batter thinks its ball 4, runner on second starts to walk as well

Umpire942
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1054 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

6 minutes ago, Umpire942 said:

catchter throws, 2ndbase tags him.  hes out no?  this is HS level here.

Correct!

not even sure why i should be asking.  ball is live, umpire did not say walk or ball 4 etc.  (what if he did though by mistake?)

If the empires error causes a team to be put at a disadvantage he can correct it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Umpire942 said:

let me spin it some more,  there is confusion.  umpire still never said ball 4, coach yells after throw tag him, player only steps on base instead.  Coaches walk out on field without calling time.  

Not sure what you are asking.  Please clarify

29 minutes ago, Umpire942 said:

let me spin it some more,  there is confusion.  umpire still never said ball 4, coach yells after throw tag him, player only steps on base instead.  Coaches walk out on field without calling time.  

Well...what would you do in ANY situation where the runner must be tagged but the fielder touches the base?

What would you do in ANY situation where the coaches start walking onto the field during a live play?

As an umpire, you should know that coaches don't call time, they request time...umpires grant or refuse it.

• Like 1

already know the answers to all of those.  But regardless play has stopped.  The 3rd base coach would be warned, which would require a TIME to be called no?, and now they cannot correctly tag the runner.  

Does the coach coming onto the field, during a live play, warrant a judgement of an out  (we are off topic now)

1 hour ago, Umpire942 said:

not even sure why i should be asking.  ball is live, umpire did not say walk or ball 4 etc.  (what if he did though by mistake?)

Based on this and this alone R2 is out and yes ball is still live

IF by chance the Umpire called "ball four take your base or go to 1st" then yes  the PU can correct that and put the runner back on 2nd and correct his error.

24 minutes ago, Umpire942 said:

Does the coach coming onto the field, during a live play, warrant a judgement of an out  (we are off topic now)

Why would it justify an "out"...it's going to be the defensive coach coming onto the field, so why would you benefit his action...the offensive coaches are already on the field, in their boxes.

"Coach, the play is live, get back"

12 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Based on this and this alone R2 is out and yes ball is still live

IF by chance the Umpire called "ball four take your base or go to 1st" then yes  the PU can correct that and put the runner back on 2nd and correct his error.

Off topic, please don’t tell me that trained umpires are adding “take your base” to “ball four”

1 hour ago, Umpire942 said:

In LL minors or 9U MAYBE I'll kill it and put people back.  In HS? No way.  I've got an out for sure.

If I call ball 4 by mistake, once I've been corrected by the scorekeeper, I'm resetting without penalty.

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Off topic, please don’t tell me that trained umpires are adding “take your base” to “ball four”

in LL yah you do not know how many times I get an 8 to 10 U standing there waiting for the next pitch even after saying it was ball four 2 or 3 times.  I point with the left arm to 1st and say go to 1st

and YES they train that at Bristol because 8 to 10U are well 8 to 10......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

in LL yah you do not know how many times I get an 8 to 10 U standing there waiting for the next pitch even after saying it was ball four 2 or 3 times.  I point with the left arm to 1st and say go to 1st

and YES they train that at Bristol because 8 to 10U are well 8 to 10......

I have had to tell an occasional 8 year old to take his base. I don't usually point there because most players know where 1B is. Nobody has gone to 3B yet. But "take your base" should not be heard on most baseball fields, never mind pointing when the players know where the base is.

11 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I have had to tell an occasional 8 year old to take his base. I don't usually point there because most players know where 1B is. Nobody has gone to 3B yet. But "take your base" should not be heard on most baseball fields, never mind pointing when the players know where the base is.

I try not to work any lower than 10U any more, but I've found, if they miss my saying it, a simple "Dude.  Ball 4." usually gets them moving, regardless of age.

12 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

My standard is 'take your base' over 'ball 4'.  The earth has not opened.  I have not been thrown into the abyss. Coaches and players have not clutched their pearls.

What unforgivable faux pas have I been unwittingly performing by uttering those fateful words?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

My standard is 'take your base' over 'ball 4'.  The earth has not opened.  I have not been thrown into the abyss. Coaches and players have not clutched their pearls.

What unforgivable faux pas have I been unwittingly performing by uttering those fateful words?

Off topic for sure, but, I would like to see a 'unwritten rules for umpires' thread so that I know what I shouldn't do... I would start with having balls returned and having them handed to me vice tossing them to me. Yours probably would include saying 'ball 4 vice take your base'.  lol 

28 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

I think it was at an Evans Clinic that we students were asked how to award 1B on ball four. A bunch of us were saying the usual stuff, take...etc. We then were were laughingly demonstrated the award by the instructor: "ball four". But if you can show me a professional umpire saying it or pointing to 1B I will take this off my faux pas list. Have you been to a clinic where they heard you say "take your base" and they did not dissuade you?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

Of course not -- but that doesn't make it right.

If you want to advance (and you might not, and that's okay), then you should correct these little things before they become a habit.

As to the OP -- no where does it say (that I can find) that there was also an R1; in that case I have an out whether the umpire made some incorrect ball 4 call.

And, when the coach comes out on the field, you can tell the coach to "stay back" and let the play continue; there's no need to call "time" or formally warn the coach (yet).

"My standard"/"that doesn't make it right." Nor is it necessarily wrong. There is often a disjoint between big-guy ball and little-guy ball. A faux pas at the Evans clinic may not be inappropriate with 8-10 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LRZ said:

"My standard"/"that doesn't make it right." Nor is it necessarily wrong. There is often a disjoint between big-guy ball and little-guy ball. A faux pas at the Evans clinic may not be inappropriate with 8-10 years.

Off topic again: Yes, the age and skill level sometimes changes what is appropriate. The day after postgaming my HS partner that it's the catchers job to signal/call for "balls in, 2B", I did a LL game with a new catcher with a squeaky little voice. It was my job that day to call "balls in" and actually tell the catcher to throw to 2B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agdz59 said:

You better not wear long sleeves under your short sleeved shirt. That is unforgiveable! LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

As to the OP -- no where does it say (that I can find) that there was also an R1; in that case I have an out whether the umpire made some incorrect ball 4 call.

Great catch...yes, if there is only R2 then an umpire incorrectly declaring ball four is irrelevant...R2 getting tagged out is his own fault.

25 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

You better not wear long sleeves under your short sleeved shirt. That is unforgiveable! LOL

Socks with sandals.  There's a ring in Hell dedicated to that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Where should I take it?  Home?  Can I sell it on Facebook Marketplace?

Is it really MY base?

"Obstruction"/"Interference", Verbalize "Foul" / Silent "Fair", "That's a balk!" vs "Time, that's a balk", etc - those I get.

"Take your base" / "ball 4"? Who the hell cares?  I've yet to have a smart ass ask me what I mean by "Take your base". And if they did, I'd smile and tell them to be on their way.

• Like 2