Emphatic Nod to Support Partners Call?

Son’s HS Varsity game tonight. Infield ground ball, F3 stretches into splits so foot coming off bag is a possibility. BU calls him out. PU gives a couple clear nods to show his agreement. I see the benefit (killed any chirping or discussion) but also sets a precedent - what about next time he doesn’t nod?

Thoughts?

I think you'd want to pre-game something a little less obvious. But, overall...I'm not a fan of this mechanic. It would absolutely set a dangerous precedent.

For 2-man with nobody on and U1 in A...let these plays happen and let U1 make the call. If there's a pulled foot, swipe tag or running lane violation...let the coach come out to U1, ask U1 to ask for help and have U1 bring it to PU. Conference quickly...and finalize the call.

With good angle, distance, timing and mechanics...many times the call of the play in this scenario will simply stand on its own merit and everyone moves on.

An exception not related to this scenario would be dropped third strike and U1 gives PU either a closed fist down at his side for a catch or an open hand down at his side for no catch. It's done discreetly and no one is looking at U1 there.

~Dawg

On 5/21/2021 at 4:05 PM, aaluck said:

Normally I would avoid this. I usually just turn around quickly and get back to my position, regardless of what I think about the call.

Completely agree here! Not my job to visibly affirm or deny partner's call!

The absence of a nod means nothing.  Shaking your head on the other hand ... 😉

I was brought up with a hand signal that is used to give a "good job" affirmation -- particularly when working with newer umpires.  It is not a affirmation of the call though.  I never give it until the next play lest somebody should think that.

I was told never talk to or do anything with another base ump at least until an inning later or after the game.   In between innings if its hot we may congregate getting a water from a cooler.  but during the playoffs we are told stay apart and do not get together on anything unless the PU asks for us to get together.

We also are told do not affirm and or give any other sign of agreement or disagreement with the call that was made

• Like 1

not sure why nobody wants to adobt this at pregame.  Sometimes you can see why a pitcher might be frustrated and voices that a plate doesnt here.  We miss strikes.  Why cant we come up with our own signs (almost like a base umpire) to help eachother out.   I do nod at the plate when its a close play at first as plate, or when it WAS a strike as Base.  As if anyone is looking at me as if my partner is wrong, it lets them know we are in agreement.   For the opposite if there is a mistake.  That Ill talk with partner after the next inning.   To right or loose of a strike zone, i might tell my partner, depending on if i know he cares, or wants to know my "opinion"  again, plate sees it better, most of the time, and can see batters natural stance better then base