Mark Wegner (MLB #14) Wearing A Skully

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1046 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

9 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Is this a special item just for the MLB guys or is it a mass market item?

It's mass market: https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/SC900UMP/All-Star-Cobalt-Umpire-Skull-Cap

I took a flush shot yesterday and barely felt it.  Hard to compare shots obviously, but I'm sure without the skull cap it would have been much worse. 

• Like 1

I pulled the trigger and purchased the All-Star skully about a month ago.  I let it sit in my bag for a couple of weeks before I finally wore it.  I love it!  I took a shot direct to the mask yesterday (Wilson Dyno light with memory foam), and literal felt nothing but the pressure of the ball against the mask.  I do get some looks from coaches when I walk out to the plate meeting, but I'm sold on it.  I've also worn a HSM for years, but I like wearing a regular mask and the skully much better...

• Like 1

I was at that game, about 400 fett away, directly down the right field line, and noticed it. Looked pretty good from what I saw, even if I'm still getting used to the look of it. I'm still going to wait for it to become more mainstream before adopting it myself, but I'm interested in using one in the future.

I worked a men's league game yesterday and the combination of controlled pitching, free swings and a hard, turf field sent a LOT of foul balls clanging around and off the backstop. I could have easily been drilled in an unprotected area...I am rethinking this skully now.

~Dawg

• Like 1

I have been wearing the Colbalt since January. Love it. Feels like I have a hat on yet the protection of a batter. I am locked in and won’t go back to not wearing one. Safety first.

• Like 2

UPDATE - Well, I've taken 3 more shots to the mask/helmet area, and I'm more and more convinced that the skully is my newest, bestest buddy, LOL.  Also, I saw an MLB umpire with the logo on the front of his skully, so I had a friend of mine make a vinyl sticker of our association logo for mine...will post a pic when I put it on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tcasterlin said:

UPDATE - Well, I've taken 3 more shots to the mask/helmet area, and I'm more and more convinced that the skully is my newest, bestest buddy, LOL.  Also, I saw an MLB umpire with the logo on the front of his skully, so I had a friend of mine make a vinyl sticker of our association logo for mine...will post a pic when I put it on...

Definitely please let us know - I tried putting a flag sticker on the back and even though the area was small and relativity flat it didn't stick at all.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rhinolith said:

I want one, but they don’t make it yet for size 8 hat size. I hope they get around to it soon.

Did you try the XL? I wear a 7 3/8, but I'm using a combo of M and L pads. When you wear it in games and get warm it loosens up some.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rhinolith said:

I want one, but they don’t make it yet for size 8 hat size. I hope they get around to it soon.

I wear a 7 5/8 normally and it fits nicely for me. I would give it a go if I were you.

• Like 1