Offer up top tips of things to help new umpires

So got assigned a game and probably will have more with 2 new umpires

1 is honestly really into it and seems to be eager to learn

the other seems to be ahem very teen millennial whom does not seem to care to be there. 

guy one yesterday was behind the plate  He had using the slot down pretty well. His "technique" is young and well needs some slight adjustment

My top things were for him

consistency with your strike zone.  If you miss one here or there dont let it blow your zone. set it and keep it there and dont worry about recognizing you missed one. It happens to us all.

timing.. timing timing..  see the pitch is it a ball or strike, did the batter swing. then make the call.

He had a ball in the 2nd inning that skipped in nearly off the grass and he called ball as it was hitting the catchers mitt.  I talked to him about timing right after that as I said what if the batter swung a little late at it?  you just said ball but he swung right?  He got it.  Very next inning that very thing happened and he made the right call "strike" ( It was total proud parent moment right there for me LOL) He even noted it to me next break. "Did you see that, I almost said ball and then the kid swung. So glad you mentioned that to me"  Yup I think that will stick with him for the rest of his umping days 😁

The other thing I stressed was " make the right call"  it does not matter if it takes a second or two later make sure you got it right. 

Aside from reading the rule book ( I showed them the LL app which is great)  anything else that you guys/gals can think of for a new umpire?

As for Guy2  It took me 3 innings of poking proding instruction on moving and getting the correct angle ( or the best angle he could get ) before he actually started to move from his spot at 3rd

We the DA and I want to get him to do a plate but he does not seem too enthused about it.

Anything for this guy?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guy 1 sounds like a solid platform to build on. Guy 2 , well, you may need to have the tough talk.  Look, if you don't want to be here, you don't have to be.  But if you are going to be here, par

As a money making opportunity for my son for the next month, he is doing local leagues and local tournaments.   I stressed to him to hustle and do his best because all of the parents paid good money t

With Juniors: Make sure they know you have their back. I do not let coaches one on one with minors. I am always in ear shot to make sure there is decorum and no attempt to influence or intimid

Guy 1 sounds like a solid platform to build on.

Guy 2 , well, you may need to have the tough talk.  Look, if you don't want to be here, you don't have to be.  But if you are going to be here, participation is required.

I am assuming LL or some other youth type rec ball.  With that said, they need to understand that this could be the most important play/moment/game in that player has ever had, and we need to make sure we get the call correct.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Guy 2 , well, you may need to have the tough talk.  Look, if you don't want to be here, you don't have to be.  But if you are going to be here, participation is required.

I am assuming LL or some other youth type rec ball.  With that said, they need to understand that this could be the most important play/moment/game in that player has ever had, and we need to make sure we get the call correct.

As a money making opportunity for my son for the next month, he is doing local leagues and local tournaments.   I stressed to him to hustle and do his best because all of the parents paid good money to be in the tournament and they don't want to see an umpire being a snot nosed kid just going through the half assed motions.  They probably see that enough on their own teams.  Not that he needed the talk, but, he understood. Just a different perspective...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

LL is correct minors and majors so 8-10 and 10-12

To Guy 2: "When you played, didn't you appreciate umpires who hustled and had good game management? This level is no different: hustle, learn what to do and how to do it right, because these kids deserve that. Not only will the players benefit, but you will have more fun, I can guarantee that."

Are Guy 1 and Guy 2 friends? If so, you might ask #1 to encourage #2.

Umpiring at ANY level is simply not a career, job or paid hobby that one should spend their time doing if they are unable or unwilling to give their best. It's one thing to miss a rotation at third (and the subsequent play) because you're new and forgot. That's part of how some of this is learned..."Oh! That was terrible! I don't EVER want to experience a missed rotation ever again!"

It's another thing to "miss" a rotation because you're disinterested or don't care enough about the game to learn proper mechanics and get in position.

Also, the first ability...is availability. You could be the next Bill Klem. But, if you have too many other things going on to accept slots...nobody cares.

~Dawg

14 hours ago, LRZ said:

To Guy 2: "When you played, didn't you appreciate umpires who hustled and had good game management? This level is no different: hustle, learn what to do and how to do it right, because these kids deserve that. Not only will the players benefit, but you will have more fun, I can guarantee that."

Are Guy 1 and Guy 2 friends? If so, you might ask #1 to encourage #2.

They did appear to be friends yes

I will, I had that thought, but was not able to "pull him aside"

With Juniors:

• Make sure they know you have their back. I do not let coaches one on one with minors. I am always in ear shot to make sure there is decorum and no attempt to influence or intimidate using voice or body language.
  • Kids respond much better to positives than negatives. Try and give 2-3 positives for every negative. Even mature kids respond well to this

Beyond that, keep working with them, especially the first one who is into it. The second one, as already mentioned, he needs to decide if he really wants to be there. If so, then there should be an immediate improvement in attitude. If not, then tell him thanks for your service and we will call you the next time we need someone one. Promptly lose his number by accident :wow:

• Like 1