Should PU verbalize “ball” on every ball?

rhinolith
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 929 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:07 AM, flyingron said:

Juuust a bit outside.

I say this or "hit the bull" at conversational volume for those. I get fewer and fewer laughs or nods of recognition with every passing year.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:55 AM, noumpere said:

Strikes --> Outs

Outs --> Innings

Innings --> Completed Games

Games --> Paychecks

Paychecks --> Beer

Beer --> Sleep

Sleep is good.  Call more strikes.

I need this on a T-Shirt!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, maven said:

I also call each pitch by number (Ball 1, Strike 1, etc.), and announce the count about every 3rd pitch or when otherwise needed. 

Similar to this - differences: 

• I call each pitch but do not give the number. 
  • I usually try to announce the count on every other pitch -- but that really depends on the action in progress.  Frequent throws to first, etc. 
  • I always announce the count before putting the ball back into play.  ("3-1, Play!") It gets a little redundant on the fourth foul ball in a row, but I'd rather do that to keep my internal timing.  

I always make sure to hold up both fists for a full count, though.  /s

On 9/21/2021 at 7:21 AM, BrainFreeze said:

I always make sure to hold up both fists for a full count, though.  /s

What is this? /s = Sarcasm? Smile? Sarcastic smile?

Both fists are not "full count". Two fists can be interpreted as "no count". 3 balls & 2 strikes, 3–2 – or a "full count" in the parlance of the players and public – is given with 3 fingers on the left, and 2 on the right. 

Show one (modern) Professional umpire that gives a "full count" with two fists. 

It was a good, beneficial post until that last bit. Pay me no mind if you were being sarcastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MadMax said:

It was a good, beneficial post until that last bit. Pay me no mind if you were being sarcastic.

I never thought I'd say this, but you need to spend more time on the Internet. :laugh:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation ...

"It is common in online conversation among some Internet users to use an XML closing tag: </sarcasm>. Over time, it has evolved to lose the angle brackets (/sarcasm) and has subsequently been shortened to /sarc or /s (not to be confused with the HTML end tag </s> used to end a struck-through passage)."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

I never thought I'd say this, but you need to spend more time on the Internet.

Hey! Ease up on me! I'm one of the Gen-X'ers that built the bloody thing! I know it's a rotten cesspool!

Besides, he (BrainFreeze) is new here... I'm used to seeing our handy sarcastic emoji warning :sarcasm:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Hey! Ease up on me! I'm one of the Gen-X'ers that built the bloody thing! I know it's a rotten cesspool!

Me too, but it's a fun rotten cesspool. And it's also a big part of my day-job.

40 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Besides, he (BrainFreeze) is new here... I'm used to seeing our handy sarcastic emoji warning :sarcasm:

Easy Big Guy! Ya don't wanna blow a seal on that vintage model Gen X cardio system!

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:56 PM, MadMax said:

What is this? /s = Sarcasm? Smile? Sarcastic smile?

Both fists are not "full count". Two fists can be interpreted as "no count". 3 balls & 2 strikes, 3–2 – or a "full count" in the parlance of the players and public – is given with 3 fingers on the left, and 2 on the right. 

Show one (modern) Professional umpire that gives a "full count" with two fists. 

Sorry for the slow response -- this has been a fun tangent! 

Thank you @kylehutson for the assist. 

@MadMax, another good one is /rant -- hehe. 

Enjoy the next to last weekend of Fall Ball -- my games are starting this afternoon and it's stopped raining :)