is this considered obstruction by the catcher?

Guest david
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1056 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest david

So a runner was stealing 2nd base and as that was happening the runner from 3b was heading to hp. Does the catcher have the right to block the entire hp from the runner trying to score. I would like some clarity for this 14u game and on the rule. 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Guest david said:

So a runner was stealing 2nd base and as that was happening the runner from 3b was heading to hp. Does the catcher have the right to block the entire hp from the runner trying to score. I would like some clarity for this 14u game and on the rule. 

If the catcher is in possession of the ball he can sit on home plate if he wants

33 minutes ago, Guest david said:

IF the catcher has possession of the ball, yes, all codes. IF not, then that's a different story.  IF a fielder denies access to a base without the ball, it is mostly ruled OBS.

30 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

OP? Ok, it's 14U...but, can you tell us the rule set, please? High school rules? LL juniors or seniors? Pro rules?

This situation is ruled on very differently depending on the rule set.

~Dawg

If the catcher has the ball I'm not sure this statement is true.

There are slight variances if he doesn't have the ball, around whether or not "in the act" is relevant...but I think if he's in possession all codes are the same, no?

Making the assumption in OP that F2 just received the pitch and held onto it...but if he threw to second, and is now waiting for the throw back, then we have some questions.

Guest david
13 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@beerguy55 is correct. I mis-read the OP's question and presumed F2 threw down on R1. OP, if you have any more information regarding F2's throw or hold, we might possibly have other answers...

~Dawg

So basically let me set this up again...runners on 1st and 3rd, runner breaks from 1st and steals 2nd base as that happens runner frim 3rd comes home......ss had ball in his glove, catcher was already standing and blocking the plate without the ball....runner came down and had nowhere to go....and slide into him.....he was right in the batters box to be correct....a umpire friend told me last night thats obstruction, catcher cant sit there without the ball they must be outside or inside the lines but not directly in front of the home plate

15 minutes ago, Guest david said:

So basically let me set this up again...runners on 1st and 3rd, runner breaks from 1st and steals 2nd base as that happens runner frim 3rd comes home......ss had ball in his glove, catcher was already standing and blocking the plate without the ball....runner came down and had nowhere to go....and slide into him.....he was right in the batters box to be correct....a umpire friend told me last night thats obstruction, catcher cant sit there without the ball they must be outside or inside the lines but not directly in front of the home plate

that sounds correct to me ........

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Guest david said:

this is the way....

From this description the catcher never had the ball, so why didn't R3 score?

Or did R3 slide into F2, come up short of the plate as F2 was receiving the ball, and was tagged out? That would depend on the umpires judgement as to whether the catcher had the ball before the runner reached him.