MLB Ejection 005 - Jerry Layne (1; Joe Maddon)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1103 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Jerry Layne ejected Angels Manager Joe Maddon (Replay Review bona fide slide non-interference, safe and out calls; QOCY) in the top of the 3rd inning of the #Angels-#BlueJays game. In the bottom of the 2nd, with none out and two on (R1, R2), Blue Jays batter Danny Jansen hit a 1-1...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Gil said:

HP Umpire Jerry Layne ejected Angels Manager Joe Maddon (Replay Review bona fide slide non-interference, safe and out calls; QOCY) in the top of the 3rd inning of the #Angels-#BlueJays game. In the bottom of the 2nd, with none out and two on (R1, R2), Blue Jays batter Danny Jansen hit a 1-1...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I am on board with the fact that R1 was already outside the line between 1st and 2nd, so he didn’t veer that way to slide, but what about the fact that his slide included his legs going towards center field.

that is not a natural slide...you either go in hand first to bag or feet to bag, you don’t throw your legs to F8 and then reach out to the side for the bag.

so while he didn’t RUN in a different direction, he certainly slid with the clear intent of using his legs to impede the DP attempt.

still nothing in OBR?

36 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

so while he didn’t RUN in a different direction, he certainly slid with the clear intent of using his legs to impede the DP attempt.

still nothing in OBR?

The evidence provided in the incident concerns pro baseball, in particular MLB, and not all OBR. And that evidence is that this kind of slide satisfies the pro requirement to slide to the base. MLB umpires and supervisors get to say what the rules mean for their games. No INT.

Many amateur leagues supplement OBR with slide rules, and some of those simply adopt FED's slide provisions (with or without the FPSR). Without seeing the specific language, it's hard to know, but if FED is the model this would be a FPSR violation (illegal slide).

40 minutes ago, maven said:

The evidence provided in the incident concerns pro baseball, in particular MLB, and not all OBR. And that evidence is that this kind of slide satisfies the pro requirement to slide to the base. MLB umpires and supervisors get to say what the rules mean for their games. No INT.

Many amateur leagues supplement OBR with slide rules, and some of those simply adopt FED's slide provisions (with or without the FPSR). Without seeing the specific language, it's hard to know, but if FED is the model this would be a FPSR violation (illegal slide).

Thanks Maven, I wasn’t aware MLB and OBR differed, as I usually hear OBR referred to as “pro rules”.

Learn something new everyday!

What you heard isn't wrong, but MLB has level-specific interpretations not shared by other pro leagues. And amateur ball typically supplements pro rules, as I mentioned, with safety rules.

Pro rules are written for adult men playing a professional game, and they are in many ways unsuitable for amateur and youth players and games.