  If you consider that screwing you out of time, sorry.  I have a very hard time with coaches who think the time only matters in those final seconds.  How much time did you waste arguing?  Between innings when you thought you needed your whole team to meet outside the dugout?  Trying to figure out your courtesy runner?  Not warming up your pitcher while your catcher is getting dressed?  What about when we started the clock immediately after the plate meeting and you took 5 minutes to get your team on the field?  Yeah, I screwed your team out of time that you paid for.

I will agree with you on drop dead times though.  I think we covered that recently here.  I know many people have an issue with it due to the tradition of the game, but that went out the window when you introduced the clock.  Two things I favor in tournaments: drop dead time and drop dead run rule (meaning if the visiting team puts you down by the run rule, no, you don't get another at bat

Deleted

On 7/22/2021 at 6:00 AM, Catch18 said:

Good bag, or no?

Back on track fellas….

Hey, any actual ball bags beat one of these:  

image.thumb.jpeg.337601c941cb6cc12920642f19c49664.jpeg
Behold, the baseball landscaper’s bag! 

Who ever thought this was a good idea??

On 7/22/2021 at 6:00 AM, Catch18 said:

606bd882ae4c31ce7e0dc0ac7c89237c.jpg
Good bag, or no?

Back on track fellas….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with these this year and I am a huge fan.

• Big enough to go 1 bag for tournaments or JV where they are stingy with baseballs.
  • Internal pockets are big enough to hold brush and indicator but do not protrude and get caught on a finger when reaching for a ball.
  • Good thick material, seems to help avoid wrinkling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

I went with these this year and I am a huge fan.

• Big enough to go 1 bag for tournaments or JV where they are stingy with baseballs.
  • Internal pockets are big enough to hold brush and indicator but do not protrude and get caught on a finger when reaching for a ball.
  • Good thick material, seems to help avoid wrinkling. 

I bought two for this year as well and really like them for all those reasons you state.

Absolutely a great ball bag and especially for that price.

I replaced my navy ones a few years ago with a set of these and it is the only ones I have bought since (needed a black pair).  As others have mentioned, lots of space and the expanding aspect means they are well built for not just holding balls, but holding them in place when you move (as opposed to those bags that taper).  I've been very impressed with the durability and quality -- no sun fading, no loose stitching, and they clean up in the wash with my shirts and pants.   

15 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Absolutely a great ball bag and especially for that price.

I replaced my navy ones a few years ago with a set of these and it is the only ones I have bought since (needed a black pair).  As others have mentioned, lots of space and the expanding aspect means they are well built for not just holding balls, but holding them in place when you move (as opposed to those bags that taper).  I've been very impressed with the durability and quality -- no sun fading, no loose stitching, and they clean up in the wash with my shirts and pants.   

I can second that as well.  I have these in both navy and black.  Perfect match to Smitty shirts too - which is a plus.

• Like 1

Imagine you are the head coach with a $1 million /ice cream sundae bonus for winning the national championship in your respective league.  Last inning, tied game, home team batting, R3 only, one out and the batter hits a can of corn to middle depth right field.  R3 tags up, F9 throws a bullet to F2 who has a play at the plate when BAM! PU has a banger... now I asks ya? do you think you give a f*ck about what color the ball bags the PU is wearing?

image.png.fc6f8c882f1d89b80be88a5ca3795928.png

:wave:  all due respect to my cousin vinny and Marisa...

7 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Imagine you are the head coach with a $1 million /ice cream sundae bonus for winning the national championship in your respective league.  Last inning, tied game, home team batting, R3 only, one out and the batter hits a can of corn to middle depth right field.  R3 tags up, F9 throws a bullet to F2 who has a play at the plate when BAM! PU has a banger... now I asks ya? do you think you give a f*ck about what color the ball bags the PU is wearing?

image.png.fc6f8c882f1d89b80be88a5ca3795928.png

:wave:  all due respect to my cousin vinny and Marisa...

Well, if that banger goes against the coach we can look forward to the posts that start “I should have known when the goober showed up with ONE GREY ball bag that we were going to get screwed … sure enough, Blind Bob missed the call at the plate by six miles.  Now all my kids, knowing that loss will prevent them from full D1 rides to pay for college, have turned to a life of crime and drugs.  One grey ball bag?  Jeesh.  He couldn’t even see to get dressed!”

But you do get full approval for posting hot younger Marissa Tomei, not to be confused with hot older Marissa Tomei.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:00 AM, Catch18 said:

606bd882ae4c31ce7e0dc0ac7c89237c.jpg
Good bag, or no?

Back on track fellas….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked one up and I’m not a fan.  The interior pockets aren’t the same size the the one to fit a plate brush is in the back.  I’ve always used the front pocket for my brush.  Like most Smitty items, didn’t feel this is of the highest quality either.

id rather spend a few more bucks for dry lo’s 

On 7/20/2021 at 1:48 AM, kylehutson said:

I remember seeing this here.

I thought I remembered @JimKirkposting about that arrangement, too, but my Google-fu is failing me.

Mine are still in good shape after 8(-ish maybe?) years

I have these I bought them from UA prob about 10 or so years ago.  Still use them and they are good bags.  I like the back zipper.  It’s odd but I don’t believe UA sells these anymore but somehow they are on Amazon.

Back in the day (late 90s/early 2000s) UA was a minor player and was owned I believe by a woman named Beulah Hester who was a sewer and made ball bags and some other items.  These bags aren’t those but they are somewhat similar.  I can’t remember UA’s other product offerings at the time.  They may have had private label shirts and carried some gear.  Then Jim purchased them and kept those bags for a bit but I believe Beulah was getting older and couldn’t produce them anymore. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:36 AM, Rock Bottom said:

As a former coach I couldn't stand when umps screwed us out of game time. I got ejected arguing once when that happened and knew the ump was lying about the time. Pure BS. If it makes the inning by one second play it. If it misses by a second don't. It sucks, and I understand as an ump why it does, but those teams pay good money and usually the tournament games are already 1:45 games anyway. Tournaments should use hard stops to avoid this ridiculousness but for some reason refuse to. To me it's a matter of integrity the same as not calling a runner safe when you know he's out just because it will get you the slaughter.

If it’s a single game, I’m fine sticking to the time limit in a close game. On a field with 6-7 games on it today, and umpires working 2-3 games, and a field maintenance guy or two there from 7am on….starting an inning with a second left is completely asinine.