Um, well...you see...uhh, I, uhh....

I'm not gonna defend that in ANY way, because it can't be.  But let me share a few random points out there to address different issues.  (I haven't been in Texas but three years, and I'm not remotely softball, so some of this *might* be wrong, but into the breech....)

-- There aren't protests in Texas.  At least not in baseball, so I'd guess/assume it's the same in SB.

-- For the numerous "how are these guys doing championship' games  (And/or "playoff"?)???" queries:  given that this just happened, that was likely a first-round playoff game/series.  Baseball starts the first round this week, so that would be about right.  From what I can tell, there are about 100 BILLION teams that make the first round here.  I feel like I'm only slightly exaggerating, given the records of some of the teams in the BB first round.  And I can say that our chapter has already said it's 'all hands on deck' for round one, at least, due to the sheer numbers.  Also, teams can apparently request "outside" chapters do their playoff games, so that can create body-count demands as well.

And again, not saying a word about the play.  Not least of which because MY first-round series starts tonight, and karma, as they say, is a bitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is ALSO why the armchair umpires go online and bash umpires, lumping us all together.

Well if its like these schools in Alabama enter the site location do you'll end up in a pasture 15 miles from the school.

Who cares what level this is. This is embarrassing. How in the heck did all three geniuses not correct this situation?   This is basic. And to those of you who are new umpires, this is why w

According to the article I read, this was the Bi-District championship games between two El Paso schools. The El Paso Softball Umpires Association did not respond to a request for comment.

I *think* "Bi-district championship game" is a fancy way of saying "Second round matchup."

Four teams per district make the playoffs - which is weird, especially when it's a 4-team district.  Then there's some cross-district, where teams from your district cross-over and play some other district.  (I have ZERO idea how that's determined.)  So even my first-round series tonight is a "bi-district" round.  Although, now that I'm thinking it out, with the math and all, I guess that means there *might* be a third-round, to get a champion from that bi-district match-up .... 8 down to 4 down to 2 down to 1.

Hell, I don't know, man;  I'm just going where Arbiter sends me.  I just wanted to point out that this series was likely early-on in the process, and between the sheer number of matchups, and the universal need everywhere for umpires, you might not be seeing A-listers.

1 hour ago, HokieUmp said:

Hell, I don't know, man;  I'm just going where Arbiter sends me.

Well if its like these schools in Alabama enter the site location do you'll end up in a pasture 15 miles from the school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, LRZ said:

And, while all the (in)action was going on, an Isleta player hands U2 a second softball a fan apparently returned to the field, rightfully thinking play was dead.

Because I have no words for that fiasco, let me ask a tangent question for fun ...

Am I an oddball because I will NOT touch a ball as a BU?  If somebody tries to hand or toss me one, I point them towards the plate.  I'm not taking it, I'm not holding it, and I'm not throwing it in for you.  The only way I might is between innings and for some reason I am headed towards home plate (which I try not to do, but some tournaments have the BU keeping score and checking with books between innings).

15 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Because I have no words for that fiasco, let me ask a tangent question for fun ...

Am I an oddball because I will NOT touch a ball as a BU?  If somebody tries to hand or toss me one, I point them towards the plate.  I'm not taking it, I'm not holding it, and I'm not throwing it in for you.  The only way I might is between innings and for some reason I am headed towards home plate (which I try not to do, but some tournaments have the BU keeping score and checking with books between innings).

You aren't an oddball.  While I don't personally have some motto to avoid the ball at all costs, I can probably count on two fingers the number of times I handled a ball when I was BU.  Once I remember I was in A and a foul ball was smoked off the fence foul by 1B and bounced right to me, I picked it up and tossed it towards the on-deck hitter to take to HPU next at-bat, and another a SS ended an inning with a diving snag, and flipped it to me as he celebrated...I just turned and rolled it towards the mound.  

Again, I don't go out of my way to avoid a ball, but there rarely is a reason to handle the ball as BU

8 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@The Man in Blue, I'm with you brother! We must have at LEAST a SHRED of plausible deniability at all times.

"No, I have no idea why there are two baseballs on the field during a live ball situation. As a BU, I do not handle baseballs. Yes, I will confer with my crew..."

#NotMeMan

~Dawg

At which point I yell "It's like pinball coach!  Play it!"  🤪

• Haha 1