Batter Interference?

Guest Kyle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1083 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

NFHS.  Passed ball.  Runner on 3rd attempting to score.  Batter interferes with pitcher covering home.  However, there was truly no play at the plate.  Runner crossed home before catcher even recovered the ball.  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest Kyle said:

NFHS.  Passed ball.  Runner on 3rd attempting to score.  Batter interferes with pitcher covering home.  However, there was truly no play at the plate.  Runner crossed home before catcher even recovered the ball.  

Then there was no interference. Interference of this type has to involve some sort of hindrance to the defense.

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

Then there was no interference. Interference of this type has to involve some sort of hindrance to the defense.

Matt is correct, but just to elaborate, interference must hinder a fielders opportunity to field a ball or make a play, to impede their opportunity to make an out.

So while the pitchers progress was impeded (based on what you said), since there was no play; there was no “callable” interference

6 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

I should clarify; the exception would be intentional interference.  If the batter didn’t know or realize there was no chance on the runner and intentionally initiated contact with the pitcher, then you’ve got it

That's still not interference, because there is no play being hindered. It may be something else, but it isn't interference.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

That's still not interference, because there is no play being hindered. It may be something else, but it isn't interference.

Matt, you’re correct, my apologies, this is why I should only read these when well  rested :)

Intentional only applies to batted balls and throws in regards to interference.

I guess you either have malicious contact or nothing in my hypothetical situation