I used to umpire high school baseball, so I am familiar with the DH rule.

This season I am doing PA announcing for the high school softball team. I did a little research to prepare myself on the DP/Flex. This happened in the last game. I am perplexed by it.

The lineup handed to me by the coach featured a straight 9 - no DP/Flex. Now, I have no idea if he changed his mind pre-game and gave a different lineup to the umpires...but I am not sure it matters.

In the 3rd inning, he enters a substitute to pitch. She enters in the 9 hole. The original pitcher stays in the game and plays OF. She was batting 6th.

In the 4th inning, the sub pitcher takes a plate appearance. In the 6th inning, the original batter in the 9 hole re-enters and bats.

In the top of the 7th, the pitcher who subbed into the 9 hole, comes back to the circle.

How can a sub leave the game and be brought back in? I have to be missing something.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFHS rule 3-3-5 

ART. 5 ... Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup. A starter and any substitute for a starter may not be in the game at the same time. A violation results in illegal substitution.