Possession

Guest Frank
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1051 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Frank

I had a force play at home plate. The catcher caught the ball between her arm and her body so the ball isn’t in her glove or in her hand. Is the runner still out?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I think on a force the 1st baseman is allowed to tag the base with any part of his body, foot, knee, other hand once in possession of the ball.  On a force to the bag.  Tagging on a non force on the player it had to be with the ball.

From ll rules def.

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with the body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with the hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove.

I would question control of the ball being held between arm and body though

43 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I think on a force the 1st baseman is allowed to tag the base with any part of his body, foot, knee, other hand once in possession of the ball.  On a force to the bag.  Tagging on a non force on the player it had to be with the ball.

From ll rules def.

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with the body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with the hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove.

I would question control of the ball being held between arm and body though

You are correct. The question regards the ball's position, not what was touching the plate.

Since the OP used the pronoun her I am guessing that we are talking about softball. Here’s the current FED definition of the term catch--

2020 NFHS softball rule 2

SECTION 9 CATCH

ART. 1 . . . A catch is the act of a fielder who, with her hand(s) and/or glove/mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched or thrown ball.

ART. 6 . . . A ball prevented from hitting the ground by a player's equipment (providing it is in its proper place) or body shall not be ruled caught until the ball is securely held in the player's hand(s) or glove/mitt.

8 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Since the OP used the pronoun her I am guessing that we are talking about softball. Here’s the current FED definition of the term catch--

And before the Usual Suspects get up in arms, this statement is not one of stereotyping or prejudice...it is simply a deduction based on math.   We know girls play baseball.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

And before the Usual Suspects get up in arms, this statement is not one of stereotyping or prejudice...it is simply a deduction based on math.   We know girls play baseball.

Yes they do - I've seen several at the 11U and 12U level and they are every bit the players the boys are.