"A" Position Vicinity Play

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1061 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

I worked COVID mechanics all last year meaning I didn't work out of the A position. We've been back to traditional mechanics now for a few weeks but, I've been burned twice as U1 in two-man mechanics on the above play and I want to review the nuances to make sure I fully understand my responsibilities, movements and verbal communications.

Ok, so we have nobody on of course, and I am in A. We have a pop fly which is going to come down in the vicinity of me in A. Upon reading this ball, my first move is to drop step with my right foot such that I am still fully in foul territory but, now my shoulders are parallel to the foul line and my back is to the fence. My eyes are locked on the baseball. Next, I will want to bust into fair territory as we would for a routine pivot. While moving, my communication to my partner is, "(Umpire's name), I am inside! I am inside!" Once I have said this, I am giving up fair/foul AND catch/no-catch to PU, who should be moving up the line as their ability and the play allows to make these calls. U1 should NEVER remain in foul territory here because if we have a fair ball and B/R decides to try and advance to 2B, U1 is now out of position. Also, by staying in foul territory, U1 increases the likelihood of interfering with F3 trying to make a play and or the B/R. My question is...Once U1 has busted inside and communicated to PU, does U1 still have any and all plays at 1B as they normally would or has U1 by default fully given that call to PU, too? Obviously, now that U1 is indeed inside, he will take the runner all the way around to 3B.

Ok, your turn...how'd I do? What else am I missing here?

~Dawg

Your first reaction should be based on the actions of the defensive players. They need to gain unaltered access to wherever the play is going to occur.

I would suggest that rather than abandoning your positioning near the foul line to get inside that it would be best to remain in that vicinity, reestablish your position on the foul line, and rule on the play. In my pre-games it is established that U1 has all fair/foul calls from the front edge of 1B all the way down the line. Don't forget the priorities of catch/no catch and fair/foul. These can't be forsaken in order to stay ahead of a potential advancing BR.

By reading and reacting to the fielders, you can be on the line, give them access to make a play, and rule on whatever happens.

In this scenario PU should be busting up to read your decision on staying with the ball, not unlike a screamer to F9's left where you would be going out and he needs to be able to cover a potential at 2B and rule on the touch/no touch at 1B.

My .02.

I agree and disagree with Kevin.  The thing he mentioned that’s important is pre-game this, bc if the two of you work together, then you are covered.

I think absolutely U1 should come in on this (and NCAA mechanics require it if ball is on top of you, not sure about FED).

A veteran ump I have done many games with always says “so I can take F-F/C-NC 320 feet away down the LF line but I can’t get that ball 100 ft up the 1B line?

The key is that whomever is on the ball, the other has the plays and touches at all bases.  If you stay, you are essentially “out” and HPU should get batter touch and plays on him.  If you come in, you have touch and plays and he has C-NC-F-F

There is one runner and one ball and two umpires. As long as you aren’t both covering the same one, you are good

7 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

My eyes are locked on the baseball.

I agree with everything you say—which is standard for any infield popup—except this: the baseball isn't going to run you over, F3 will. Just as PU should watch F2 on a popup at the plate, not the ball, you should work your way inside and avoid F3 on the way.

• Like 1

@SeeingEyeDogindicated in the OP that it was a "a pop fly which is going to come down in the vicinity of me in A."

Per the 2018 CCA Manual (I don't have the 2020 pdf, but it is the same) the catch/no catch responsibility belongs to U1.

Per the 2018 CCA Manual, fair/foul is also the responsibility of U1

What am I not seeing?

Infield Catch.pdf Fair Foul Cov.pdf

@Kevin_K,I don't work CCA so, I am in no position to question their directives to their umpires. Obviously, all CCA umpires should adhere to their directives, mechanics, etc.

My question would be...If U1 is moving inside the diamond into fair territory to allow F3 freedom to make a play on the ball and or the runner without hindrance from U1...how can U1 also then adjudicate fair/foul from inside the diamond, possibly with his back to the baseball? It seems to me PU is now in the best position to make that call.

Unless perhaps it is now I who is missing something...

~Dawg

20 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Kevin_K,I don't work CCA so, I am in no position to question their directives to their umpires. Obviously, all CCA umpires should adhere to their directives, mechanics, etc.

My question would be...If U1 is moving inside the diamond into fair territory to allow F3 freedom to make a play on the ball and or the runner without hindrance from U1...how can U1 also then adjudicate fair/foul from inside the diamond, possibly with his back to the baseball? It seems to me PU is now in the best position to make that call.

Unless perhaps it is now I who is missing something...

~Dawg

NCAA has this mechanic, but it isn't published. Thus the confusion between this post and the one before it.'

If U1 comes in, PU has the ball while U1 has the runner.

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

@SeeingEyeDogindicated in the OP that it was a "a pop fly which is going to come down in the vicinity of me in A."

Per the 2018 CCA Manual (I don't have the 2020 pdf, but it is the same) the catch/no catch responsibility belongs to U1.

Per the 2018 CCA Manual, fair/foul is also the responsibility of U1

What am I not seeing?

Infield Catch.pdf 190.26 kB · 0 downloads Fair Foul Cov.pdf 188.45 kB · 4 downloads

I think the catch is more for line drives. I was taught "pop up equals pivot" from A with no one on although a pop up near A might cause you to turn around and then PU would have the runner.