I was the plate umpire.  Runners on 1st and 3rd, two outs.  The at-bat was nothing to write about, but I called "ball four" on a pitch and the runner trotted off to first.  The runner on 3rd thought the bases were loaded, so he began trotting home and no one said anything to stop him.  The catcher just held onto the ball without throwing it back to the pitcher, and waited.  Realizing what was happening, I took off my mask and adjusted my positioning to get into the "wedge" to make the call. 

The runner didn't notice any of this, and his team left him hanging -- they didn't say a single word to get him back on the base.  When he was a few feet from the plate, the catcher jumped out and tagged him.  "He's OUT!" I signaled.  

The runner just stood there looking confused while the defense left the field to begin their turn at bat until someone finally told him, "There was no one on second."  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was the plate umpire.  Runners on 1st and 3rd, two outs.  The at-bat was nothing to write about, but I called "ball four" on a pitch and the runner trotted off to first.  The runner on 3rd thought t

As a player, I loved that play when it worked (meaning "we scored").  I was a catcher and never had it run against me, but as R3 I did it a few times.

As an umpire, I love that your play went the way it did.  I don't think I have ever seen that happen.  Do you think the catcher knew the whole time, or was it a "the ump gave it away" moment?