Should PU verbalize “ball” on every ball?

rhinolith
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 929 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If a pitch is obvious to everyone that it is a ball, should the PU still say “ball”?

For example, a pitch that is airmailed to the backstop? A pitch that hits the dirt in front of the plate can’t be a strike, but should it be verbalized? 

Thank you.

10 hours ago, rhinolith said:

If a pitch is obvious to everyone that it is a ball, should the PU still say “ball”?

For example, a pitch that is airmailed to the backstop? A pitch that hits the dirt in front of the plate can’t be a strike, but should it be verbalized? 

Thank you.

Newer umpires should -- it helps develop consistent timing and helps keep track of the count.  As an umpire develops experience, s/he can drop it on those types of pitches.

• Like 4

This is what the website umpirebible.com says about verbalizing the call for a pitch out of the zone—I take it to mean on each occurrence.

Ball  There is no signal for a called ball. Instead, simply verbalize the call, "ball". Call the ball while still down, then come up. On ball four, don't point to first base, just say "ball." If the batter doesn't head toward first base, you can simply say to him "that's four."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have been working to verbalize or signal everything as appropriate. The airmailed pitches usually end up me talking to myself.

Reasons:

- over communication is often a often a good thing (Applying this everywhere in my life currently)
- that Texas softball foul ball. ~Shudder~

- ‘obvious’ pitched balls and fouls aren’t always so obvious, e.g. I was sitting down the 1B line at my sons’ HS game Thursday, and noticed grounders up the 3B line got no verbal or physical action from the PU. I’m sure he thought they were obvious* but why make 2/3 of the Def and Off guess? Removing ambiguity is a big part of the ump’s job, no?

* laziness or definition of obvious has crept over time? Idk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rhinolith said:

I verbalize every pitch except one (kind), and the volume varies:

• Ball: from almost inaudible (airmailed) to mid-strike volume (can't quite grab it for a strike)—stay down to call it
  • Strike: silent for swinging strikes, mid-volume for pitch down the middle to fairly loud on the edges—stand up to call it

I also call each pitch by number (Ball 1, Strike 1, etc.), and announce the count about every 3rd pitch or when otherwise needed. 

Umpiring is about communication: don't keep important info secret.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, maven said:

I verbalize every pitch except one (kind)

...and that is? I’m dying with curiosity 😺 (or did I miss which you don’t verbalize?) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Velho said:

...and that is? I’m dying with curiosity 😺 (or did I miss which you don’t verbalize?) 

You missed it.  The swinging strike.

• Like 1

This brought to mind some added points for me  https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-gio-urshela-draws-three-ball-walk-vs-tigers-umpire-crew-later-admits-they-missed-the-call/ (fyi: only 1 of the 4 broadcasts caught it and they swallowed calling it out. Odd. I wonder what count the stadium scoreboard showed).

I put up the count a lot (likely obnoxiously too often for most umpires); after 2nd pitch and almost every pitch thereafter. But I do LL so players are young/not dialed into the situation and scoreboards (if there is one) are often wrong. If I don't put it up (1-0, 0-1, or repeated 3-2) I will verbalize it for myself, catcher, and batter (picked that up from a friend). It keeps everyone in sync (me included. Having issues lately. Pitches direct at my forehead AND batter swinging (wth?) as I duck likely what is getting me off track 🤣).

I'm going to keep doing the mechanics every time. Pound the muscle memory. If the ump had come up with the full "Foul" maybe this wouldn't have happened (no blame. It was a routine check swing foul a 1 in 100K outcome.)

Speak up!

Focus!

• Like 1

I do verbalize ball even on the obvious ones, just not as loud.

As far as the count goes I'm trying something different this season. I only "announce" the count, verbally and visually, after the third and fifth pitches. But after every pitch I give the count in a conversational volume to the batter and catcher. Keeps us all on the same page and reinforces it in my mind to help avoid brain farts.

• Like 3

I give the count starting after the third pitch, and then every pitch thereafter, unless it repeats due to foul balls. In that case, I’ll usually repeat it every third pitch or so and/or say “still 2-2” to batter/catcher. 

Sometimes I think it’s too much...but I’m rarely asked for the count, especially compared to some of my partners who don’t seem to follow any “system”. 

• Like 1

Nobody asked me but...

I'm always amazed when I work the plate how many times I get asked what the count is despite the fact that I give it:

2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 3-2, after every dead ball situation and every stolen base.

Feedback suggests I am still not giving it frequently enough. As a social experiment, I'm thinking about giving it before every pitch at my next low-stakes game but, I'll still have batters walking up from the on-deck circle to begin their at-bats asking for the count...

I also enjoy the coaches at games with a scoreboard who call time when the scoreboard is wrong to "help remind me" what the count is...

~Dawg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Nobody asked me but...

I'm always amazed when I work the plate how many times I get asked what the count is despite the fact that I give it:

Feedback suggests I am still not giving it frequently enough. As a social experiment, I'm thinking about giving it before every pitch at my next low-stakes game but, I'll still have batters walking up from the on-deck circle to begin their at-bats asking for the count...

I also enjoy the coaches at games with a scoreboard who call time when the scoreboard is wrong to "help remind me" what the count is...

~Dawg

The problem is that you are not signaling it properly. Other than the catcher seeing, they can't hear you and/or are not paying attention to your signal or announcement. Once you flash the count straight ahead to the pitcher you need to rotate both hands 90 degrees to flash half the signal to each dugout and then turn and flash the count both ways to each dugout. Insert the appropriate emoji.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

The problem is that you are not signaling it properly. Other than the catcher seeing, they can't hear you and/or are not paying attention to your signal or announcement. Once you flash the count straight ahead to the pitcher you need to rotate both hands 90 degrees to flash half the signal to each dugout and then turn and flash the count both ways to each dugout. Insert the appropriate emoji.

I have a few emojis for you....

:confused::WTF:HS:o:no::lol::lol:

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, noumpere said:

And when it's really close, it should sound like "STRIKE!"

A number of us are notorious for suggesting that amateur umpires do not call enough strikes. The virtues of calling more strikes are numerous; primary among them are better baseball and shorter games.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Nobody asked me but...

~Dawg

Had a catcher ask me the count 2 seconds after I yelled "two - two" right behind him.  Maybe he was being sarcastic, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Yes

Unless it is so egregiously out of the strike zone ie. in the dirt of the opposite batters box and or behind the batter in his box 

I do call it. Even if I had to get out of the way of the catcher I make the call.

Oh the ones that find my cup.  its "Bahaaaauuul"

more like a cough than a shout...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maven said:

A number of us are notorious for suggesting that amateur umpires do not call enough strikes. The virtues of calling more strikes are numerous; primary among them are better baseball and shorter games.

Strikes --> Outs

Outs --> Innings

Innings --> Completed Games

Games --> Paychecks

Paychecks --> Beer

Beer --> Sleep

Sleep is good.  Call more strikes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 5:21 PM, Thatsnotyou said:

I give the count starting after the third pitch, and then every pitch thereafter, unless it repeats due to foul balls. In that case, I’ll usually repeat it every third pitch or so and/or say “still 2-2” to batter/catcher. 

Sometimes I think it’s too much...but I’m rarely asked for the count, especially compared to some of my partners who don’t seem to follow any “system”. 

That is exactly what I been doing for 25 years. As my memory has gotten worse with age verbalizing the count first and foremost keeps me in the game. And rarely am I asked the count. If I make a mistake I got two helpers right there to get me straight. The batter and the catcher.

Oh and I say ball every pitch unless it is ridiculously off the top of the backstop. I believe the rule book says every pitch should be called. Too many umpires keep important info a secret. Why?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

That is exactly what I been doing for 25 years. As my memory has gotten worse with age verbalizing the count first and foremost keeps me in the game. And rarely am I asked the count. If I make a mistake I got two helpers right there to get me straight. The batter and the catcher.

Oh and I say ball every pitch unless it is ridiculously off the top of the backstop. I believe the rule book says every pitch should be called. Too many umpires keep important info a secret. Why?

Love this .....

I probably will actually still say 'ball' just to me and the catcher on crazy pitches that aren't even close to the zone...but on SUPER obvious ones, I don't think it's that crucial.

19 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Love this .....

I probably will actually still say 'ball' just to me and the catcher on crazy pitches that aren't even close to the zone...but on SUPER obvious ones, I don't think it's that crucial.

Juuust a bit outside.

• Haha 1