Throat protector....Yes or No?...Size?....Brand?, etc....

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 587 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, humanbackstop19 said:

I just picked up a Wilson titanium and am considering one since the angle of the built-in guard is steeper than my old aluminum (which I did not have one attached). 

“Angle is steeper”? Does that mean it is raked forward more? You likely have a Wilson Platinum-edition Titanium, AKA “the Billy Goat”. In direct contrast to the Nike “Icon” Titanium, which has no forward rake to its chin guard so as to allow it to serve as a throat guard for its original and most famous user – Jorge Posada – the Billy Goat  debuted alongside the WestVest Platinum, complete with a billow pad for a dangling throat guard to be mounted, swing free, and bounce off the CP easily. 

I myself do not wear a dangling throat guard on any of my masks. 16 years of being a catcher did this to me. My HoK stance, combined with a slight tipping down of my head significantly reduces the angles exposed to pitches or fouls. 

I recommend other umpires to consider throat guards, but I myself don’t use them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am that guy that does not use one as Kyle said. My neck build is short and my AS CP sits real high. My AS Mag mask and Wilson alum mask both over lap my CP so I am protected. Still most people need one and many have them on wrong. Like Mad Max said I too recommend for those that need one, get one. 

• Like 1

I wear a 4 inch one but after reading this thread and seeing some of those vids, Im gonna swap out to the 6 inch model

I too started with it wrong and one of the instructors at school grabbed my mask called me an idiot and told me I had it on there wrong. 

1st time I had ever worn a mask and I had just put it on there like an hour before he saw it.

Yeah made me feel like I was about 2 inches tall.

But hey it worked I know where they mount now and also now understand why the length on it is better than the shortness, Its not there to deflect and absorb the ball alone, you want that contact with the CP at the bottom to keep it from driving its way back into your throat.

• Like 2

Yes, I only do 6".  I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Anyone know where to find a Spyder?   Now that Rakuten US is gone, I can't find one anywhere.  Samurai Gears is out too.

I may order several Shovel's from So.  I figure that if I'm going to I get one shipped, then I may as well get a couple extra and sell them to guys asking me for them here in the states. I'd just need to sell them with a small markup to cover shipping costs to the new buyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I wear a 4 inch one but after reading this thread and seeing some of those vids, Im gonna swap out to the 6 inch model

I too started with it wrong and one of the instructors at school grabbed my mask called me an idiot and told me I had it on there wrong. 

What school?  That's not necessary!  I never understood the 'berating' style of teaching/instructing.  :rolleyes:

Hell to the yes, to the yes, yes, yes.

I VIVIDLY remember being a 12 year old playing LL majors. Our UIC, Jenny Ellison was working the plate and she took a foul direct to the throat. Thank God she was not seriously injured, but it took her out of the game as a precaution...  considering I'm inching towards 50, and still recall this event with clarity, I never have questioned wearing or not wearing a guard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Knowing he didn't "say that" makes me take back my initial comment

But, while we're on the subject...

I completely agree with your sentiments here. Why berate someone? Why? We're all brothers out there. If one attends a camp or clinic, one is clearly there to learn...whether it's mechanics, rules knowledge...or something as simple as how to mount a throat protector.

"Hey...how ya' doing...could I talk to you for a few moments about how your throat protector is attached? You might want to consider this way because you'll get proper protection..."

Why is that so hard?

And while I'm up on this horse...same for coaches. I really wish there was a way for us societally, culturally to get away from frying kids when they make mistakes on the baseball field. They know they need to hit there! They know they need to field a ball and make a good throw for a put out! Baseball has a lot of failure...why not support our kids instead of frying them? Lining 9 year olds up on the fence after a house LL game loss and ripping them relentlessly with profanity? 

I don't remember the wins and losses when I played. What I remember are the coaches and other adults who were supportive...and those who were abusive.

Brothers, if you are out there instructing umpires at the AMATEUR level, please think about your tone and approach. Be supportive and collaborative...like those "students" are your brothers.

~Dawg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

But, while we're on the subject...

I completely agree with your sentiments here. Why berate someone? Why? We're all brothers out there. If one attends a camp or clinic, one is clearly there to learn...whether it's mechanics, rules knowledge...or something as simple as how to mount a throat protector.

"Hey...how ya' doing...could I talk to you for a few moments about how your throat protector is attached? You might want to consider this way because you'll get proper protection..."

Why is that so hard?

And while I'm up on this horse...same for coaches. I really wish there was a way for us societally, culturally to get away from frying kids when they make mistakes on the baseball field. They know they need to hit there! They know they need to field a ball and make a good throw for a put out! Baseball has a lot of failure...why not support our kids instead of frying them? Lining 9 year olds up on the fence after a house LL game loss and ripping them relentlessly with profanity? 

I don't remember the wins and losses when I played. What I remember are the coaches and other adults who were supportive...and those who were abusive.

Brothers, if you are out there instructing umpires at the AMATEUR level, please think about your tone and approach. Be supportive and collaborative...like those "students" are your brothers.

~Dawg

Ok ...ok....  hang on - Understood, but ..... ArchAngel72 didn't give us the correct info.  The instructor in fact DID NOT call him an idiot, ...he just FELT like one.  BIG DIFFERENCE.   Now, no more here ... back on topic please :nod: 

I am on again, off again with my throat protector.  Sounding like @Mr Ump above, I am built like a ....... well..........a fire hydrant.......with ball bags.....  Depending on the time of year and which CP I am using, dictates if I use one or not.

I will say this... if I decide to step on the field next year (and that is a big if right now) then I may or may not have one. If I wear my MAG then I will (no one needs to see the photo again:D). But if I decide to test out the Rawlings, I probably won't.

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I will say this... if I decide to step on the field next year (and that is a big if right now) then I may or may not have one. If I wear my MAG then I will (no one needs to see the photo again:D). But if I decide to test out the Rawlings, I probably won't.

??????????????????????????

I have been hit in the throat protector by thrown BATS about 95% of the time.  If you are in the right slot, you will rarely get hit by  foul ball.  It should whistle past your ear.

Bats?  Been hammered a bunch (in Little League).  I always wear one!

Mike

Las Vegas

Anyone have this problem? I use a 6" throat protector. When there's a pop fly or something, I look up for the ball then when I look back down the protector has swung back and hooked the shell of my chest protector. Boom, off comes my mask. And I do have the throat guard in the right place and my Douglas pads are up to my neck. Thoughts? 4"?

9 minutes ago, GerryB said:

Anyone have this problem? I use a 6" throat protector. When there's a pop fly or something, I look up for the ball then when I look back down the protector has swung back and hooked the shell of my chest protector. Boom, off comes my mask. And I do have the throat guard in the right place and my Douglas pads are up to my neck. Thoughts? 4"?

If I am looking up for a ball my mask is in my hand

• Like 1