Tagging Up Question

Guest arapheon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1056 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest arapheon

Hello,

I am sure this has been asked, but it's impossible to search for this situation. 

Runner on first (or any?) base and no outs. Batter hits a deep fly ball and the whole defensive team watches thinking it's going out. Outfielder makes a great catch, batter is out. The runner stays at the bag, planning to tag up, but leaves too early. Not a single person on defense notices. Runner is at second, ball gets returned to the pitcher. There is no appeal, but the umpire knows the runner left early. 

Does this fall under some blanket rule where if there is no appeal then nothing happens?  It is hard for me to imagine an umpire just allowing play to continue when they know the runner left too early. 

10 answers to this question

This is an appeal play, so unless the defense properly appeals it, the umpire would indeed do nothing. Shame on the defense for not paying attention.

The only exception I know is in the state of SC for HS games, where they have kept the old (as in decades-old) rule of calling it automatically without appeal. 

53 minutes ago, Guest arapheon said:

It is hard for me to imagine an umpire just allowing play to continue when they know the runner left too early. 

It's hard for me to imagine how the defense can miss the runner leaving early/missing bases, but it happens all the time. 

I had a kid that was awarded third base on an overthrow and he ran right through the second base cutout. Didn't come within 3 feet of the base and the second baseman was looking right at him. No appeal :shakehead:

1 hour ago, Guest arapheon said:

Does this fall under some blanket rule where if there is no appeal then nothing happens?  It is hard for me to imagine an umpire just allowing play to continue when they know the runner left too early. 

The blanket rule is that if the defense doesn't care if the offense doesn't run the bases correctly, then the umpires don't care.

Guest arapheon

Thanks everyone. 

I love this quote

52 minutes ago, noumpere said:

The blanket rule is that if the defense doesn't care if the offense doesn't run the bases correctly, then the umpires don't care.

:

12 hours ago, Guest arapheon said:

Thanks everyone. 

I love this quote

I believe that the reason people 'miss' a missed bag is usually everyone is watching the action of the ball and assuming that the baserunners are tagging the bases. I cannot tell you how many times I see kids (of all ages) missing bags by A LOT and no one notices because they are looking at the ball.

Now as levels of baseball move up there are folks assigned to look just for that. One of your local HS coaches has bench players responsible for watching bases--great idea--and he has had more successful appeals than anyone else I know of.

Funny story...my son is a catcher, and a batter for the opposing team hit a home run.  I can't remember if there were other runners on or not.  Game was being umpired by a solo umpire.  Always a tough job and can never expect a solo umpire to see everything.

But after the home run, the umpire was still standing out near the mound, kind of where you would set up to make a call at first on a grounder.  To his credit, he left the plate area and traveled 50-60 feet to get a better view of the catch/no-catch/HR or not, but he didn't come back.

My son swears the batter missed home plate.  I of course didn't see it as a fan on the sidelines but he appealed and the umpire said to him (this I did hear), "I am working alone, I can't see everything son" and my smart-aleck son replied "it was a home run, what else do you have to watch by the time the batter gets home??"

He wasn't wrong, and it was kind of funny, and it didn't lead to anything, obviously nothing is being overturned because he said it happened, but I thought that was pretty savvy for a kid who doesn't umpire!

6 hours ago, aaluck said:

Now as levels of baseball move up there are folks assigned to look just for that. One of your local HS coaches has bench players responsible for watching bases--great idea--and he has had more successful appeals than anyone else I know of.

This is the one thing I would tell every travel ball coach in the tournaments I do on a regular basis.  So many perfectly good outs left on the field.  It's a shame really.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, Guest arapheon said:

It is hard for me to imagine an umpire just allowing play to continue when they know the runner left too early. 

Put it this way...if the umpire is going to call runners out for leaving early or missing bases anyway, what's the point of having appeals?