Coach showmanship

On 7/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, agdz59 said:

Thank you TMIB, that is exactly what I meant.

I'll say this again: you may have meant X, but the issue is how it might be perceived, something over which you have no control. That is why this approach can and probably will get you "both into and out of trouble on the field and in life." This principle is a version of "silence cannot be misquoted."

I fail to see how festering tension, as described, on the other side of the fence is, in any way, throwing your partner under the bus. If things are that bad, address it with game administration or the HC.

3 hours ago, LRZ said:

I'll say this again: you may have meant X, but the issue is how it might be perceived, something over which you have no control. That is why this approach can and probably will get you "both into and out of trouble on the field and in life." This principle is a version of "silence cannot be misquoted."

I fail to see how festering tension, as described, on the other side of the fence is, in any way, throwing your partner under the bus. If things are that bad, address it with game administration or the HC.

- You weren't there.

- MANY other umpires in our association will not work with this guy.

- The TD was OK with how I handled things.

- I'm going to be asked back, he will not.

- Coaches thanked me a week later for the way I handled things.

- My association assignor has told me "I wish I had 100 guys like you." at the tail end of this season.

- I am not going to apologize as I have nothing to apologize for.

9 hours ago, agdz59 said:

- You weren't there. Right, I wasn't. I have only your report.

- MANY other umpires in our association will not work with this guy. I don't doubt the guy is a problem.

- The TD was OK with how I handled things. *

- I'm going to be asked back, he will not. I don't doubt you are a quality umpire.

- Coaches thanked me a week later for the way I handled things. If you willing to believe coaches when they compliment you, be prepared to believe them when they say you're terrible.

- My association assignor has told me "I wish I had 100 guys like you." at the tail end of this season. Again, I don't doubt this.

- I am not going to apologize as I have nothing to apologize for. *

* What you are overlooking or ignoring is the "might get you in trouble," which both you (post #3) and TMIB say (post 22) happens to you at times. Why do you think that happens? Do you think it could be that, despite your good intentions, people take your remarks a different way than intended? The time you described, it worked; if it hadn't, would you apologize then?

Lastly, there are ways to defuse tension, inside or outside the fence, without risking undermining your partner.

16 minutes ago, LRZ said:

* What you are overlooking or ignoring is the "might get you in trouble," which both you (post #3) and TMIB say (post 22) happens to you at times. Why do you think that happens? Do you think it could be that, despite your good intentions, people take your remarks a different way than intended? The time you described, it worked; if it hadn't, would you apologize then?

Lastly, there are ways to defuse tension, inside or outside the fence, without risking undermining your partner.

I think it’s obvious at this point that he doesn’t care what other umpires think and would feel if they were his partner, and won’t change his stance, just move on

1 hour ago, SH0102 said:

I think it’s obvious at this point that he doesn’t care what other umpires think and would feel if they were his partner, and won’t change his stance, just move on

This is not clear to me (just yet): I'm reading the poster in question as a newer umpire, but an individual who can get a bit defensive at times. Happens to the best of us. But I could be wrong.