Since I don't umpire fall baseball, and I opted out last year- I umpired my first game since 7/2019 last night.

HS Varsity, 7-3 game.  Having not umpired in over a year and a half, I missed a few pitches the first inning and a half.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I don't umpire fall baseball, and I opted out last year- I umpired my first game since 7/2019 last night. HS Varsity, 7-3 game.  Having not umpired in over a year and a half, I missed a few

LOL I miss a few every game... not because I want too, but for one reason or another. Sometimes, my timing is off, sometimes the catcher does a poor job of receiving it, sometimes it's something else.

1 hour ago, philaump said:

Since I don't umpire fall baseball, and I opted out last year- I umpired my first game since 7/2019 last night.

HS Varsity, 7-3 game.  Having not umpired in over a year and a half, I missed a few pitches the first inning and a half.

Well, welcome back.  Your post didn't have a whole lot of info to respond to...even after many games in a short amount of days, people will miss pitches sometimes.  Timing and tracking...be deliberately slow while you get back into the flow of baseball and seeing different pitches.  Take your time, watch the whole pitch into the mitt, then make a decision, then signal.

If you only missed a few early on after a year and a half, you're doing just fine

LOL I miss a few every game... not because I want too, but for one reason or another. Sometimes, my timing is off, sometimes the catcher does a poor job of receiving it, sometimes it's something else... that's part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like you did great!  And more importantly I hope you had fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShaunH said:

Well, welcome back.  Your post didn't have a whole lot of info to respond to...even after many games in a short amount of days, people will miss pitches sometimes.  Timing and tracking...be deliberately slow while you get back into the flow of baseball and seeing different pitches.  Take your time, watch the whole pitch into the mitt, then make a decision, then signal.

If you only missed a few early on after a year and a half, you're doing just fine

I don't do fall ball, because I have a lot invested in football (Season ticket holder for an NFL franchise).  Add on that I opted out of doing the leagues that wound up playing due to COVID- that's why.

My timing was off early.  I know some things mechanically were off as well...  

Nobody complained- I guess everyone was glad to finally be back.

38 minutes ago, philaump said:

I don't do fall ball, because I have a lot invested in football (Season ticket holder for an NFL franchise).  Add on that I opted out of doing the leagues that wound up playing due to COVID- that's why.

My timing was off early.  I know some things mechanically were off as well...  

Nobody complained- I guess everyone was glad to finally be back.

I would not worry about it then.  Most everyone is getting back into it.  Shaking some rust off during the 1st live game.  Meh  who cares..

Now 5 games from now if you still feel the same then well maybe there is something there.