• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a Charcoal... sorta. The Charcoal CP’s official designation is the A3217, but that specifically refers to the model with non-patent Velcro tabs anchoring the pad vest to the carapace plates. As

Fairly old. I remember my buddy with this model with a red W 10-12 years ago and that sticker was before that. 

Posted Images

I think the umpire nickname for that is a Wilson Silver(?). It is a less expensive version of the gold. Instead of the velcro straps holding down the plates. They are riveted to the padding.

Still a very good cp.

That sticker was when the MLU brand was in existence...I know it was around in 1998 and 1999, but don't know if it existed before then (and I'm pretty sure it ended with the 1999 decertification.)

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I think the umpire nickname for that is a Wilson Silver(?).

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Isn't that what they called the "Charcoal"?

It is a Charcoal... sorta. The Charcoal CP’s official designation is the A3217, but that specifically refers to the model with non-patent Velcro tabs anchoring the pad vest to the carapace plates. As noted (by Arik), this is using rivets thru-and-thru, so the pads are not removable. Which means it predates the WestVest Platinum, which has a model number of A3215. Thus, the CP in question is likely a lower model number (which I haven’t been able to find... yet). 

The rivets thru-and-thru do tip off that this CP was around the same time as the WestVest Original, possibly when Joe West had his name on the Douglas version. You’ll also notice that the MLU by Wilson sticker isn’t an aftermarket sticker, because it’s also present on the “matching” shin guards! Yup, these were marketed and sold as a set. I’m just speculating, but I estimate this was marketed this way – with focus on MLB Umpires, but not (yet) Joe West specifically – because Joe wasn’t yet under the Wilson banner. 

What this all amounts to, for me, is that we’re looking at a product that is pushing more towards 30 years old instead of 20... and further reinforces my disdain of Wilson and their sloth on improvement of their products. 

That couch foam has gotta be flat by now! 

• Like 3