• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because (sadly) adults can’t be trusted.  Any time there’s a pitching / batting / fielding (tee, pitching machine, etc) device on the field, it ain’t an official game. Period.  Kids have bee

Maybe he was taking pictures of you taking pictures of him to post on his social media telling his friends not to be “that guy” taking pictures of fellow umpires to try to shame them. Just a thought..

Every umpire starts somewhere...I just see a young man who hasn't been trained up. Of course, the job can't be done by just anybody. This photo makes me think of my childhood. When you smell a ba

Posted Images

Maybe he was taking pictures of you taking pictures of him to post on his social media telling his friends not to be “that guy” taking pictures of fellow umpires to try to shame them. Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Every umpire starts somewhere...I just see a young man who hasn't been trained up. Of course, the job can't be done by just anybody.

This photo makes me think of my childhood. When you smell a baseball glove for the first time...or bust a single and go hard into second for a double. When you are 8 years old on a ball field and you make a huge play, you think in that moment you're going to play pro ball.

So it was with going from umpires dressed like this young man above to playing a game with "real" umpires wearing the uniform. I don't know that an umpire is a better umpire for wearing the uniform we wear but, there's a reason umpires wear the uniform we wear.

I remember stepping to the plate and looking down and seeing the plate umpire's patent leather plate shoes...remember those? The lights of the ballpark shone back at me like the light of a thousand suns. The ballbags, the shiny belt, the 1 stitch beanie cap, dry cleaned and pressed button down shirt and wool slacks...all of it. You just took one look (if you dared) and the game felt bigger suddenly. I'm 8 years old and here's a grown man looking like he's ready to call the zone for Sox/Yanks, game 7.

I say all of this to say...When human beings achieve something in this world, we have an obligation to help others trying to achieve that same thing. LL and other youth baseball leagues and organizations require a lot of money and volunteer effort to make them go. I urge all of you working scholastic and above, please contact your local LL or youth baseball organization and find out what their umpiring needs are. Give what you can, give 'til it hurts...help train young umpires, get the word out on social media you are collecting used umpire gear to distribute to your local leagues, consider working a game gratis when you can or make a donation. Every little bit helps. This game has given us much...and I'm not talking about game fees. We must give something back to the game.

~Dawg

• Like 3

Is that even an umpire? Looks like just a dude helping out. Either way, who cares, he's at least doing something to get those little kids playing. Why do they even need umpires for this level of game anyway? It's one step above t-ball.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, ousafe said:

I think he was pulling double duty as scorekeeper using gamechanger. Two game fees?

It's a prototype of the "new and improved umpire indicator" being discussed in another thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, scrounge said:

Why do they even need umpires for this level of game anyway?

Because (sadly) adults can’t be trusted. 

Any time there’s a pitching / batting / fielding (tee, pitching machine, etc) device on the field, it ain’t an official game. Period. 

Kids have been able to play stickball and all manners of “-lot” ball for decades, all without scorekeepers and umpires. Heck, at tournaments I/we work, the younger brothers _and sisters_ will be playing their own version of baseball, completely without adult involvement, in the grass of the concourse between fields and having a blast. 

Meanwhile, their 12 & 13 -year old brothers are standing around on the “real” ball field as one kid struggles agonizingly to throw a ball 60 feet. 

• Like 4