Williamsport says yes to 2021 LLWS

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1078 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

PennLive: Little League World Series to hold championships but will ban public, international players.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2021/05/little-league-world-series-to-involve-only-us-teams-for-baseball-softball-championships.html

So, with no international teams perhaps they should drop the word WORLD from the name of the event...

~Dawg

I have a couple friends who were slated for regionals in other than the 12u bracket... they are being pushed to next year, at least at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

I have a couple friends who were slated for regionals in other than the 12u bracket... they are being pushed to next year, at least at this point. 

I have a friend who was scheduled for last year, then this year and he was given the option and he chose to opt to next year.

My understanding is they will probably use locals whom have already done Williamsport or guys who are local that want that chance, but I wonder if they will allow them back as there is so much less of a production out of it all. 

I would hope so.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

PennLive: Little League World Series to hold championships but will ban public, international players.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2021/05/little-league-world-series-to-involve-only-us-teams-for-baseball-softball-championships.html

So, with no international teams perhaps they should drop the word WORLD from the name of the event...

~Dawg

Why - MLB plays the "World" Series every year...sometimes with teams in the same city....Hell, for the first 60+ years of World Series play there were only US teams in the entire league.   When the World Series was named (for a playoff between Boston and Pittsburgh) there were no MLB teams west of the Mississippi (OK, two teams were ON the Mississippi).

Also - the first five LLWS did not have international teams.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Why - MLB plays the "World" Series every year...sometimes with teams in the same city....Hell, for the first 60+ years of World Series play there were only US teams in the entire league.   When the World Series was named (for a playoff between Boston and Pittsburgh) there were no MLB teams west of the Mississippi (OK, two teams were ON the Mississippi).

That's easy ........ LL has been 'worldwide' for quite a long time, yes? (Sorry, I don't have the stats) .... whereas, MLB, not so much;)

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Repectfully, in my judgement, nothing should be called a "World Series" which does not include teams from more than two countries. Of course not every country would be interested in fielding a baseball team. For what it's worth the DR and Japan have both won the correctly named WBC. 

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

~Dawg

Various leagues have tried to send me to the umpire clinic- but I told them all no.

There are a few reasons why.

1. It does not make sense for me to take off work.  

2. I feel that the umpires that work the regionals and LLWS should be paid for the games they umpire there, and should be reimbursed for their travel cost. 

3. I disagree with them televising games with kids that are 12-13 years old. When the LLWS is being played in August, most of those kids are missing the start of school, and delaying their arrival in fall sports.  I am of the belief that the best athletes play at least 2 sports.  Putting a crying child on TV because they just lost a championship game is not a good look IMO.

4. With the revenue that Little League brings in on a yearly basis, and the $2,000,000 per year television contract with ESPN that they have- the incessant mentioning of the "volunteerism" is not a good look.