cancelled games

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1023 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So not counting Covid.

What is your largest string of cancelled games?

At the moment I am up to 3 in a row due to weather.

I’ve had 21 NCAA games cancelled this year (18 past, 3 still in the future), where my buddies have had 1 DH total cancelled.  It’s frustrating but what you are you gonna do? 🤷‍♂️ 

3 single games and 9 DHs lost.  5 total games (1 single and 2 DH) were to rain or cold.  3 games were for who knows what (not weather or covid), and 15 due to Covid on one of the teams 

9 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So not counting Covid.

Does losing a 4-game series here in sunny Arizona, because the California-based college making the trip would have to foot the bill to perform mandatory testing prior to leaving the state and after returning, count as COVID-related? 

Or do we chalk it up to absurdity?

Anyway... 

Two years ago, my crew lost a three-game series in Kalamazoo, MI due to the ball field being... underwater. Not only did rainfall postpone the last game of the series prior to our arrival, but it rained so much that it threatened to flood Kalamazoo’s downtown, prompting city officials to open the dam, releasing all that pent up water onto the marsh and floodplain downstream... which is where the stadium is situated. 

My crew spent the next two days in Kalamazoo catching up on laundry and sleep. 

Photos will be added once I get home and reduce their file size. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three or four years ago, central OH was miserably cold and rainy/snowy in late March to damn near late April. I think I lost 4 out of the first 6 games of the season, along with all 5 scheduled scrimmages I had that year.

• 1 month later...

Since early March, I have had 8 games cancelled and upon further review, I have also had 5 rain-shortened full fee games over that stretch and 1 full fee game I didn't have to work because the coaches failed to notify my assignor that they cancelled the game. Additionally, I've had 6 double-headers that were changed to single games on game day. And finally, 9 games featuring at least one partner change and 7 games featuring two or more partner changes. Assignors have my utmost respect. I don't know how that work was ever done efficiently prior to the Internet.

~Dawg

June 8th was the 8th day of our American Legion season.  All eight days so far have been washed out.  We're stuck with tropical moisture being pumped into our state from the Gulf.  Every afternoon is storms.  Heck, 10-miles down the street from my office, the finals of the Columbia regional between Virginia and Old Dominion got rained out on Monday night.  They played at 10 a.m. on Tuesday hoping to beat the afternoon storms.  Its a good thing they played that early because it freaking poured starting mid-afternoon.  

1 hour ago, lawump said:

June 8th was the 8th day of our American Legion season.  All eight days so far have been washed out.  We're stuck with tropical moisture being pumped into our state from the Gulf.  Every afternoon is storms.  Heck, 10-miles down the street from my office, the finals of the Columbia regional between Virginia and Old Dominion got rained out on Monday night.  They played at 10 a.m. on Tuesday hoping to beat the afternoon storms.  Its a good thing they played that early because it freaking poured starting mid-afternoon.  

What is this rain you speak of? Can you send some to California? We're back into major drought conditions...

3 hours ago, lawump said:

I saw the monsoon they were trying to play in ... unreal.

My son and I spent the weekend dodging the rain and constant rescheduling to watch the Oxford Regional. 

On a side note: they may not have won, but Southern Miss put on one hell of a hitting clinic over the weekend. 

Their first game they lost with 9 hits.  The next game they won 21-0 on 24 hits and 6 homeruns.  Their third game they put up 12 more hits with 2 homeruns.  Their fourth game 13 hits and a homerun.  Fifth game 11 more hits, 6 of which were homeruns.  69 hits and 15 homeruns over 5 games was something to see!