Gear Whores

Shirts hmm

Never thought of that.  I have the 8 or so that I got previous to this year plus the 6 I got this year I went two powder blue, 2 black, and 2 navy each color getting 1 XL (bases) and 1 2XL(plate) 

I should really up my pants game though I really only have 2 pair of plate pants I need to get some base pants

Oh I just realized I am short on one thing..  I do NOT have a back up jock or cup. :blush2:

7 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I saw this morale patch elsewhere, but thought it was completely appropriate for some of our members.

image.png

Where did you find that? That’s going on my gear bag 

• Like 1

In terms of gear, I absolutely always have two of everything in the car, adjusted and ready for immediate use because you just never know. I'd rather pause the game for 5 minutes to run back to the car and grab the replacement then be fumbling with a malfunctioning piece of gear and worrying about it the rest of the game. I also have 3 masks at all times because, I'm always interested in mask trends and giving new masks a tryout to get a permanent slot in my bag. Pants, I have 2 each of plate and base but, probably need 1 more of each. 10 shirts consisting of 5 for the plate, 5 for the field, with 1 each size in L/S, plus my 6 HS shirts.

~Dawg

22 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

While I have two sets of everything and too many shirts, I do feel outgeared with@MadMax around.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Got to keep up with the Joneses... or the Maxes in this case.

21 hours ago, tpatience said:

Where did you find that? That’s going on my gear bag 

Sign me up for one too!

• Haha 1

I have a fairly steady stream of CPs, masks and shins parading through the garage, either being modified, tried out, or transacted to another umpire. We’ve had every CP on the market – including @Thunderheads beloved 3-piece Original Douglas! – except a Power. We even still have a Cooper UMP Air30!! 

Pants, shirts and hats have to get rotated and replaced often because the Arizona sun just punishes them. Most of us eschew any sense of style on tournament / local league / adult league games, preferring to wear the most faded, beat-up set of pants in our inventories. Ya keep your new, unblemished, bold-colored uniforms for varsity HS games, college games, elite tournament stuff, Minor League events, that sort of thing. Don’t let @KenBAZ fool ya, he’s got just as many shirts and sets of pants as I do! 

Plate shoes get trashed here. My first pair of plate shoes were purchased in 2012, and lasted 4 whole years until I arrived here in Phoenix in 2016. Since then, I’ve had to get a new pair every year! Base shoes are an entirely different experience – I have no less than 4 pairs at any one time. I’m usually seeking out my next “best” pair, to be used in big-game venues, usually at night. In daylight games, if you’re wearing a glossy, polished leather shoe on the bases, you’re crazy. You want fabric shoes, the lighter and more airy the better. My most beat-up-but-still-wearable shoes get used on 6-game Saturdays... on dusty, hot, sun-drenched fields (Cactus Yards! Victory Lane! Pioneer Park!... I could go on, there’s lots more) where you shake out enough dust at the end to fill a flower pot. Colleagues will tell you, “Coaches notice your (clean) shoes.” Not here. Not in Phoenix. No one cares, because when we’re at the plate meeting for game #5 of 6 on a Saturday (and the teams are on game #2 or 3), everyone is suffering. 

Mask-wise, I have 5 in my active rotation, but always travel with at least 2 or 3. I typically have loose sets of pads (All-Star LUCs or Honig’s leathers) with me, eager to swoop in and save a fellow umpire from certain concussive doom because he’s using pathetic (read: Diamond DFM-UMP) or wore out pads. If I’m headed to a multi-field venue, I bring additional masks to sell. None of my masks are unsellable. Not only do I bring additional masks for redundancy (what if my primary breaks, alá Bismarck in 2020?), but if my scheduled partner loses / forgets / breaks his mask, there’s no way I’m going on plate in his stead; he can just use one of my spares. 

I carry a Square Reader (card swiper) everywhere I go, and also take PayPal, Venmo, and a slew of other payment apps. 

I also lug around a complete cleaning kit, rudimentary tools (pliers, scissors, knives, drivers), 3 different kinds of tape, spare belts (always keep a spare belt that is universally sized!), shoelaces, and velcro straps. And painkillers (ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, lidocaine and aloe Vera)... plenty of them. 

My load got significantly lighter when I moved to a state that isn’t stubbornly arcane, and no longer uses navy. :fuel:

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

I have a fairly steady stream of CPs, masks and shins parading through the garage, either being modified, tried out, or transacted to another umpire. We’ve had every CP on the market – including @Thunderheads beloved 3-piece Original Douglas! – except a Power. We even still have a Cooper UMP Air30!! 

Pants, shirts and hats have to get rotated and replaced often because the Arizona sun just punishes them. Most of us eschew any sense of style on tournament / local league / adult league games, preferring to wear the most faded, beat-up set of pants in our inventories. Ya keep your new, unblemished, bold-colored uniforms for varsity HS games, college games, elite tournament stuff, Minor League events, that sort of thing. Don’t let @KenBAZ fool ya, he’s got just as many shirts and sets of pants as I do! 

Plate shoes get trashed here. My first pair of plate shoes were purchased in 2012, and lasted 4 whole years until I arrived here in Phoenix in 2016. Since then, I’ve had to get a new pair every year! Base shoes are an entirely different experience – I have no less than 4 pairs at any one time. I’m usually seeking out my next “best” pair, to be used in big-game venues, usually at night. In daylight games, if you’re wearing a glossy, polished leather shoe on the bases, you’re crazy. You want fabric shoes, the lighter and more airy the better. My most beat-up-but-still-wearable shoes get used on 6-game Saturdays... on dusty, hot, sun-drenched fields (Cactus Yards! Victory Lane! Pioneer Park!... I could go on, there’s lots more) where you shake out enough dust at the end to fill a flower pot. Colleagues will tell you, “Coaches notice your (clean) shoes.” Not here. Not in Phoenix. No one cares, because when we’re at the plate meeting for game #5 of 6 on a Saturday (and the teams are on game #2 or 3), everyone is suffering. 

Mask-wise, I have 5 in my active rotation, but always travel with at least 2 or 3. I typically have loose sets of pads (All-Star LUCs or Honig’s leathers) with me, eager to swoop in and save a fellow umpire from certain concussive doom because he’s using pathetic (read: Diamond DFM-UMP) or wore out pads. If I’m headed to a multi-field venue, I bring additional masks to sell. None of my masks are unsellable. Not only do I bring additional masks for redundancy (what if my primary breaks, alá Bismarck in 2020?), but if my scheduled partner loses / forgets / breaks his mask, there’s no way I’m going on plate in his stead; he can just use one of my spares. 

I carry a Square Reader (card swiper) everywhere I go, and also take PayPal, Venmo, and a slew of other payment apps. 

I also lug around a complete cleaning kit, rudimentary tools (pliers, scissors, knives, drivers), 3 different kinds of tape, spare belts (always keep a spare belt that is universally sized!), shoelaces, and velcro straps. And painkillers (ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, lidocaine and aloe Vera)... plenty of them. 

My load got significantly lighter when I moved to a state that isn’t stubbornly arcane, and no longer uses navy. :fuel:

I'm guessing your mode of transport is via tractor trailer?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scissors said:

I'm guessing your mode of transport is via tractor trailer?

Surprisingly not! 

I actually drive a grey Mini Countryman ALL4. It’s my third one in 9 years.

• Like 1

Any long time umpire forum folks will remember this especially ABUA members back 15 years ago………

TIM C.'s list.....

1 Gerry Davis Fiber Case

1 Wilson MLB Rolling Case

1 Carlucci Garment Bag

1 NIKE Carry Bag (W/shoe care kits, Bag of shoestrings, bandaids, shin guard clips, pliers, scissors, etc.)

3 West Vest Masks (1 navy, 1 black and 1 royal blue) Each in own bag

1 Carlucci Chest Protector (Royal Blue)

1 Original West Vest Chest Protector (back-up)

1 Pair of Carlucci Leg Guards (Royal Blue)

1 Pair of NIKE Low Top Plate Shoes (in carry bags w/shoe trees)

1 Pair of Mizuno Base Shoes (in carry bags w/shoe trees)

1 Pair of Spotbuilt Combo Plate/Base Shoes (in carry bags w/shoe trees)

6 Pair of Davis Ultimate Sox

6 Pair of Black Socks

2 Cap Carriers

6 Hats (3 Black & 3 Navy -- 2 with combo bill, 2 with seven stitch bill)

4 Pair of McDavid Undergarments (all gray 2 bicycle length 2 full length)

3 Protective Cups (one banana for the plate - two regular cups)

2 Black Belts

2 Rubber (hold-in-place) belts

2 Honigs Plate Pants (one w/ pleats, one without pleats) Heather Grey

2 Honigs Base Pants (one w/ pleats, one without pleats) Heather Grey

2 Honigs Plate Pants (one w/ pleats, one without pleats) Charcoal

2 Honigs Base Pants (one w/ pleats, one without pleats) Charcoal

2 McDavid Short Sleeve Undershirts Crème

2 McDavid Short Sleeve Undershirts Black

4 McDavid Short Sleeve Undershirts Navy

4 McDavid Short Sleeve Undershirts Red

2 McDavid Long Sleeve Undershirts Navy 

2 McDavid Long Sleeve Undershirts Red

1 Long Sleeved Turtle Neck - Navy

1 Long Sleeved Turtle Neck - Red

2 Honig's Plate Shirts Navy

2 Honig's Plate Shirts Crème

2 Honig's Plate Shirts Black

2 Honig's Plate Shirts Light Blue

2 Honig's Base Shirts Navy

2 Honig's Base Shirts Light blue

2 Honig's Base Shirts Crème

1 Honig's Base Shirts Black 

1 Mizuno Gray windbreaker undergarment

1 Feecheimer Navy Plate Coat

1 Feecheimer Black Plate Coat 

1 Butwing Navy Base Pullover

1 Logo Athletic Navy Pull Over

1 Hongis's Black (w/white piping) Base Pull Over

1 Honigs Black Pullover Short Sleeve

1 Honigs Navy Pullover Short Sleeve

8 Stainless Steel Indicators (4 ball - 3 Strike)

6 Wood Handled Plate Brushes

2 Pair +POS Cold Weather Gloves

12 Sharpies (Fine Point) 6 Red and 6 Black

1 Pair Bolle Sunglasses (interchangable lenses)

6 Pair of contact Lenses (w/solutions etc.)

1 Hongis Dry Erase Board (w/ markers)

1 Timepiece ( hangs from belt loop under ball bag)

1 Directors Chair

1 Foot Carpet

1 Pair of NIKE Flip Flops

2 Shoe Horns

1 Set of Federation Rule books, Case Books, etc

1 OBR Rule Book

1 OAOA Umpire Manual for a Two Umpire Crew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember him listing that off and being totally blown away!

I got to meet him my first year here in the Portland area. Unfortunately it was also his last year on the field and he didn't return to mentor the next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I remember him listing that off and being totally blown away!

I got to meet him my first year here in the Portland area. Unfortunately it was also his last year on the field and he didn't return to mentor the next season.

I was active on the ABUA (umpire.org) and Officiating.com (The Officials Forum) 15-20 years ago when there were a great group of guys active including Tee.  I got the sense he was satisfied with his career and once hanging it up was more than content to look forward.  Those old forums were a gold mine for any umpire who wanted to learn and discuss the nuances of umpiring.

2 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

I was active on the ABUA (umpire.org) and Officiating.com (The Officials Forum) 15-20 years ago when there were a great group of guys active including Tee.  I got the sense he was satisfied with his career and once hanging it up was more than content to look forward.  Those old forums were a gold mine for any umpire who wanted to learn and discuss the nuances of umpiring.

I was super active on ABUA in my young days. It split my time between there and hear, and I definitely got an education of how to be on and off the field. I miss those times. Especially with the advent of Facebook umpire forums where it is difficult to parse out good info from bad.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 11:07 PM, BT_Blue said:

I was super active on ABUA in my young days. It split my time between there and hear, and I definitely got an education of how to be on and off the field. I miss those times. Especially with the advent of Facebook umpire forums where it is difficult to parse out good info from bad.

They were great and the veterans sniffed out the idiots.  There was a small private forum created off of the Officiating.com baseball forum that flourished for a bit.  It was created in response to trolls and other knuckleheads “diluting” the main forum.  I recall Tee and Garth B as some of the best contributors.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, FranklinT said:

They were great and the veterans sniffed out the idiots.  There was a small private forum created off of the Officiating.com baseball forum that flourished for a bit.  It was created in response to trolls and other knuckleheads “diluting” the main forum.  I recall Tee and Garth B as some of the best contributors.

Officiating.com was a bit before my time. I started my forums time during the heyday of ABUA and umpire.org.

Now that you mention Garth, I wonder if that might have been Garth Benham, formally of Spokane, WA? It would make sense if it was.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Officiating.com was a bit before my time. I started my forums time during the heyday of ABUA and umpire.org.

Now that you mention Garth, I wonder if that might have been Garth Benham, formally of Spokane, WA? It would make sense if it was.

Yep!

• Like 2