Shoe life

ArchAngel72

This thread is all starting cause I got messed up, went to the wrong field got to the correct field 5 minutes late and found my partner had grabbed the plate and started the game. No biggie I just shed my cup, shins and chest protector, swapped into my bases jersey left on my plate shoes and pants and hit the bases.

Well there it is did a game out on the bases in my plate shoes, Damned if my feet are not barking at me today.

So here is the question

How long do you get out of a pair of shoes  plate or bases?

I got 3n2 brand ones and I did love them the 1st yr and 2nd year now I'm in the 4th (3rd was covid yr hard to count that with maybe 20 games )  with the plate and I was going to replace them with some NB ones I was hoping ends of season but I may go sooner.

I'll beat guys like @MadMax and @wolfe_man to the punch here.

We need to think of our umpire shoes as athletic shoes and not work shoes. Because we run around in them much more than our work shoes, they break down faster. I know guys that say they get about two years out of their shoes and then have to get new ones.

I usually can go about 4 years in plate shoes and maybe around 3 or 4 in base shoes before I had to replace them. But that was also when I was working a ton. Now it is several more years that I can stretch it out because of my miniscule schedule.

The one exception this year is my base shoes. My feet kill me every time I put them on. So I have gone to a pair of sneakers that I use on the weekends. Sketchers Memory foam slip on shoes. Oddly enough... these have been quite acceptable on the bases and keep feet nice and cool. Something I can not say with my normal base shoes. 

• Like 2

With my workload (≈ 400 games per year): 

Plate Shoes – I’m lucky if they last more than a year. I’m doing some 120-150 plate games per year, and I’m 210-220 lbs (frustratingly fluctuating), so not only is the exterior getting wore out due to friction with the shin guards, but the midsole – the cushioning – gets compressed, flattens, or as what befalls shoes here in the desert, dries out and hardens like concrete from the heat. My first 7 years in Wisconsin, I managed to get by with one pair of Plate shoes; after moving to Arizona, it became a new pair of plate shoes each and every year. I could get new insoles, but typically, other parts of the shoes are failing just as miserably. 

Base Shoes – While in Wisconsin, I had no more than 2 pairs of base shoes. Of course, I “had to have” the MLB -style New Balance shoes or I wasn’t a “serious, in-style” umpire. Brought those to Arizona and that stylistic obsession was quickly and painfully de-feet-ed (haha! get it?) after 2 games! Polished leather base shoes are for those who... well, I’ll be nice. 
Anyway, I’ve gone through scores of base shoes in the following 5 years, and now maintain no less than 5 pairs of base shoes... and none of them are “the MLB ones”. The shoes I actually favor are the Nike Air Max Vomero’s and the new Nike Elite Huarache 3’s. 

• Like 1

Well I am 6'1.5" @240-250 lately  Damn you Covid!

I was pre covid down to 232 and dropping from 240

So, yeah there is that working against me

I also have diabetic neuropathy and I don't feel my knees down very well. Its odd I feel the muscle, but the skin sensation is nearly gone. 

Just thankfully leg and foot cramps hurt less now. but the rest of that crap that comes with it. Yeah No bueno..

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

With my workload (≈ 400 games per year): 

With this amount of games, how many shots would you say you take off the shoes? In my about 50 plates since I started umpiring I don't recall a single shot down there.

5 hours ago, Scissors said:

With this amount of games, how many shots would you say you take off the shoes? In my about 50 plates since I started umpiring I don't recall a single shot down there.

It only takes one to take a toenail off in the top of the second inning to make you realize you should have plate shoes. Voice of experience...

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mark38090 said:

It only takes one to take a toenail off in the top of the second inning to make you realize you should have plate shoes. Voice of experience...

I was wearing steel toed normal shoes in LL but bought regular plate shoes when I moved to higher levels, glad I did

20 hours ago, Scissors said:

With this amount of games, how many shots would you say you take off the shoes?

Covering ≈ 150 plates per year, I’m counting maybe 1-2 off the plate shoes, tops. Consider, though, for 80-90% of those games, I’m looking at 65-100 MPH. 

Even during MLB ST pitching sessions, I’m not going in there without plate shoes. 

I’m tellin’ ya, someone needs to produce an attachable metatarsal guard. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

Covering ≈ 150 plates per year, I’m counting maybe 1-2 off the plate shoes, tops. Consider, though, for 80-90% of those games, I’m looking at 65-100 MPH. 

Even during MLB ST pitching sessions, I’m not going in there without plate shoes. 

I’m tellin’ ya, someone needs to produce an attachable metatarsal guard. 

Ha, I guess it's karma, but I took two hard shots off the left foot tonight (downside of scissors). Glad I have some decent shoes.

I like the NB plate shoes. I’m 280 and my current shows have been going on 2 years, but they’re wearing out and no amount of polish can help. I just ordered a new pair of V3 from Amazon.

For the bases, I use an all black or mostly black sneaker with a little traction. I have a few pair that I cycle through. ASICS, NB, Under Armour, whatever. I’m not picky as long they fit (not easy) and are mostly black.