So tell me about your ball bag

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 998 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just me being elitist.  It looks unprofessional.  Tossing a penny or a dime into the dirt looks like you were unprepared and were fortunate enough to find a coin on the way to the field.  Get a flipping coin.  Get one that makes a good conversation piece, but is easy to see.  It shows you care enough to be prepared and properly equipped for the game.  It makes the coin toss easy (instead of digging through powdery dirt to see if you have Roosevelt or torches).  Besides, a fun story or joke related to the coin makes you personable and approachable.  All part of the first impression.

To tie this back to ball bags ... You wouldn't run your belt through the handles of plastic grocery bags to make ball bags, would you?  So quit using currency for coin tosses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, Jackrabbitslims said:

These exact ball bags are sold on Amazon. They are fantastic....expensive...but worth the cost.

What are they called? I like the dry-lo bags. But having the lining on both sides is nice to have here in the PNW.

14 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Tossing a penny or a dime into the dirt looks like you were unprepared and were fortunate enough to find a coin on the way to the field.  Get a flipping coin.  Get one that makes a good conversation piece, but is easy to see.  It shows you care enough to be prepared and properly equipped for the game.  It makes the coin toss easy (instead of digging through powdery dirt to see if you have Roosevelt or torches).  Besides, a fun story or joke related to the coin makes you personable and approachable.  All part of the first impression.

Silver dollars are currency. They check all the boxes that seem to be a concern.

15 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

It looks unprofessional.  Tossing a penny or a dime into the dirt looks like you were unprepared and were fortunate enough to find a coin on the way to the field.  Get a flipping coin.  Get one that makes a good conversation piece, but is easy to see.  It shows you care enough to be prepared and properly equipped for the game.  It makes the coin toss easy (instead of digging through powdery dirt to see if you have Roosevelt or torches).  Besides, a fun story or joke related to the coin makes you personable and approachable.  All part of the first impression.

I endorse the thought process, but not the exact execution or implementation. The formal name you're looking for is "challenge coin", and they come from a variety of sources. To @Kevin_K's point, a Silver Dollar or big ol' Half Dollar do the trick, too, as do a Canadian Loonie (the two-part one). Many foreign national coins make for some pretty interesting talking points, but what I've found to be most effective is just a Challenge Coin, especially ones that have a different color per side, or different icons per side. 

Why? Because you can just make it reaaaaaaaaal simple at the plate meeting: "Bob, you're red, Jeff you're blue, and FLIP!" 

Cuz you know what's "unprofessional"? DOING THAT STUPID INDICATOR AND GUESS-A-NUMBER / ODDS-OR-EVENS TRICK!!! Know why?! Because there are coaches out there who know it, and know you're trying to make the stronger (looking) team to be the Home team, so you can get your coveted run rule faster! 

Stop it! It's gonna come back to bite ya!

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

I endorse the thought process, but not the exact execution or implementation. The formal name you're looking for is "challenge coin", and they come from a variety of sources. To @Kevin_K's point, a Silver Dollar or big ol' Half Dollar do the trick, too, as do a Canadian Loonie (the two-part one). Many foreign national coins make for some pretty interesting talking points, but what I've found to be most effective is just a Challenge Coin, especially ones that have a different color per side, or different icons per side. 

Why? Because you can just make it reaaaaaaaaal simple at the plate meeting: "Bob, you're red, Jeff you're blue, and FLIP!" 

Cuz you know what's "unprofessional"? DOING THAT STUPID INDICATOR AND GUESS-A-NUMBER / ODDS-OR-EVENS TRICK!!! Know why?! Because there are coaches out there who know it, and know you're trying to make the stronger (looking) team to be the Home team, so you can get your coveted run rule faster! 

I have never heard “challenge coin” in my life.  

Coach: “Hey, Blue … hold on a second [tosses out the challenge flag] …”

Umpire: [Pulls out challenge coin] Heads he’s out, tails he’s safe.”

Flipping coin … https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Flip-Coins/?page=1&perpage=36&cat=368&orderby=price desc&brand=&search=

Never heard of the indicator game either.  

Guess I live in a cave.  

Meh. I just flip my indicator. Numbers-side up is heads.

If it looks "unprofessional", not my call - the "professional" thing to do would be to have home and away sorted out before I get to the field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, kylehutson said:

Meh. I just flip my indicator. Numbers-side up is heads.

If it looks "unprofessional", not my call - the "professional" thing to do would be to have home and away sorted out before I get to the field.

I always thought they should do it the old way with the alternating hands on the handle of a bat with the winner being the one who tops off or covers the knob.  Make it a competition too...

Soo.. Bags to shirts to coin toss pieces

wow this thread is getting around.

Few years ago one of the other umpires at one of the classes I attended handed out challenge coins with his name on them LOL I thought they were a memorial coin for an umpire said "When did he die"   His buddy laughed for like 5 minutes on that one.

I still have it but I have NEVER used it

I just keep a quarter in my pocket

I used a silver dollar from 1883. I found that most of the participants were uninterested in history. After that I carry a variety of "challenge" coins; heads/tails baseball; zebra tail/head(from my football days);ASA national school. I have found that participants continue to be unimpressed with my coinage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

How about the head coaches spin with their foreheads on a bat and then see which one makes it the farthest to first base before falling down? 

I like the way you think

5 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

How about the head coaches spin with their foreheads on a bat and then see which one makes it the farthest to first base before falling down? 

Isn't this how they figured out who the home team was on YouTube MTV Sports (or whatever that thing was called)?

Everyone on there not named Dan Cortez sucked. That guy was the greatest non pro ever I think.

2 hours ago, Chris Hickman said:

… I just can’t believe we’re talking about flipping coins here…😩😩

Isn't how many coaches think we make decisions on safe/out and ball/strike? Might as well start the game with all participants knowing that coin flipping is an integral part of umpiring.

12 hours ago, MadMax said:

You’ll never, ever get me off using odd/even on the indicator. If we can deduce that one team is superior to the other, let’s have them be home (see: my related thoughts on flipping home/away when reaching slaughter or time limit). 

When games are 2:15 apart with 2:00 no new inning time limits, everything helps. Use all the tools at your disposal to help keep fields and umpires (and other teams) on time. Don’t start a new inning in a 6 run game because “well, there is a minute left!”  Thanks, you just threw the next game behind by 15-30 minutes, and it’s only game 2 of 6 on the day. The guys working the last two games really appreciate your consideration, when it’s not your problem they started the 8pm game at 9pm. 

How exactly is this going to bite me? I don’t care what they think, I’ll save the time and pay it forward. I’ve yet to have a comment on it. 

I think anyone who doesn’t take advantage of this is foolish. 

21 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

What are they called? I like the dry-lo bags. But having the lining on both sides is nice to have here in the PNW.

They are called Ump Attire...apparently Ump Attire was a clothing company before it was bought out by the current owner who made it more of an official supply company. Ump Attire website stopped carrying after a set amount of years after the buy out. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ump-Attire-Ultimate-Merchant-Factory/dp/B076DGQZL5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Ump+Attire&qid=1626744291&sr=8-1

4 hours ago, Jackrabbitslims said:

They are called Ump Attire...apparently Ump Attire was a clothing company before it was bought out by the current owner who made it more of an official supply company. Ump Attire website stopped carrying after a set amount of years after the buy out. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ump-Attire-Ultimate-Merchant-Factory/dp/B076DGQZL5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Ump+Attire&qid=1626744291&sr=8-1

I remember seeing this here.

I thought I remembered @JimKirkposting about that arrangement, too, but my Google-fu is failing me.

Mine are still in good shape after 8(-ish maybe?) years

16 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I have never heard “challenge coin” in my life.  

Coach: “Hey, Blue … hold on a second [tosses out the challenge flag] …”

Umpire: [Pulls out challenge coin] Heads he’s out, tails he’s safe.”

Flipping coin … https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Flip-Coins/?page=1&perpage=36&cat=368&orderby=price desc&brand=&search=

Never heard of the indicator game either.  

Guess I live in a cave.  

Blue Mon...a challenge coin is used by military and law enforcement personnel to commemorate a significant event, achievement, mission, etc. Everyone on the team or who helped support the event is given a nice coin about the size of a U.S. silver dollar. Those who have been issued a challenge coin are expected to carry it at all times.

If you should find yourself in an establishment that serves alcohol, anyone from that coin group can issue a challenge. All those in the group must then present their coins. Those who do not have their coins on them are buying drinks for all those who do have their coins. This assumes, of course, the person issuing the challenge has their coin.

If all present have their coins, the challenger is buying drinks for all for the remainder of the evening.

Finally, coin holders are permitted (and I quote) "...a step and a reach to acquire their coin if it's not on their person at the time of the challenge."

~Dawg

10 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Blue Mon...a challenge coin is used by military and law enforcement personnel to commemorate a significant event, achievement, mission, etc. Everyone on the team or who helped support the event is given a nice coin about the size of a U.S. silver dollar. Those who have been issued a challenge coin are expected to carry it at all times.

If you should find yourself in an establishment that serves alcohol, anyone from that coin group can issue a challenge. All those in the group must then present their coins. Those who do not have their coins on them are buying drinks for all those who do have their coins. This assumes, of course, the person issuing the challenge has their coin.

If all present have their coins, the challenger is buying drinks for all for the remainder of the evening.

Finally, coin holders are permitted (and I quote) "...a step and a reach to acquire their coin if it's not on their person at the time of the challenge."

~Dawg

Well, hell.  I have challenge coins (emergency response events) and didn’t know that’s what they were called.  Nobody ever bought me drink.

I even used one for coin tosses ...and this is how I would quiz players who came to the toss: The tornado was tails (because a tornado has a tail) and the state was heads because we call the governor ... ?? The head of state.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Well, hell.  I have challenge coins (emergency response events) and didn’t know that’s what they were called.  Nobody ever bought me drink.

I even used one for coin tosses ...and this is how I would quiz players who came to the toss: The tornado was tails (because a tornado has a tail) and the state was heads because we call the governor ... ?? The head of state.

I'll buy you a drink, bruh...I got you.

~Dawg

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, Thatsnotyou said:

You’ll never, ever get me off using odd/even on the indicator. If we can deduce that one team is superior to the other, let’s have them be home (see: my related thoughts on flipping home/away when reaching slaughter or time limit). 

When games are 2:15 apart with 2:00 no new inning time limits, everything helps. Use all the tools at your disposal to help keep fields and umpires (and other teams) on time. Don’t start a new inning in a 6 run game because “well, there is a minute left!”  Thanks, you just threw the next game behind by 15-30 minutes, and it’s only game 2 of 6 on the day. The guys working the last two games really appreciate your consideration, when it’s not your problem they started the 8pm game at 9pm. 

How exactly is this going to bite me? I don’t care what they think, I’ll save the time and pay it forward. I’ve yet to have a comment on it. 

I think anyone who doesn’t take advantage of this is foolish. 

As a former coach I couldn't stand when umps screwed us out of game time. I got ejected arguing once when that happened and knew the ump was lying about the time. Pure BS. If it makes the inning by one second play it. If it misses by a second don't. It sucks, and I understand as an ump why it does, but those teams pay good money and usually the tournament games are already 1:45 games anyway. Tournaments should use hard stops to avoid this ridiculousness but for some reason refuse to. To me it's a matter of integrity the same as not calling a runner safe when you know he's out just because it will get you the slaughter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

As a former coach I couldn't stand when umps screwed us out of game time. I got ejected arguing once when that happened and knew the ump was lying about the time. Pure BS. If it makes the inning by one second play it. If it misses by a second don't. It sucks, and I understand as an ump why it does, but those teams pay good money and usually the tournament games are already 1:45 games anyway. Tournaments should use hard stops to avoid this ridiculousness but for some reason refuse to. To me it's a matter of integrity the same as not calling a runner safe when you know he's out just because it will get you the slaughter.

This may be a controversial take ... but that's easy to say when you are the guy getting a free extra hour for your money instead of working a pointless extra hour for no money.

I agree with you that an umpire shouldn't lie about the time.  One second?  Sorry man, most of the time I'm telling you "game over."  In my experience, the games that run over rarely do so because they are a good game that went extra innings.  I won't say never.  However, in my experience, easily 90% of games that run over do so because they are a blowout with the "wrong home team" and that team didn't manage to push across the last run to kill it or prevent a meaningless run that extended it.

I would say that umpires should manage the clock better.  That plate is a little dirty and you should probably double check the count with your partner, just to make sure.  If you consider that screwing you out of time, sorry.  I have a very hard time with coaches who think the time only matters in those final seconds.  How much time did you waste arguing?  Between innings when you thought you needed your whole team to meet outside the dugout?  Trying to figure out your courtesy runner?  Not warming up your pitcher while your catcher is getting dressed?  What about when we started the clock immediately after the plate meeting and you took 5 minutes to get your team on the field?  Yeah, I screwed your team out of time that you paid for.

I will agree with you on drop dead times though.  I think we covered that recently here.  I know many people have an issue with it due to the tradition of the game, but that went out the window when you introduced the clock.  Two things I favor in tournaments: drop dead time and drop dead run rule (meaning if the visiting team puts you down by the run rule, no, you don't get another at bat).

• Like 2