I heart plate coats

MattKirky

Now I've seen the few posts here about plate coats and everyone's options on them, etc., and let me just say, I LOVE mine. I purchased the 1.0 version from OutWest Officials pre-covid before last season since I live/work in Upstate NY and figured with how cold it gets during spring/fall season could get some good use out of one. Well let me tell you, I was finally able to wear mine last night during a 50° JV game and the comments I got from fellow umpires, coaches, and players were extremely positive, just added an extreme confidence for me in my game. It's become extremely useful since we're back calling balls and strikes from behind the plate but cannot handle baseballs whatsoever so instead of having to put on and look odd with two ball bags (as I always wear) to looking natural with them as part of the coat. Plus it kept me warm with only a short sleeve shirt on underneath (big plus).

That's just my two cents and ramblings

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

On 5/6/2021 at 6:04 PM, MattKirky said:

Now I've seen the few posts here about plate coats and everyone's options on them, etc., and let me just say, I LOVE mine. I purchased the 1.0 version from OutWest Officials pre-covid before last season since I live/work in Upstate NY and figured with how cold it gets during spring/fall season could get some good use out of one. Well let me tell you, I was finally able to wear mine last night during a 50° JV game and the comments I got from fellow umpires, coaches, and players were extremely positive, just added an extreme confidence for me in my game. It's become extremely useful since we're back calling balls and strikes from behind the plate but cannot handle baseballs whatsoever so instead of having to put on and look odd with two ball bags (as I always wear) to looking natural with them as part of the coat. Plus it kept me warm with only a short sleeve shirt on underneath (big plus).

That's just my two cents and ramblings emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Plate Coats will not make you a better umpire--but it does make you LOOK GOOD!!!

8 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I couldnt help but [notice] Ted Barrett is sporting a three button plate coat.

If you were to stand next to Ted Barrett, and then factor in he wears a bespoke Carlucci... 

... the third button on that plate coat is necessary. 

And unless it's 80º+ at 7:00pm in Minnesota, about 3 weeks from now, I will be wearing my WakeWear Plate Coat on Opening Night*. :yippie:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

What chest protector is Barrett wearing?

~Dawg

A Carlucci. They were custom made by Mr Carlucci for each person. You went to a tailor and sent him the measurements. The holy grail of CP's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Biscuit said:

A Carlucci. They were custom made by Mr Carlucci for each person. You went to a tailor and sent him the measurements. The holy grail of CP's.

Or even better... find ourself in the middle of BFE SoCal (Windsor) and get the measurements straight from Cece.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

see if he is interested in selling his retired chest protector

Tim Tschida wearing a Nike Icon Ti with Honig's leather pads, and a Carlucci CP.

17 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

maybe someone can call this retired umpire and see if he is interested in selling his retired chest protector

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/major-league-umpire-tim-tschida-points-into-the-chicago-news-photo/91500401?adppopup=true

I've had thoughts of pestering Dale Scott for some of his stuff. Maybe one of his red shirts! Lol

I never would! But the thought crossed my mind.

• 2 weeks later...